U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:36 AM

58 posts, read 181,903 times

Advertisements

"I’d rather be a lamppost in Chicago than a millionaire in any other city."
-William A. Hulbert

"Once you've become a part of this particular patch, you'll never love another. Like loving a woman with a broken nose, you may well find lovelier lovelies, but never a lovely so real."
-Nelson Algren

"I’m impressed with the people from Chicago. Hollywood is hype. New York is talk. Chicago is work."
-Michael Douglas

"I adore Chicago. It is the pulse of America."
-Sarah Bernhardt

"But when I go to Chicago, I know I’m home."
-Hank Sauer

"Chicago is a city of contradictions, of private visions haphazardly overlaid and linked together. If the city was unhappy with itself yesterday-and invariably it was-it will reinvent itself today."
-Pat Colander "A Metropolis of No Little Plans" NY Times 5 May 85

"I miss everything about Chicago, except January and February."
-Gary Cole

"I’ve reported murders, scandals, marriages, premieres and national political conventions. I’ve been amused, intrigued, outraged, enthralled and exasperated by Chicago. And I’ve come to love this American giant, viewing it as the most misunderstood, most underrated city in the world. There is none other quite like my City of Big Shoulders."
-Irv Kupcinet

"Chicago is unique. It is the only completely corrupt city in America."
-Charles Merriam

"Hog butcher for the world,
Tool maker, stacker of wheat,
Player with railroads and the nation’s freight handler;
Stormy, husky, brawling,
City of big shoulders."
-Carl Sandburg

"Chicago is not the most corrupt American city. It’s the most theatrically corrupt."
-Studs Terkel

It is hopeless for the occasional visitor to try to keep up with Chicago–she outgrows her prophecies faster than she can make them. She is always a novelty; for she is never the Chicago you saw when you passed through the last time."
-Mark Twain

"My first day in Chicago, September 4, 1983. I set foot in this city, and just walking down the street, it was like roots, like the motherland. I knew I belonged here."
-Oprah Winfrey

"I love Chicago; it is unique in the world. So much intellect, so many artistic voices - it has fantastic potential (as an Olympic candidate)."
-Jerome Sans, Director Ullens Center, Beijing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 01:37 AM

58 posts, read 181,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post

"Chicago is the great American city, New York is one of the capitals of the world, and Los Angeles is a constellation of plastic; San Francisco is a lady"
- Norman Mailer
Actually the quote was more encompassing:

"New York is one of the capitals of the world and Los Angeles is a constellation of plastic, San Francisco is a lady, Boston has become Urban Renewal, Philadelphia and Baltimore and Washington wink like dull diamonds in the smog of Eastern Megalopolis, and New Orleans is unremarkable past the French Quarter. Detroit is a one-trade town, Pittsburgh has lost its golden triangle, St. Louis has become the golden arch of the corporation, and nights in Kansas City close early. The oil depletion allowance makes Houston and Dallas naught but checkerboards for this sort of game. But Chicago is a great American city. Perhaps it is the last of the great American cities."
-Norman Mailer

Old 12-30-2008, 01:42 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,483,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixKick View Post
Actually the quote was more encompassing:

"New York is one of the capitals of the world and Los Angeles is a constellation of plastic, San Francisco is a lady, Boston has become Urban Renewal, Philadelphia and Baltimore and Washington wink like dull diamonds in the smog of Eastern Megalopolis, and New Orleans is unremarkable past the French Quarter. Detroit is a one-trade town, Pittsburgh has lost its golden triangle, St. Louis has become the golden arch of the corporation, and nights in Kansas City close early. The oil depletion allowance makes Houston and Dallas naught but checkerboards for this sort of game. But Chicago is a great American city. Perhaps it is the last of the great American cities." Norman Mailer
Ah, I stand corrected. A great quote none the less. I've always liked the Carl Sandburg quote you included in your previous post.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:45 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,404,067 times
Norman Mailer clearly wasn't in the Chi during the winter, nor was he aware of the gangster culture and political corruptness...

Old 12-30-2008, 04:29 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Fair enough. But my town is very small...there are no quotes about it.
But there are alot of scared barnyard anmals there...... No offense to any other cd posters from that town, just intended for widowmaker

Old 12-30-2008, 04:33 AM

43,538 posts, read 52,626,787 times
Dallas...

Well, we call it 'Big D.'

Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 PM

311 posts, read 453,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dallas...

Well, we call it 'Big D.'
ha

Old 02-25-2009, 11:57 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,092,008 times
Houston is a difficult town to find any quotes about, but Texas quotes are easy:

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas."
Davy Crockett

"Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."
Molly Ivins

"If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, then it's good enough for Texas."
Ma Ferguson

"If I owned Hell and Texas, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."
Philip Henry Sheridan

"All new states are invested, more or less, by a class of noisy, second-rate men who are always in favor of rash and extreme
measures, but Texas was absolutely overrun by such men."
Sam Houston

"Saskatchewan is much like Texas - except it's more friendly to the United States."
Adlai Stevenson

"I just want Texas to be number one in something other than executions, toll roads and property taxes."
Kinky Friedman

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you. If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?"
John Gunther

Old 02-25-2009, 01:37 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
"From the ashes, we have raised a brave and beautiful city." - Henry Grady, editor of the Atlanta Constitution and renowned orator, 1886.

Henry W. Grady on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuzquiano/154409627/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.