Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:22 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

As for those two being the richest in all of sports, I would think the New York Yankees would have something to say about that.
Nope. It is indeed the Dallas Cowboys.
Forbes in 2007 (http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/09/13/nfl-team-valuations-biz-07nfl_cz_kb_mo_cs_0913nfl_land.html - broken link)
Quote:
The Dallas Cowboys have toppled the Washington Redskins from their 7-year reign as the world's most valuable sports franchise, Forbes reports in its annual rankings of NFL teams. Dallas edged out the Redskins ($1.467 billion) and stayed...ahead of other top franchises: the New York Yankees ($1.2 billion) and Manchester United ($1.453 billion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 PM

910 posts, read 2,984,318 times
I like how the teams are set up. I love the NFL the way it is and I don't think it needs any more new teams or any switching teams around in the division. It would feel so odd if Dallas wasn't in the NFC East. As a die hard Pittsburgh fan I can't imagine what it would be like with out the Baltimore Ravens. AFC South is the right division for Indianapolis. It has the same style of teams in that division and this year they had some compitition with Tennessee. If Miami wasn't in the AFC East I don't know what I would do. All the teams that might seem out of proportion on a map seem to fit just right on gamedays.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:27 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nope. It is indeed the Dallas Cowboys.
Forbes in 2007 (http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/09/13/nfl-team-valuations-biz-07nfl_cz_kb_mo_cs_0913nfl_land.html - broken link)
Got me.....I would have thought the Yankees would be #1, but they are up there.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:35 PM

332 posts, read 524,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
I like how the teams are set up. I love the NFL the way it is and I don't think it needs any more new teams or any switching teams around in the division. It would feel so odd if Dallas wasn't in the NFC East. As a die hard Pittsburgh fan I can't imagine what it would be like with out the Baltimore Ravens. AFC South is the right division for Indianapolis. It has the same style of teams in that division and this year they had some compitition with Tennessee. If Miami wasn't in the AFC East I don't know what I would do. All the teams that might seem out of proportion on a map seem to fit just right on gamedays.
Right on! Also, keep in mind with that division Tennessee isn't that far away from Indianapolis, and the Tennessee Titans used to be the Houston Oilers, and now there's a new team in Houston. Similar situation with Baltimore/Cleveland.

And, in the NFC West, there's the bi-annual Kurt Warner bowl between the StL Rams and the formerly StL Cardinals (StL people used to call them the "Gridbirds" or the "Big Red" or the "Football Cardinals," or in my dad's case the "Big Pink" to differentiate them from the baseball Cardinals) in the NFC West. In the ring of honor in the Rams stadium, there's both Rams players and Big Red players. Also that division still has the Rams/49ers rivalry, and Seattle is a logical addition.

Another note, the KC Chiefs are in the AFC West, as the "easternmost western city." Not only their historic rivalry with the Raiders (in the '60s the Chiefs and Raiders owned the AFL), but their cultural affiliations with the west make this appropriate.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2009, 09:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
Another note, the KC Chiefs are in the AFC West, as the "easternmost western city."
Yeah, except for the Rams which you already mentioned but apparently cannot place on a map...

Old 01-03-2009, 10:50 PM

332 posts, read 524,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Yeah, except for the Rams which you already mentioned but apparently cannot place on a map...
Since when is St. Louis considered part of the west other than being nicknamed the Gateway City (and the NFL)?

Old 01-04-2009, 11:42 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
Since when is St. Louis considered part of the west other than being nicknamed the Gateway City (and the NFL)?
You're right. What the hell was I thinking?
National Football Conference West Division - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh wait, I'm right! What the hell were you thinking?!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:15 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
The Redskins were on radio stations in each of these markets every Sunday. They also had a huge following in each of these cities. Marshall was also in love with the song "Hail to the Redskins," which ended in "Fight for Old Dixie." Keep this in mind because it will come into play. In comes Texas millionaire Clint Murchison Jr. who wanted to bring a franchise to Dallas but was having a hard time. He was in negotiations with Marshall to purchase the Redskins but the deal fell through at the last minute. Murchison then went the expansion route but was repeatedly blocked by Marshall’s deciding vote.

Murchison discovered that Marshall's band director who wrote the song "Hail to the Redskins" had a falling out with the owner. He then bought the rights to the song for $2,500 and used it as leverage to get Marshall to vote him into the league if he returned it to Marshall. In the DC area, it was well known at the time that Marshall was a racist. The Federal Government was about to evict Marshall out of RFK and the NFL threatened sanctions if Marshall continued to keep black players off the team. He finally backed down and Bobby Mitchell (Hall of Famer) became the Redskins' first black player.
The description above (some of which I deleted) was pretty accurate, excluding the bolded part above. RFK Stadium (then known as DC Stadium) was built on federally-owned land, and the federal government basically required the Redskins to integrate if the team wanted to play at the new stadium. The Redskins were allowed to move into the stadium when it opened in 1961, and then acquired Bobby Mitchell from the Cleveland Browns (where he was stuck backing up Jim Brown) prior to the 1962 season.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Yea Baltimore is not in its correct group

Old 01-04-2009, 12:24 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
Personally, the whole "Cowboys must stay in the NFC East to be the Redskins'/Eagles'/Giants' rival" circa 2009 is a bunch of baloney to me, and I say that as an Eagles fan. You can't tell me those latter 3 teams couldn't develop rivalries with the Carolina Panthers if they joined the NFC East in place of the Dallas Cowboys. Furthermore, it was by chance that the Cowboys were placed in the NFC East in 1970, and from what I was told recently (can't confirm its accuracy) the NFL considered moving the Cowboys to the NFC South in 2002 but the New Orleans Saints objected. If the Redskins in particular couldn't survive without the Cowboys as a rival, then what does that say about the Redskins?

If it were up to me, the following teams would switch divisions:

Miami - AFC East to AFC South
Baltimore - AFC North to AFC East
Indianapolis - AFC South to AFC North
Dallas - NFC East to NFC West
Carolina - NFC South to NFC East
St. Louis - NFC West to NFC South

Moving the Cowboys to the NFC West rather than the NFC South probably makes more sense for both the NFL and the Cowboys, primarily due to the greater number of potential 4:15 PM start times for Cowboys games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.