U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 02:49 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,430,475 times

Advertisements

About Minneapolis:
1. Everyone is white
2. Everyone is Scandinavian in ancestry
3. Everyone talks with a funny (like in Fargo) accent
4. It's cold and snowy all year

About Los Angeles:
1. Everyone is either a blonde rich artificially-enhanced would-be starlet OR a gun-toting, swaggering gangster
2. No one walks and/or everyone drives
3. There's no public transportation (there's even a subway! It works pretty well.)
4. It's all white people and Mexicans (there's huge diversity in every way, including plenty of hispanic people from places other than Mexico)
5. There's no history
6. There's no downtown (there is, and it's a bustling place)
7. It's one big suburb
8. The weather is always nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 05:45 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,764,884 times
Albuquerque: That it is fictional.

ABQConvict

Old 02-09-2009, 05:54 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,488,428 times
Fort Myers (these are all false misconceptions):

1. That it's the most dangerous small city in America
2. That swarms of mosquitoes descend on the population every night.
3. That Fort Myers is a coastal city.
4. It's one huge retirement center.
5. That the sheriff is a bigot (thanks to the Hussein comment he made during the campaign)
6. That it's 80 and sunny all year long
7. That this is a "cheap" part of Florida.
8. That everyone is either a grandpa hiding in a gated community, a Confederate redneck in a trailer park, a dangerous black gangster or an immigrant that refuses to learn English.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:07 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,057,748 times
A common misconception about Boston is that everyone is liberal.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:47 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,060,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
A common misconception about Boston is that everyone is liberal.
I think it's mostly conservatives who listen to talk radio who believe that. Here's the logic according to talk radio. Democrats and liberals are one and the same; Boston's voter registration is heavily Democratic, therefore everyone in Boston is a liberal.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:09 PM

2,154 posts, read 2,666,952 times
Chicago:

the largest slaughterhouse on the planet that became largest pork trading market on the planet.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:12 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,057,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I think it's mostly conservatives who listen to talk radio who believe that. Here's the logic according to talk radio. Democrats and liberals are one and the same; Boston's voter registration is heavily Democratic, therefore everyone in Boston is a liberal.
Even if Democrat=liberal, there's not as many Democrats as people would expect. I mean, they're a majority, but I have a feeling there are some people that think everyone in Massachusetts is a Democrat.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:41 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,079,511 times
San Francisco common misconceptions.
1.Everyones a snobby rude yuppy
2. Its a "p***y city"/theres no "ghetto"(seen more fights both regular people and gang fights here then when I lived in NY/Chi combined.)
3. The city hates black people
4. Gays run a muck committing lewd acts in public.
5. Theres no working class/No ones approachable or down to earth.
6. Hippies and Hobos/Panhandlers infest the parts of the city that arent run by business men in maseratis.
7. We arent good sports fans.
8. Were to "afraid" to venture into Oakland (Ive actually heard this but I grew up in Hunters Point and then and still have friends/family in East Oakland and have never been scared to visit)
9. Where the only city/place in Northern California..(look at a map! lol northern california stretches along way after SF)
10. Were all faaaaaaaaar left democrats and our minds are still in the 60s counterculture era (true for some people)
11. Were just a huge tourist city and nothing important economically happens here/theres no important businesses here(ever use google/yahoo/craigslist? those are only 3 of a looooottttttttttttttttt of important businesses here)
12. Were raised to hate L.A...wait ok that has truth to it.
13. We lack in fashion..to that I can only facepalm and assume the people who said that to me is on some mind altering drug.
theres plenty more though I couldnt think of off top..feel free to add!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:38 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,060,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Even if Democrat=liberal, there's not as many Democrats as people would expect. I mean, they're a majority, but I have a feeling there are some people that think everyone in Massachusetts is a Democrat.
I think it has to do with predominance. I believe MA is the bluest state in terms of registered voters.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,458,339 times
Tucson:

1. Tucson, and many areas of the desert have no history like the East Coast - The city as it is known now (Tucson) was established in 1775 (the oldest Catholic church still in use is San Xavier del Bac near Tucson which was constructed between 1783 and 1797), and the area now known as Tucson is also one of the oldest continuously inhabited sites in North America.

2. Tucson is always hot or warm in Arizona - Today, I woke up to find snow falling in parts of town.

3. People use too much water - Tucson Water's 733,000 customers are conserving so well that they've put the water utility into a financial hole. The city water department expects to run $15.4 million short, compared with revenue projections for fiscal year 2008-09, which ends June 30. - Arizona Republic.

4. Tucson has inadequate public transportation - Tucson has extensive bus service, and is putting in tracks right now for a modern streetcar system (similar to Portland's, yet less extensive) in and around the downtown and University areas.

5. That Arizona as a whole is conservative - Liberals edge out conservatives in the Tucson area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.