U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:00 AM

4,909 posts, read 12,544,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I think the NYC region should really only be in NY state. NJ and CT have their own cities which are closer than NYC. I'm going to get so much beef for this, but it's just how I feel.
Be careful what you wish for. Lose those wealthy counties of North jersey and CT and NY metro takes a thrashing economically.

Hey if you dont want Mercer County we'll(Philly) take it back seeing how its 1/4 mile away, a stones throw across the Delaware River from the heart of our metro. We'll take Hunterdon,Morris and any other obscenely wealthy NJ county you dont want as well. Talk about being an ingrate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,270,653 times
The metro area is too big anyway. We already have Westchester and Long Island.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 AM

389 posts, read 989,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
1. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA - 21,961,994

8. Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA - 6,385,461
I can't believe these 2 CSAs cover 4 states. That's ridiculous.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:52 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,222,398 times
I sometimes think Omaha's is over-extended into Iowa yet under-extended in Nebraska.

Omaha's includes 3 counties in Iowa, 2 of which make little sense to me other than commuting.

Now, on the Nebraska side, They should include Fremont, NE (Dodge County) and maybe even Lincoln, NE (Lancaster County).

Old 01-02-2009, 10:55 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,338,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

The sprawling enormity of the Wash DC Bal WV metro. It goes from De. to W.VA. From Pa to halfway to NC.Unbelievable.

Yet I cant get Mercer County NJ which is 1/4 mile from Bucks County and 15 miles to Center City Philadelphia. Philadlephia needs some better politicians and marketers.

Could somebody please tell me how Trenton-Ewing-Princeton is not part of Philadlephia metro. Anyone? Its literally a stones throw away across the river from the heart of metro Philadlephia. Its preposterous that Trenton is part of metro NYC, absolutely ridiculous.

Manhattan to Trenton-68 miles
The Metro doesn't enter Delaware and does not go half way to NC. You' are strange how you take your anger out on the Balwash metro just because its bigger than Philly and tell lies about it.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:10 AM

3,012 posts, read 5,329,014 times
Quote:
The metro area is too big anyway. We already have Westchester and Long Island.
Exactly i dont think ny should be to concerned about losing counties in north nj. We already have westchester and long island. Both of which are extremely wealthy. Wheres the pride left in jersey

Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 AM

2,650 posts, read 5,169,819 times
Quote:
Don't worry, they're your typical person from NJ. There's a reason why so many people from NJ post on the NYC forum and say it should be the 6th borough. It another state and has its own cities, but they fail to realize that and want to be part of NY.
Not this same old tired line from you again. What ever gets you through the day I guess.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:25 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,270,653 times
I've seen tons of people from NJ who say they want to be another borough of NYC. I totally agree with KONY. See, there's been a few other locals who feel the same way. It isn't just me.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:29 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,316,662 times
The NYC metro region is not the same as NYC itself. A metro region is just a way of describing a populated area in a way that ignores city boundaries in order to come up with a population figure that more closely mirrors the "actual" number of inhabitants.

New York's metro area includes the entire populated region surrounding NYC. That includes most of Long Island, much of northern New Jersey, and north into Connecticut and up the Hudson River.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:35 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,922,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
No, Clevelands immediate metro only covers 2,000 sq miles, one of the smallest on the list. The metro doesnt even include Akron which I think is ridiculous since Cuyahoga (Clevelands county) and Summit (Akrons county) are bordering counties. St. Louis metro covers 8,650 sq miles which is incredibly overextended. Thats over 4 times the size as Clevelands metro. Thats about the size as the entire NE Ohio. St. Louis metro has 2.8 million people, and if Cleveland covered that much area it would have roughly 5.2 million people. Look at this map of the metros and locate Cleveland and St. Louis and you will see what I mean: File:Core Based Statistical Areas.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The time your talking about with Youngstown, I was only saying that because some idiot said that Rochester should be included in Buffalos metro which didnt make sense at all. So I added that if Rochester was added to Buffalo, Youngstown should be added to Cleveland since Youngstown is closer and much more connected to Cleveland than Rochester is to Buffalo. I wasnt saying it should actually be added.
Even it covers more land area than Cleveland, I would hardly call it a ridiculous amount of land area. The population remains dense and the landscape mostly urban in the entire area that it covers...there are no points in between it. Unless you've been to St. Louis, you really aren't qualified to say whether or not its boundaries are over extended. How do you know it would have 5.2 million people exactly? Cleveland is different than St. Louis because it is situated on Lake Erie, making it almost impossible for it to lie at the center of its metro area. St. Louis is situated on a river, meaning there is more land immediately around it and its location enables for a population sprawl that is large but concentrated. St. Louis in its metro area is far more dense per square mile than Cleveland. The Cleveland-Akron-Canton area is about the same size as St. Louis if I recall. Any point in the St. Louis metro area is no more than 40 miles away from the city. Cleveland doesn't cover that same amount of land area for several reasons. If it did, areas more than 60 miles away from the city proper would have to be included, including large patches of rural areas. Your comparison of metro areas based on the size of the landscape doesn't really hold much water. It all depends on how urban the areas are and how densely populated they are, not to mention how big the city proper is itself.

Last edited by ajf131; 01-02-2009 at 01:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or