U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:20 PM

56,501 posts, read 80,803,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Ji-ik-do-wah-gah, or "place of the crabapple tree." from the Erie-Seneca Indian language---Cheektowaga, NY. That is where I grew up, the eastern suburbs of Buffalo.

Yes, there are many reservations in New York, all through the state and when I did some research, I was surprised to find that there are more Indians in New York than Colorado.

The only large Indian Reservation that I am aware of in Colorado is the Ute, in the remote southwest corner of the state.It is probably is larger than the reservations in New York but the population is less. Of course, in history there were many tribes which influenced earlier settlers but I know of no reservations today, on the plains or mountains near Denver.

Most people would assume with the "Cowboy and Indian" stories that people in all areas of the west are influenced by Native Americans--that is not true, at least for the Denver Metro area. However, on the whole, the west has a large amount of Native American Reservations and influence in other states.

I interfaced more with Indian names, reservations, lore, history, and school lessons when I lived in New York; I certainly met more Native Americans in Western New York than in Denver.

That is also a big misconception about New York State--that it is all cities; It has farms, mountains, wilderness and very rural areas that have not changed for generations.

Livecontent
So true. They think the whole state is like NY City. Actually, the county, the town I grew up in, an area school district and the local Native tribe all use the name Onondaga, which means people of the hills. Also, they don't call themselves Iroquois. That is what the French called them. They are a part of the Haudenosaunee(sp?) federation. Here's their flag too:http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/u/us-iroqh.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 12:31 PM

6,308 posts, read 6,960,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
Two most common ones: alcohol is very hard to get or nonexistent, and everyone is Mormon. I'm sure everyone knows what city I am talking about.
I almost thought you were talking about Salt Lake City...but then I realized it couldn't be. Cause isn't everyone mormon there?

Old 01-02-2009, 03:07 PM

56,501 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I almost thought you were talking about Salt Lake City...but then I realized it couldn't be. Cause isn't everyone mormon there?
I think the poster is talking about SLC.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 AM

61 posts, read 239,810 times
This is a great thread!

I think Oklahoma City may be seen as boring and conservative. Granted, it is. Haha, but it is improving, and that's what counts. Bricktown is getting new hot spots constantly, and while Oklahoma in general is still rather conservative, the liberals are starting to come out of the woodwork. We have a couple of info shops, a growing gay community and like I said an improving night life.

Midwest City though, which is my hometown and a suburb of Oklahoma City, has a much tougher rep. of being ghetto. I've only had my car broken into once in the 6+ years I've been here. I went to the high school here, where we had constant gang fights and plenty of weapons found on campus (including guns, eeeeeeessh!) - but I think it's a lot of talk. There is nothing "ghetto" about Midwest City, or any place in Oklahoma really. I'd like for those who think so to take a walk through some of the nation's truly tough streets. All this Blood v. Crips stuff is put off by a lot of wannabe thugs who wouldn't survive long out in the real world of gang violence. That's not to say shootings and crime don't occur. It's my home though, and I feel more comfortable here than I did living in Edmond, Oklahoma's more weathly suburb.

I'm still headed towards Seattle, though

Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 PM

559 posts, read 1,607,750 times
^^ midwest city does suck, so does your little brother of del city. are you really serious about feelig safer there than edmond? give me a break. lived in both towns and that is crazzzy talk.

oklahoma city: the vast majority of people, like everyone, do not dress like cowboys. i think the only time people look like that is when some horse show or rodeo are in town and then its the visitors that dress that way.
we do not live in the dust bowl. stop thinking that.
we do not ride horses.
we did not steal the supersonics.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:19 PM

61 posts, read 239,810 times
Fromdust,

Haha - I know, I think it's a matter of your comfort zone. My neighbors in Edmond were way more shady than any characters on my street in MWC. But, like I said, it's my hometown so I know it well and am comfortable with it. Edmond to me is like... mars. Plus the drivers suck! haha

I won't argue that Midwest City/Del City aren't run down though. Have you been back since the 29th st. shopping center opened up? That side of MWC, towards Tinker, is shaping up all right. The rest though... it's going downhill fast. I plan to get the hell out of dodge before it gets much worse.

Your points are good ones, though.
We're not all white hillbillies, either.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 PM

11,972 posts, read 27,610,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the poster is talking about SLC.
And I think you need to learn to recognize sarcasm!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 PM

64 posts, read 66,587 times
Atlanta, Atlanta, Atlanta, where to begin.

1. Atlanta is the hip-hop capital of America and embraces the thug culture to the fullest. In reality some people do live that culture that live in the rough parts of town but Atlanta also has the fastest growing millionaire population, plenty of white washed suburbs, and some of the richest african american areas in the country so there definitley is an educated upperclass here and not everyone here is an aspiring rapper/thug.

2. That it is the capital of the south or the largest city in the south. The title largest city in the south belongs to Houston, Dallas, Jacksonville or Charlotte before it belongs to us. Atlanta does have a reigonal influence and is a very important city but to suggest that the majority of people in Texas or Virginia give a hoot about what goes on in Atlanta is laughable.

3. That Atlanta is a very large city with almost a million in population. Not even close, ATL has just over 500,000 people in its city limits but has over 5 million in its metro area, both intown ATL and metro ATL have been exploding in growth over the past couple years but Atlanta the city takes up a rather small amount of area while its metro area sprawls over 28 counties which is what gives the impression that ATL is bigger than it really is.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:26 PM

202 posts, read 685,207 times
I lived a long time in Fort Wayne, Indiana, here are some of my own misconceptions, as well as others I have heard from people since I've moved, and the truth I found out...

1.) Fort Wayne is all corn fields and manufacturing- In reality Fort Wayne was a very diverse, actually one of the most diverse mid-size city, with tons to do such as the midwest's largest nightclub, most art galleries per capita in U.S. urban areas, the best library system I have ever encountered, a great zoo, great restaurants, and Indiana's largest shopping mall. Sure twenty or so miles out it was all cornfields, but it wasn't like I had to be around it all the time. Also, the majority of the industry seemed, to me at least, to be in the insurance and medical industry, with most of its manufacturing gone years ago. I believe the school system, a hospital, and the library system are the city's largest employers.

2.) It is a very conservative city- Now, I would probably say that the majority of the people in the city call themselves conservative republicans, but it is mostly in line with old style conservatism, which resembles what some call blue collar democrats- meaning being fiscally responsible, not getting in the way of other people's rights, having the government play a smaller role in society. Now, I don't agree with all that necessarily, but the very ultra right wing, evangelical, fascist conservative I was expecting was very much the minority there. They even have a democrat mayor there and a very stable progressive movement.

3.) I was only going to see white, stereotypical "all-american" people- While white people were the majority of folks in Fort Wayne, there were still many minorities and diversity. Fort Wayne has the largest population of Burmese poplulation outside of Burma and Broadway is considered one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the country, with people of black, white, hispanic, and asian ancestry all living in the same buildings, living in the same streets, going to the same movie theaters. However, from what I hear all go to different churches, the majority of white people are german lutherans, hispanic people go to spanish speaking catholic churches, black people go to a variety of protestant churches, and most of the asian people, that I knew at least, were Buddhist or Hindu. Also, there is a very strong, though small, LGBT community with several different night clubs and a few neighborhoods that cater to those in that community.

4.) It was going to be a dry city- Truth be told, Fort Wayne is the most drunk city I have ever been to, minus maybe Vegas. People in Fort Wayne don't have a few drinks, they drink until they are falling out of their chairs, which is probably why there are also so many drunk driving arrests and accidents.

5.) They only listen to square dancing- Fort Wayne has an extremely vibrant music scene, with punk and metal music definitely being the most common thing you will hear on a night out during the weekend. If you don't like those styles, there are several night clubs that play what you'd expect to hear, also there is a very diverse and large hip hop community in Fort Wayne representing the Fortress, as most call it, very well. But, definitely if anyone is into finding fun local music, go to myspace and search Fat Ass, Utah Spirit Babies, Sub-Surface, the Sods, the Staggerers, Sankofa, and the B-Sharps. All are really fun and always my favorite to catch when I was out and about.

If anyone else has heard anything else about Fort Wayne, go ahead and throw it out there and I will do my best to honestly tell you if it is true or not.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:42 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,204,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac138 View Post
I lived a long time in Fort Wayne, Indiana, here are some of my own misconceptions, as well as others I have heard from people since I've moved, and the truth I found out...

1.) Fort Wayne is all corn fields and manufacturing- In reality Fort Wayne was a very diverse, actually one of the most diverse mid-size city, with tons to do such as the midwest's largest nightclub, most art galleries per capita in U.S. urban areas, the best library system I have ever encountered, a great zoo, great restaurants, and Indiana's largest shopping mall. Sure twenty or so miles out it was all cornfields, but it wasn't like I had to be around it all the time. Also, the majority of the industry seemed, to me at least, to be in the insurance and medical industry, with most of its manufacturing gone years ago. I believe the school system, a hospital, and the library system are the city's largest employers.

2.) It is a very conservative city- Now, I would probably say that the majority of the people in the city call themselves conservative republicans, but it is mostly in line with old style conservatism, which resembles what some call blue collar democrats- meaning being fiscally responsible, not getting in the way of other people's rights, having the government play a smaller role in society. Now, I don't agree with all that necessarily, but the very ultra right wing, evangelical, fascist conservative I was expecting was very much the minority there. They even have a democrat mayor there and a very stable progressive movement.

3.) I was only going to see white, stereotypical "all-american" people- While white people were the majority of folks in Fort Wayne, there were still many minorities and diversity. Fort Wayne has the largest population of Burmese poplulation outside of Burma and Broadway is considered one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the country, with people of black, white, hispanic, and asian ancestry all living in the same buildings, living in the same streets, going to the same movie theaters. However, from what I hear all go to different churches, the majority of white people are german lutherans, hispanic people go to spanish speaking catholic churches, black people go to a variety of protestant churches, and most of the asian people, that I knew at least, were Buddhist or Hindu. Also, there is a very strong, though small, LGBT community with several different night clubs and a few neighborhoods that cater to those in that community.

4.) It was going to be a dry city- Truth be told, Fort Wayne is the most drunk city I have ever been to, minus maybe Vegas. People in Fort Wayne don't have a few drinks, they drink until they are falling out of their chairs, which is probably why there are also so many drunk driving arrests and accidents.

5.) They only listen to square dancing- Fort Wayne has an extremely vibrant music scene, with punk and metal music definitely being the most common thing you will hear on a night out during the weekend. If you don't like those styles, there are several night clubs that play what you'd expect to hear, also there is a very diverse and large hip hop community in Fort Wayne representing the Fortress, as most call it, very well. But, definitely if anyone is into finding fun local music, go to myspace and search Fat Ass, Utah Spirit Babies, Sub-Surface, the Sods, the Staggerers, Sankofa, and the B-Sharps. All are really fun and always my favorite to catch when I was out and about.

If anyone else has heard anything else about Fort Wayne, go ahead and throw it out there and I will do my best to honestly tell you if it is true or not.
Very true. I'm not from Fort Wayne, but I can say that a good ~75% of this is true.

People from Ft. Wayne also have a tendency to hype up the city more than it really is. Someone actually had the nerve to tell me that Ft. Wayne was the largest city in the Midwest. I looked at him like he was crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.