U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:15 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,615,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Austin... for obvious reasons???

Maybe you could expand on that thought, you have everyone in Houston and Dallas confused. Maybe it is the misconception that Austin is so much more liberal than the big cities in Texas? Maybe it is time to open your mind a little
The city bleeds great music, that's the obvious reason. It's also one of America's best educated cities. I'm sure there must be things in big, diverse Dallas and Houston that a lot of people may find absolutely peachy. And that's fine by me, to each his own. But if they don't have my major requirements, they just aren't places I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
It's obvious that Austin has done a great job in marketing itself as the only place in Texas that's worthwhile.

Too bad it's not true. Though I find it a bit funny when people find that out the hard way... don't say I didn't tell you so! (I mean, if you go to NY would you visit Albany over NYC?)
Hey, if Austin can market themselves as the number one destination for a certain demographic of society, you can't really be mad that those people choose this over other cities in the state.

It isn't that I find anything wrong with the other cities. It's just that I have a very exclusive list of cities that I actually would bother going to. I of course wouldn't object to going to other places, but I'm not tripping over myself to get there.

I mean, if you want to pay me travel and lodging expenses, I'd visit in a heartbeat. But I think I'll focus on going where I really know I'll like first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 08:23 AM

5,230 posts, read 11,674,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i feel so bad WV has the reputation it does
Its honestly incredibly beautiful. one of the most underrated states
I would love to go to WV and/or live there. It is so beautiful. Someone I know just moved to WV and he and his family are enthralled by its beauty.

I saw a documentary on TV the other day about how they're blowing up mountain after mountain so more coal mines can be developed, hence support American's waste of energy. I got very teary eyed watching it and watching people in Charleston picket about this. It's so sad.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,360,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
The only places I have no interest in visiting are those very backwards areas of any state where the people are

1) inbred
2) still fighting the Civil War
3) uneducated, uncivilized, and ghetto
4) too rural and isolated
5) as superficial, plastic, and pathetic as Orange County, CA appears
6) white trash or hillbilly or redneck
7) mainly Republican/Conservative/Neocon
8) living in a high crime area
Well, I would say that just about includes EVERYWHERE these days. Looks like you'll be staying home, Alexus.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-30-2008, 09:34 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,360,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
The city bleeds great music, that's the obvious reason. It's also one of America's best educated cities. I'm sure there must be things in big, diverse Dallas and Houston that a lot of people may find absolutely peachy. And that's fine by me, to each his own. But if they don't have my major requirements, they just aren't places I need to be.
I suppose that depends on your definition of GREAT MUSIC. I have watched "Austin City Limits" on PBS a few times and there isn't anything on there that turns me on. To me GREAT MUSIC is somthing performed by a large band (horns, woodwinds, etc.), and something that you would want to dance to (traditional dancing that is). I do not consider someone plunking on a guitar and singing about his laundry as "great music" YMMV.

I have not heard much GREAT MUSIC lately. Maybe in Las Vegas, or NYC, but certainly not Austin. On the other hand, if you know of a place that plays this kind of music there, please, please share because we'll be driving through this February, and I would be happy to stop for a bit and enjoy it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 AM

5,429 posts, read 13,176,307 times
After living in Austin for several years, I was never that impressed by anything I saw there either.

Oh, and marketing yourself as good at something is not the same thing as actually being good at something.

Eventful, Inc. Press Release: THE NEW 2008 ‘MOST EVENTFUL CITIES’ RANKINGS WILL SURPRISE
Top cities for Music Lovers (The most music events)
1. New York, NY
2. Branson, MO
3. Chicago, IL
4. Los Angeles, CA
5. Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I suppose that depends on your definition of GREAT MUSIC. I have watched "Austin City Limits" on PBS a few times and there isn't anything on there that turns me on. ...
I have not heard much GREAT MUSIC lately. Maybe in Las Vegas, or NYC, but certainly not Austin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

Hey, if Austin can market themselves as the number one destination for a certain demographic of society, you can't really be mad that those people choose this over other cities in the state.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:00 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's a surefire test to determine if you are a halfwit:

1) Do you actually refuse to visit any state?

2) If you said, "Yes," then you are a halfwit. No ifs, ands, or buts. Yes, you may be smug about it in your latte-swilling way, and yes you may wear stylish clothing. But you are the intellectual kin to every knuckle-dragging, backwoods lackwit who ever resembled an extra in Deliverance.

Why? Because every state in this country is pretty cool in its own way. Even dinky states like Rhode Island and Delaware have some really amazing places, both natural and manmade. And every state has plenty of smart, engaging people. Now, they may not necessarily think the way you do, but isn't that kind of the fun of life?

Now, I sure as heck wouldn't want to live in Bimidji, Minnesota, in the middle of winter. And I wouldn't want to live in Needles, Arizona, in August. But there are more cool things to see and do in every state than you can possibly experience in a lifetime.

In short, life is a banquet, and you're starving to death. Get out and explore the country, and leave the superior attitude at home.
I was with ya 100% until you started with the stereotyping. There are rural and urban folk who enjoy new experiences. Some dress stylishly, some don't. Some sip lattes and others slurp sweet tea. Some dress fashionably and others prefer "overhauls". I've got something in common with all of 'em, and I think you do too!

If I could give you half-a-rep, I would, because your point is a good one, in spite of the backhand.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:06 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^Keep it a secret! I like WV and I'm not the "rural" type. If no one's interested, and they think it's a terrible place, then the people in WV who like their peace and quiet benefit.

I'll go anywhere. Some places rank behind others, and some I'd only go to if someone else footed the bill. There really isn't anywhere I wouldn't go (except a radioactive or active war zone). There are places I've been that I don't want to go back to, but there are more places I've been that I'd like to see again. I love to travel... which is why I'd take the opportunity to go anywhere if it were given to me.
Me too! RE: WVA, I went through there on a train one summer and found the natural beauty of the state stunning! Liked the people I met there, too!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:22 PM

3,667 posts, read 8,773,741 times
In the US:
Most of West Virginia
Eastern Kentucky
Most of Michigan
Parts of Pennsylvania
Mississippi
Missouri
Kansas
Nebraska
Oklahoma

Around the World:
Iraq
Cuba
Colombia
Somalia
Sudan

Old 12-30-2008, 12:31 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,323,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I can just never get threads like this. I would love to travel to every place in the us, even if it is almost third world ghetto. That way, you would have a better understanding on the US and it's Citizens. I see travelling somewhere as a oppertunity to obtain knowledge I never would have had before.

People listing whole states can't be for real. Example, South Dakota. How could one really not want to visit the Badlands or the Black Hills? Their intellectual capacity to want to visit beautiful areas, or see amazing geology must really be very shallow. Some people are only happy in stripmalls in Wexford, PA though.
I agree 100% and then some.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:01 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
In the US:
Most of West Virginia
Eastern Kentucky
Most of Michigan
Parts of Pennsylvania
Mississippi
Missouri
Kansas
Nebraska
Oklahoma

Around the World:
Iraq
Cuba
Colombia
Somalia
Sudan
How could you be against visiting Missouri? Kansas City, Saint Louis, Lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock Lake, great landscape....etc.?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or