Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 11:06 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times

Advertisements

What are some common misconceptions about your city?

I don't live in St. Louis, but from talking to those who do, I've learned enough to realize a few misconceptions:

Misconception #1: All of St. Louis city is extremely dangerous
Reality: Not true. There are decent neighborhoods to live in. How about Lafayette Square, Soulard, St. Louis Hills?

Misconception #2: St. Louis is flyover country.
Reality: Far from the truth. There's a lot to do in St. Louis: Baseball, hockey, football, various art and history museums, one of the best Zoos in the country (and it's free). Of course there are other things, like brewery tours (Schlafly and Anheuser-Busch). There are also natural wonders within a couple hours of the city, like Lake of the Ozarks.

Misconception #3: St. Louis is a little Chicago
Reality: To me, this is a misconception. St. Louis is not little anything. St. Louis is what it is. St. Louis has it's own character and history.

Yes, St. Louis has a lot of things to fix, but I don't think the ideas about St. Louis being inhabitable or a cesspool are correct. The city is so vast it's hard to find one way to categorize it.

What are some misconceptions about your favorite city or the one you currently live in?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 11:07 AM

550 posts, read 2,168,242 times
Two most common ones: alcohol is very hard to get or nonexistent, and everyone is Mormon. I'm sure everyone knows what city I am talking about.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:38 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
Two most common ones: alcohol is very hard to get or nonexistent, and everyone is Mormon. I'm sure everyone knows what city I am talking about.
Well, the vast majority of people in the U.S. come from cities where there are pretty much NO Mormons, so you can see why they might get that idea about Salt Lake City. I had no trouble getting a beer there myself while staying downtown, but the residential neighborhoods don't exactly have a plethora of "corner taverns" like you might find in most Northern cities.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:42 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Misconceptions about Chicago:

1. It's a manufacturing town. Chicago now has a lower percentage of it's economic activity in manufacturing than the U.S. average, and the Chicago economy is very diverse and bustling with white collar activity.

2. Chicago has a polar climate. Winters can be rough here, but several Northern cities have it worse.

3. Chicago is a dangerous place. Sure, we've got a crime issue in Chicago. But vast swaths of the city are very safe, and I'd say Chicago is among the few American cities where urban life has been pefected for the upper classes.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:50 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
1. you'll get shot walking into the city limits (there seems to be a lot of cities with this misconception)

2. it snows form sept to may.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:09 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
1. you'll get shot walking into the city limits (there seems to be a lot of cities with this misconception)

2. it snows form sept to may.
You must be talking about my hometown of Rochester!

These are definitely misconceptions about Rochester. There are a number of nice areas in the city (N Winton, Park Ave area, Corn Hill, Upper Monroe, U of R area etc. ) and I have rarely ever seen it snow there growing up in Sept. Oct. or May

Old 12-29-2008, 01:14 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Kansas City: That it's in Kansas, even though a majority of the metro's population is in Missouri. All the touristy stuff one hears about is in Missouri.All the major sports venues are in Missouri, except for the Kansas Motor Speedway, which they can have. The hub city, Kansas City, is in Missouri. There's a Kansas City, Kansas right across the state line, but it's much smaller.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
We produce a lot of steel. We use to, not anymore.

That our city is smoky and smoggy. That American Lung Association study is BS. They do the study 25 miles from the city next to one of the few coke plants in the metro. In any given city neighborhoood our air is clean.

The city is all about the Steelers. Pittsburgh has a lot of cultural assets, museums, theaters, etc. There is more to do than get drunk and watch the Steelers. Although getting drunk and watching the Steelers is fun too, there is just more to do.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM

196 posts, read 992,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Kansas City: That it's in Kansas, even though a majority of the metro's population is in Missouri. All the touristy stuff one hears about is in Missouri.All the major sports venues are in Missouri, except for the Kansas Motor Speedway, which they can have. The hub city, Kansas City, is in Missouri. There's a Kansas City, Kansas right across the state line, but it's much smaller.

I am monumentally confused

Old 12-29-2008, 01:31 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
^ hes saying KC is not in Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.