Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I almost thought you were talking about Salt Lake City...but then I realized it couldn't be. Cause isn't everyone mormon there?
Well... they do rule the state legislature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM

202 posts, read 763,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Very true. I'm not from Fort Wayne, but I can say that a good ~75% of this is true.

People from Ft. Wayne also have a tendency to hype up the city more than it really is. Someone actually had the nerve to tell me that Ft. Wayne was the largest city in the Midwest. I looked at him like he was crazy.

There are some very ignorant people that live in Fort Wayne, as well, just like in all cities, and many, many people who live in Fort Wayne never have lived anywhere outside of it. To say that a city that has like under 300K population is the largest in the midwest makes no sense though. It isn't even the largest city in Indiana, by a long shot.

Out of curiosity, do you mean that you have encountered 75% of what I wrote, or you think 25% is untrue? Do you need me to clear anything up or did I write it in a way that made it seem like something it wasn't?

Anyway, I don't want to defend Fort Wayne to the death, I was just surprised by how much the city, well, surprised me.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:57 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac138 View Post
There are some very ignorant people that live in Fort Wayne, as well, just like in all cities, and many, many people who live in Fort Wayne never have lived anywhere outside of it. To say that a city that has like under 300K population is the largest in the midwest makes no sense though. It isn't even the largest city in Indiana, by a long shot.

Out of curiosity, do you mean that you have encountered 75% of what I wrote, or you think 25% is untrue? Do you need me to clear anything up or did I write it in a way that made it seem like something it wasn't?

Anyway, I don't want to defend Fort Wayne to the death, I was just surprised by how much the city, well, surprised me.
What I meant was that 75% of what you wrote is true from personal experience, especially the part about it being a nice mid-sized city and that people get drunk all the time. I haven't really explored too much into local politics, though.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:58 PM

202 posts, read 763,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
What I meant was that 75% of what you wrote is true from personal experience, especially the part about it being a nice mid-sized city and that people get drunk all the time. I haven't really explored too much into local politics, though.
Alright, I understand. Just trying to get any other input anyone may have to offer, thanks!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:55 AM

17,789 posts, read 13,682,006 times
OKC:

Dust storms and tumbleweeds.

Lived in and out of OKC area since 1973.

Have seen maybe 2 dust storms. (Very mild compared to the ones I've seen on a regular basis in west Texas).

I have never seen a tumbleweed in any part of Oklahoma except for the western 1/5th and the Oklahoma panhandle.

Have never seen one in OKC area.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:53 PM

61 posts, read 261,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
OKC:

Dust storms and tumbleweeds.

True - I have never seen a tumbleweed in all my life in Oklahoma.
New Mexico, however, is a different story (for dust storms, too!). Though I must say that New Mexico is an amazingly beautiful state. Miss it terribly, tumbleweeds and all.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times
New York City (I'm sure I'll just be scratching the surface here):

Myth: Everyone lives in a high-rise apartment. Fact: High rises are relatively uncommon outside Manhattan and some clusters in the outer boroughs. I grew up in a house with a backyard, which is not at all unusual in Staten Island, eastern/central Queens or south Brooklyn.

Myth: New Yorkers are rude. Fact: New Yorkers are polite, but business-like. It's a subtle distinction, but an important one.

Myth: New Yorkers are "sophisticated." Fact: There's eight million of us. Do you honestly believe every single one of those people is some kind of urbane elitist? Even a majority? Think again.

Myth: The outer boroughs are ugly, dangerous and boring. Fact: The outer boroughs, where most New Yorkers live, have loads of safe, attractive areas with plenty to do. Many of the things people associate with New York come from the outer boroughs.

Myth: New York winters are very cold. Fact: If you're from California, I suppose it would be an adjustment, but New York winters are generally quite tolerable.

That's all I got for now....

Old 01-05-2009, 07:41 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
I'll do my hometown of Lansing, Michigan, although I don't currently live there.

1. Everybody works in manufacturing, particularly the domestic auto industry. There is a GM presence on many levels, but those jobs have mostly vanished. State government, higher education, health care, and (I think) the insurance industry employ more people than GM does in the area.

2. It's a pure blue-collar area. The metro area actually has a higher percentage of residents with bachelors degrees than the national average.

3. Lansing is basically the same as Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, etc. I'm going to tread carefully with this one, since these other cities also have a lot of negative misconceptions about them as well. Yes, Lansing does have lower crime rates and slightly lower unemployment rates by comparison. There are negatives that Lansing has in comparison with some of the others as well. I'm just going to say that they're... different. In fact, each city is different from each other, having different demographics, strengths and challenges they need to face.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
People think Lexington is an overgrown college town with lots of shopping, red lights that hold 10 minutes, and that everything revolves around UK sports - and they're right

Louisville is more complicated and most people I know have an unbalanced view of it. People who only go to the hipper urban areas along Bardstown Rd and Frankfort Ave think Louisville is the next Austin or Nashville, a city with Young Professionals out the wazoo. Other people have only been to the industrial, lower middle class parts of town and think the city is basically filled with beer drinking NASCAR fans and wannabe gangsters. In reality Louisville isn't as educated as Austin or Nashville and also has a much more diverse economy than Toledo or Youngstown.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I've finally decided what I want to write. I live in Lubbock, Texas, and it has misconceptions even within the state. Here are some of the misconceptions I have come across the most often:
1. Lubbock is in the desert- We recieve about 20" of rainfall a year on average. Granted, this is not anywhere near what the Eastern US receives, but it is more than just about every other urban area in the Western US. The land around Lubbock is grassland and farmland.

2. Lubbock is an oil town filled with rednecks- We are really a college town whose main industries are education (Texas Tech), healthcare (the best hospitals between Dallas and LA), and agriculture (10% of the world's cotton is grown in the Lubbock area). Lubbock has one of the highest doctors per capita rate in the nation.

3. Lubbock is not diverse- Lubbock is actually one of the more diverse cities for its size. It is about 45% white, 30% Hispanic, 10% Black, 10% mixed race, and 5% comprising of the various Asian countries. About 100 nations are represented in Lubbock.

4. Lubbock is ugly- The terrain immediately arround Lubbock is treeless farmland, which isn't the best looking, but the city itself is green and landscaped, modern, and clean. I would post pictures but I don't have the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.