Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:42 PM

312 posts, read 507,157 times

Advertisements

today on the subway I had time to look at the writings (the ads or what you'll call it) and saw in "subtalk" this quote:
"There are roughly three New Yorks. There is, first, the New York of the man or woman who was born there, who takes the city for granted and accepts its size, its turbulence as natural and inevitable. Second, there is the New York of the commuter--the city that is devoured by locusts each day and spat out each night. Third, there is New York of the person who was born somewhere else and came to New York in quest of something. Commuters give the city its tidal restlessness, natives give it solidity and continuity, but the settlers give it passion."
they have this and other stuff written on the subway.
also, the radio commentators or whatever they are, always say "In the greatest city in the world, it's --- o'clock"

please post here all the quotes or other stuff that you hear/see about the city you're in.

every time I hear "the greatest city" I keep wondering if it's true. what are other cities like? I see lights and action in other cities too (in pictures) so I wonder if what they say is true, or just some kind of pride that EVERY city has?

Last edited by Bo; 12-29-2008 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: Updated thread title to make it easier to find with search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:45 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
They say the greatest city because I think they mean NY's massiveness and how if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere. That's why it's given the name the greatest city.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:04 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Of course other cities have sparkling lights. Let them glitter all they want, but they can't touch New York. Yes, it's THE GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 PM

312 posts, read 507,157 times
could a non new yorker post here? get me some quotes from your city
also, who changed my title?
I'm not complaining I like it better this way

Old 12-30-2008, 12:37 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,459 times
Well, to be fair, I don't actually live in San Francisco (actually, I live several hours to the East), but when native Northern Californians talk about 'The City', it always has and always will mean San Francisco (so when you speak of my city, I think of S.F.).

"The ultimate [travel destination] for me would be one perfect day in San Francisco. There's no city like it anywhere. And, if I could be there with the girl of my dreams, that would be the ultimate!"
-Larry King

"We're crazy about this city. First time we came here, we walked the streets all day, all over town and nobody hassled us. People smiled, friendly-like, and we knew we could live here. We'd like to keep our place in Greenwich Village and have an apartment here, God and the Immigration Service willing.
Los Angeles? That's just a big parking lot where you buy a hamburger for the trip to San Francisco."
-John Lennon and Yoko Ono

"It{California} is the land where the fabled Aladdin's Lamp lies buried-and she {San Francisco} is the new Aladdin who shall seize it from its obscurity and summon the genie and command him to crown her with power and greatness and bring to her feet the hoarded treasures of the earth."
- Mark Twain

^^Which is pretty much what happened.

"Leaving San Francisco is like saying goodbye to an old sweetheart. You want to linger as long as possible. "
- Walter Cronkite

"It's an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be seen in San Francisco. It must be a delightful city and possess all the attractions of the next world."
- Oscar Wilde

"Fancy a novel about Chicago or Buffalo, let us say, or Nashville, Tennessee! There are just three big cities in the United States that are 'story cities'— New York, of course, New Orleans, and, best of the lot, San Francisco."
- Frank Norris

"Chicago is the great American city, New York is one of the capitals of the world, and Los Angeles is a constellation of plastic; San Francisco is a lady"
- Norman Mailer

"San Francisco has only one drawback. 'Tis hard to leave.'"
- Rudyard Kipling

"Your city is remarkable not only for its beauty. It is also, of all the cities in the United States, the one whose name, the world over, conjures up the most visions and more than any other, incites one to dream. "
- Georges Pompidou

"I'm proud to have been a Yankee. But I have found more happiness and contentment since I came back home to San Francisco than any man has a right to deserve. This is the friendliest city in the world."
- Joe DiMaggio

"You are fortunate to live here. If I were your President, I would levy a tax on you for living in San Francisco!"
- Mikhail Gorbachev

"I love this city. If I'm elected, I will move the White House to San Francisco. I went to Fisherman's Wharf and they even let me into Allioto`s. It may be Baghdad by the Bay to you, but to me it's Resurrection City."
- Robert Kennedy

"The Bay Area is so beautiful, I hesitate to preach about heaven while I'm here. "
- Billy Graham

"You know what it is? San Francisco is a golden handcuff with the key thrown away."
- John Steinbeck

"You look back and see how hard you worked and how poor you were, and how desperately anxious you were to succeed, and all you can remember is how happy you were."
- Jack London

"San Francisco is a city where people are never more abroad than when they are at home."
- Benjamin F.Taylor

“[San Francisco] . . . the city that never was a town.”
- Will Rogers

“San Francisco is a mad city - inhabited for the most part by perfectly insane people whose women are of remarkable beauty.”
- Rudyard Kipling

“If you're alive, you can't be bored in San Francisco. If you're not alive, San Francisco will bring you to life.”
- William Saroyan

“Let us go and talk with the poets. (on arriving in San Francisco)”
- Joaquin Miller

“I have seen purer liquors, better cigars, finer tobacco, truer guns and pistols, larger dirks and bowie knives, and prettier courtesans here in San Francisco than in any other place I have ever visited; and it is my unbiased opinion that California can and does furnish the best bad things that are available in America.”
- Hinton Helper

And...a video:
YouTube - "If You're Going to San Francisco" by Scott McKenzie

Old 12-30-2008, 12:46 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
"San Francisco, where men act like women and the women act like men"

-quote by me, 12/30/08

Old 12-30-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
"San Francisco, where men act like women and the women act like men"

-quote by me, 12/30/08
"Houston, where the women are men and the sheep are scared."

No offense intended for any other CD posters from Houston. That was just for Sweetclimber .

Last edited by Widowmaker2k; 12-30-2008 at 01:44 AM..

Old 12-30-2008, 01:20 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,211 times
"San Francisco, where Widowmaker2k doesn't even live."

Old 12-30-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
"San Francisco, where Widowmaker2k doesn't even live."
Fair enough. But my town is very small...there are no quotes about it.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:26 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,211 times
Ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.