Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Knoxville: We all drink moonshine made in a still. Definitely not true.

In what do you make that moonshine you all drink, if not a still?

Okay, now seriously . . . do you really encounter that belief (that you all drink moonshine)? As in many people who seriously believe that? From some of the posts I've seen on this forum here and there, it wouldn't surprise me if you did. Anyway . . .

Last edited by ogre; 12-29-2008 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
JHG722
befriend Join Date: Sep 2008
1,091 posts, read 212,472 times

[Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
Boston is filled with nothing but latte-sipping, pseudo-liberal, wannabe-sophisticate homo hipsters.

Bostonians are unfriendly.]

For the first one, I hate to say it, but it's not really far off. For the second one, from my brief time in Boston for college, I found this to be exceedingly true. (quote, JHG272)

First one: All those blue-collar boys in the old neigh-buh-hoods would beg to differ. (Remember, I didn't say that those hipster types weren't there, just that they aren't Boston's entire population.)

Second: Maybe the part about your spending a "brief" time there explains that. You didn't have time to find your way into the more intimate settings where people let their hair down. Although I have to admit that if you were there for college, your time there must not have been all that brief. Maybe I just have a feel for how to communicate in Boston. Or maybe I'm just a super-nice, likeable guy who can make friends anywhere. And if you believe that last one . . .

Last edited by ogre; 12-29-2008 at 11:31 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 11:38 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,487 times
Las Cruces, New Mexico: You must speak Spanish to make it here.

While only 45 miles from the border, totally untrue. I used City-Data a lot before I moved here in '07, and one of my main questions was wondering about the language barrier. I thought the city was much smaller than it actually is, and I envisioned the only job I would find would be as a dishwasher in a Mexican restaurant. Truth - everything is English here, but you will hear Spanish spoken A LOT around you. Most people do speak English or are bilingual. I work for a company of about 20 employees where most have Spanish surnames, but only 3 people are bilingual (as far as I've heard). The person in my office who provides most of the translation services for our Spanish-only customers (which are a minority) is a lily-white woman who sounds (in English) like she may have come from Chicago or the Northern US somewhere.

Just today I overheard a girl yakking on her cell phone in pure Spanglish - her sentences were broken between English & Spanish, depending on what language got the message across better. I was actually delighted to hear this - yet so many despise it.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:10 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
ATLANTA:

- The city's crime rate is as bad as Detroit. That there are no safe neighborhoods, and everyone is poor.

- The city as a whole looks like Detroit.

- There are absolutely no trains or buses.

- There is absolutely nothing to do there.

- It is just one giant suburb with no urban centers.

- Everyone is a Southerner/country/redneck/hick, and closed-minded and ignorant toward other cultures

Last edited by SEAandATL; 12-30-2008 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 12-31-2008, 08:01 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
Cleveland...

Some people still think the river is on fire.

Its not.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:41 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Dude, you guys caught a freakin river on fire. We have three rivers that we destroyed, but yet none of them ever caught fire. You will never be let go for that.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:51 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Cleveland...

Some people still think the river is on fire.

Its not.
Are you sure? I think the Cuyahoga is still on fire-- at least it was last week.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:16 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Youngstown -
- no one actually wants to live here.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:27 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
San Diego
-people here only care about looks and designer clothes (SD has some of the most laid back, casually dressed people in the US)
-everyone is conservative (the county is evenly split between Dem's and Rep's)
-we're dumb (SD is one of theTop 10 most educated cities in the US)
-it's warm year round (it was in the 40's this morning)

Bay Area (where I am from originally)
-everyone is a far left hippy and only votes democrat (know plenty of republicans and more conservative minded people there)
-we hate the military (Bay Area has a long military history and supports them)
-we actually support and stand behind all of the BS that comes out of SF and Berkeley (many people outside of those cities in the Bay Area think those two cities just go too far many times)
-people are very hippy and intellectual (plenty of fashion/looks obsessed people, meatheads, and wannabe thugs.)

Last edited by sav858; 12-31-2008 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-31-2008, 11:40 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,278 times
[quote=sav858;6776076]San Diego

-it's warm year round (it was in the 40's this morning)

QUOTE]

For December that's damn near tropic in some places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.