Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:39 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times

Advertisements

Stuck in a bad neighborhood while traveling? My European History teacher told me, during class in my Houston school, some tips about how to stay out of trouble when in a bad neighborhood.
* Do not show fear - Act confident, as if you know the area
* Act purposeful - do not loiter
* Do not ask for directions from bystanders

Does anyone else have any other tips for bad U.S. neighborhoods in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 06:59 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
*Carry at least one pistol
*Carry at least one knife
*Don't shave for at least a week, blend in
*When you pee on the street, be sure to check the wind
*Never step directly on sleeping bums
*Any cars with unlocked doors, if she cranks friend she's yours
*Keep your hands in your pockets at all times
*Anyone who glances your way, say "You looking at me" with hands still in pockets
*If you are walking behind some girl, be close enough to feel her heat, act like a stranger
*At ATM's stand off to the side with your hands in your pockets
*Call all other males, Sir or Bro

Old 03-05-2007, 08:47 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Stuck in a bad neighborhood while traveling? My European History teacher told me, during class in my Houston school, some tips about how to stay out of trouble when in a bad neighborhood.
* Do not show fear - Act confident, as if you know the area
* Act purposeful - do not loiter
* Do not ask for directions from bystanders

Does anyone else have any other tips for bad U.S. neighborhoods in general?
Blend in. If your wearing jewelry hide it. Turn rings w/ diamons around to only look like a simple band. Acting confident and aware is the best bet in ANY area be it a well to do area or bad neighborhood. If you have to talk to someone talk their "language" find the common denominator. Way back when, when I was in school I was with some friends in another part of town, still a good area but it was the "rival" schools "area". Some guys saw us and did not recognize us so they started in about the whole school thing, so I noticing these were the "stoners" and such and not the crowd that was "into" school just said, "yeah, we go there" in a very unhappy way. "School sucks. Can't wait to be out of that he11". Then these guys were all chummy and we parted ways on friendly terms. When we got into our car the friends I was with were like, "wow, THANKS!".

I've been around the country and the world in some areas that were not probably "the best" place for a female to be alone and I was just MORE aware of my surroundings and acted like I had a purpose and knew right were I was going.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:50 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
wear lots of cheap cologne
whistle dixie while walking backwards

scream-jumping Jahosphats every other second

Old 03-05-2007, 09:38 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post

LOL That's pretty funny! That type of behavior is actually not that uncommon in big cities... like "our" town Philly, for instance. hehe

Old 03-05-2007, 09:59 AM

484 posts, read 1,944,064 times
Act crazy. Run into traffic. Talk to yourself loudly about the martians that are putting thoughts in your head. Emit mysterious grunts frequently. Scream "I hate you!" at the walls. Tell people that you're Jesus.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Two good solutions to the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post

And accept no less than $20 from all the "Dates" those moves attract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
Act crazy. Run into traffic. Talk to yourself loudly about the martians that are putting thoughts in your head. Emit mysterious grunts frequently. Scream "I hate you!" at the walls. Tell people that you're Jesus.
Yeah that will work in Boston and you don't even have to be in a bad neighborhood. If all else fails scream I lost my map to the half way house.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:01 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
lol Lots of jokesters here today.

I work in the city, and I have to visit people in bad areas, in their homes. Here's what we are taught to do:

1. Do not wear jewelery.
2. Do not wear flashy clothes.
3. Do not wear high heels.
4. Drive through an area before parking, to determine the safest/best place to park. Also determine safety points - if you need help once you are out of the car, where is the safest place to run? If there are loiterers hanging around the area you want to go, don't go. You can always come back later.
5. Don't leave anything remotely desireable in your car. The front and back seats of my car are completely empty, there is no temptation for someone to break a window and take anything out.
6. Walk with your car keys in hand.
7. Walk with your head up, back straight.
8. Keep a map in your car; do not stop and ask just anyone for directions. Gas attendents where I live are almost always foreigners and can never give good directions. If you must stop and ask for directions, stop at a public, well-lit, large place, like a major grocery store, chain restaurant, bank, etc. Ask someone who works there.
9. Do not carry a purse, handbag, wallet, etc. I lock my bag in my trunk before I go out, because it is more likely I will get mugged than have my car stolen. In the event you get pulled over, you can tell the policeman your I.D. is in the truck and the policeman will allow you to get it out.
10. If you are approached by someone, stay calm. If they talk to you, make eye contact. They could just be a normal person - or they could be a criminal looking to attack or mug you. If you appear confident, they may back off. If they ask for your money, keys, jacket, whatever, just give it to them. (If you are like me and left your stuff in your trunk, there will be nothing to lose.) Nothing you are carrying is worth your life. Unless you are highly trained in self-defense, I would not recommend reacting with violence. If someone does attack you, make as much noise as possible. If you are in a truly high-crime area, it is very unlikely anyone will come to your aide (as they fear for their own life), but it is likely someone will at least call the police. Your priority should always be guarding your life and well-being, not guarding possessions.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:11 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,221 times
This is SO silly! It's not like these rules are only for bad areas in America. These very basic advice lines apply for any and all places on Planet Earth.

You'll find them in any travel guide for each and every one of the 50 states in the US, and Europe and so on.

Don't wear high heels? Well, gimme a break, you all! Simply stay in the perfectly-fine areas of town and you'll be OK.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:40 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,147 times
I allways say run like h*ll & scream like a little girl

the car keys you want the longest sharpest one sticking out from between your fingers with your hand in a fist to hopefully poke an eye out or cut if need be.

then you have to watch for smash & grab or the bump & rob, smash & grab not much you can do about that except keep stuff off of the passenger seat.

the bump into the rear of your car deal they anticipate you stoping then they walk up to your door and shoot you, rob or carjack you so not a good idea to stop for anything even stop signs just slow then roll right on though if it looks clear.

stop lights if you get stuck at a red never pull up close on the car in front of you, then the guy in back pens you in and you have nowere to go, allways leave yourself an out & if something doesn't look good run that light, same holds true for trains leave room to jump a curb or whatever it takes to get clear.

don't expect the cop to help by the time they get there it will be too late, carry a knife with the handle partly shaved down so you can flip it open fast & have a better grip, box cutter, heck some carry old straight razors, i have seen some carry an old double sided stubby prunning saw, nobody's going to grab that from you, even a hand gun if need be, anything to give you a slight edge mayby, but allways remimber if your not going to use it the other guy will or take it away from you in the blink of an eye.

i'm not condoning violence but when push comes to shove it's either you or them, only takes a few seconds and the game is over.

but when traveling your in a strange town, you have no idea were anything is and allmost every time your going to make that wrong turn and go oh oh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.