U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Bergen County New Jersey resident relocating to New England or upstate New York for career change opportunities, ski trips, rental properties, home caretaker opportunities

Old 03-04-2007, 09:08 PM

12 posts, read 37,661 times

Advertisements

Hi;
I have lived in NJ (Bergen County) for my entire life, and now, at age 51 I have had enough. I am currently employed as a Sr Electronics Tech at a mid-sized company. I no longer enjoy or even tolerate the work, and I really need a major change of scenery.

I have been renting the same apartment for 20 years, and now have finally decided to get out. I will be leaving on May 31, 2007.

I would like to:
A) Change careers - not sure what I want to do, but writing and photography are very interesting to me, but I do not have any professional experience in either field.
B) Change Locale.
I do not want to stay in NJ. I have visited New England and upstate NY on ski trips, and really think I would like living in one of those areas.

I realize that jobs aren't easy to find in rural areas, and not having any professional experience beyond my current field in electronics makes changing to another difficult.

I believe I have enough cash to get a place to live on a month-to-month basis for several months while I search for a job.
I am also willing to take just about anything I could tolerate just to get started.

I have always felt 'at home' in New England (VT, NH, ME) and upstate NY (Lake Placid / Saranac region) when I have visited.
I think that I need to get away from the hassles of 'city' life here in NJ.

Thanks for any help

FW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 11:37 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,510,727 times
I'm most familiar w/NH as my parents live there, and somewhat familiar w/the other states simply from passing thru and visits. They are not all alike. Maine has a very high cost of living for some reason.....all kinds of taxes. Southern ME is very much an extension of Mass. imho, and coastal Me is very pricy. A lot of writers and other artists seem to gravitate there because of a history of being a refuge for unhappy city folk. The NY Adirondacks region to me seems to be the least dynamic, although that could be a good thing. There isn't much going on up there except tourism, and instead of a refuge for Boston folk it is a refuge for NYC folks, for what thats worth. Taxes may also be an issue. I would look at VT or NH more seriously, especially the northern half. Hanover, NH - nearlyhalf way up on the Conn. River has 2 institutions that may be very valuable to you: Dartmouth College, and a very good hospital (you're still young, but some day etc....) You'll find Vermont quite liberal and regulated, and NH the polar opposite, at least in the north country. That has an effect on how people treat the land and their properties. VT has more affluent areas, NH one might say is bit more rough and rugged. Note that NH has no sales tax - but a rather high tax on property/assets. I would look at some smaller cities like St. Johnsbury VT, Littleton NH, Whitefield NH, Montpelier VT. These areas would fit my needs; enough energy and social interaction, but still quite small and old fashioned. Not sure about your needs....

Old 03-06-2007, 12:24 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,636,135 times
Default One thing to consider

As mentioned most of New England is pricey. Long gone the days of Bohemian living or even a Thoreau type existence. Most of those places will also try to run your life, even if you have no money.

One way to finese it is to look for a caretaker type position for larger or more expensive properties. A number of those should be available. Places where people with better incomes / assets own houses / estates / farms, etc maybe don't want to be there all the time. It is dangerous to leave it unoccupied for long periods, vandalism can be a problem in Yankeeland. Plus they need the normal care, maybe help with paperwork, getting the mail, general house sitting, etc.

Should be able to find situations all over New England. Sort of like permanent house sittting.

I considered this when I bailed out of Boston as a temporary way to get housing and maybe a place to store my junk. Rents are expensive even in the boonies. Renting anywhere can be a hassle.

Might be a way to get the basics, housing, etc which can be the major costs. Some might pay a nominal wage / salary, some not. Usually depending if they expect some type of repair / maintenance functions. It should also afford the opportunity to have quite a bit of free time to persue other interests. You could wind up in quite desirable circumstances without major costs.

Preferred is probably someone like yourself. Usually they want an older single male or couple without childern with no attachments or baggage. If you can prove a stable working life, have interests long term in such a position, no bad habits, be reliable, getting such a position should not be that difficult. If you have the basic repair type skills / tools that is a super plus.

The little work I did looking for such positions turned up many, that was a couple of years ago. Lots in the Boston suburbs further out with bigger estates. Up in ME, most New England states. I probably could have gotten a position with just a phone call and being able to pass a good background check to verify my qualifications with no problem. It never came to that and I just moved out of New England. No Regrets. It is not everybody's cup of tea.

Just web searching should turn up sites looking for caretakers. Was how I found them.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:25 AM

12 posts, read 37,661 times
Thanks for the good info. I never thought of caretaker positions. I think I might be well suited for such work, as I have experience in electrical and some plumbing, and know how things work.

Talk about upstate NY being more of a tourist area than anything else...
There is 'The Point' located on Saranac Lake where the least expensive suite, room, whatever you call it will set you back $1200 per NIGHT!!

I have been to Vermont and NH on many occasions. Spent a lot of time skiing in VT, and hiking in NH. Been to the Mt. Washington area, as well as Manchester area, and Lake Winnipesaukee area. I have to agree that NN is more 'rugged' than VT, with less buildup, although the south east being so close to Boston is more like the suburbs I live in.

In VT I have been to Burlington, plus most of the ski towns. I liked Burlington. Probably very expensive though.

I will spend some time web surfing and then take a drive or two up to the areas that interest me.

I have also been thinking about a 'fall-back' plan if all else fails... Hike the AT <g>

FW

Old 03-18-2010, 11:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,990,188 times
i have several degrees, and i am a professional chef, who relinquished a sucessful business a few years ago. clientele were upscale---most very upscale. i have envisioned a situation where i could become a complete caregiver, personal garvegive, artist, and traveling companion to a person who wishes to remain in their estate house. i have thought of several ways in which i could accomplish my goals. i would make a commitment to completely care for employer personally, drive, escourt, do the marketing, care for livestock, etc., etc. in the south, many of the old wealth have caretakers. my maternal grandmother had a female caretaker until my grandmother;s death, many years after my maternal grandfather's death. seems to me, that there would be many well-to-do or uber wealthy who wish to remain in their homes. i have a certificate in health occupations, play piano, play the pipe organ, drive an automobile, sing oratorio music, love the theater, and i love livestock, and domestic animals. i have several antiques with which to decorate a caretakers cottage, carriage house, or bulter's quarters. there is a gazette on line; however, i don't know if that is worth a starting place. i am well educated, no children, and love snow and cold weather and cool summer nights. above all, i have character, i am honest, and i am one heck of a cook and gourmet.

i know, for the area, there have to be several people who could benefit from what i am offering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or