Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:38 PM

44 posts, read 115,909 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post!!! I am 24 years old and was born and raised in Long Island, New York. I have a Bachelors degree and am also a certified Holistic Health and Wellness Counselor. I have recently decided to go back to school and get my Masters Degree in Acupunture and Chinese Medicine. I am having a really hard time decideing between moving to the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area or Houston. I will be taking out loans to go back to school so money is defintily a huge factor. Also I am moving alone with my two dogs one is an American Bulldog(very Big), and the other is a pug so thats also a concern for me in Miami I herd they are very strict with breads resembling Pitbulls. I really appreciate a diverse integrated city considering that I am from New York and that is what I am used to. I also want to feel as safe as possible where ever I live considering I am making the move alone. If anyone has any advice for me at all I would be very gratefull. I have spent alot of time in Miami but have never been to Houston. Thank you soooo much, and I hope somone can help!!!

Please excuse my horrible spelling and grammer!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 05:51 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,171 times
Houston would be the most diverse out of the two with a larger Asian population. Which might appreciate acupuncture more.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:58 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,849,770 times
You may have a difficult time finding a school here to get a master's degree in Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine. The University of Houston and Rice University are the two biggest schools in town and then we have The University of St. Thomas and Houston Baptist University. You might want to research those schools and see if they have a program in your field. That may help you decide.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:04 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,678,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
You may have a difficult time finding a school here to get a master's degree in Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine. The University of Houston and Rice University are the two biggest schools in town and then we have The University of St. Thomas and Houston Baptist University. You might want to research those schools and see if they have a program in your field. That may help you decide.
I found one in under a minute. American College of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine - Shaping the Future of Healthcare I'd assumed she'd already found schools in both cities and was trying to choose between the two locations.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:41 AM

Hey, yea I actualy did find amazing schools in both PLaces the only difference is with the School in Florida, I have to get an additional Bachelors degree in Health Science, as opposed to just a masters degee in Chinese Medicine. Its only 20 more credits and the same amount of time for the program. However, I do already have a Bachelors degree, on the other hand, it would only give me more crediblity!!! My main concern is the stereotypes of Teaxs. I have never been there, I only here read great things about Houston when I am on the forum, but when I ask around I here nothing but negative things. People say I wont "fit in" with the people, and that Texas is mostly Mexican. I love Mexican Poeple and Culture, but I also love other cultures and would appreciate a diverse and integrated mix of people. I am also really concerned with night life, in hOUston and if its going to be segrated or not. And wanted to know if it it possible to walk from point A to Point B in Houston or if I would have to drive everywhere? THank you all again for taking the time to help me out!!! Happy New Year!!!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:29 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,678,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie9 View Post
Hey, yea I actualy did find amazing schools in both PLaces the only difference is with the School in Florida, I have to get an additional Bachelors degree in Health Science, as opposed to just a masters degee in Chinese Medicine. Its only 20 more credits and the same amount of time for the program. However, I do already have a Bachelors degree, on the other hand, it would only give me more crediblity!!! My main concern is the stereotypes of Teaxs. I have never been there, I only here read great things about Houston when I am on the forum, but when I ask around I here nothing but negative things. People say I wont "fit in" with the people, and that Texas is mostly Mexican. I love Mexican Poeple and Culture, but I also love other cultures and would appreciate a diverse and integrated mix of people. I am also really concerned with night life, in hOUston and if its going to be segrated or not. And wanted to know if it it possible to walk from point A to Point B in Houston or if I would have to drive everywhere? THank you all again for taking the time to help me out!!! Happy New Year!!!
Don't worry about those people saying negative things. They hate on Houston because it's in Texas, and because of the Bush family, and Big Oil. There's much more to Houston than that. The only thing is you will have to drive everywhere. The other stuff I wouldn't worry about. You'll be fine. It's diverse and integrated (the most diverse and integrated in Texas), and the nightlife is good, although it's no NYC obviously. Live inside the loop. That's where most of the culture --bars, clubs, museums, restaurants, etc.-- is. One thing I've been reading lately is that Houston is like a mix of L.A., New Orleans, and either Atlanta or Mexico City, alternately, and I would have to agree with that assessment as being pretty spot-on. Poet and professor Mark Doty divides his time between Houston and the Northeast and wrote a good article that does a pretty good job summing Houston up. Southern Comfort | Travel | Smithsonian Magazine

Old 01-01-2009, 11:16 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,234 times
In Houston you will have a much easier time getting a job. Better paying as well.

Houston is MUCH cheaper.

Houston is more friendly.

Houston is more diverse.

Ft Lauderdale is MUCH more scenic.

Ft Lauderdale has better resturaunts/nightlife.

Ft Lauderdale has a beach.

Ft Lauderdale is milder in the winter.

Honestly I like Ft Lauderdale better but Florida got hit much worse with the economy. Given the current situation I would lean toward Houston.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:56 AM

Thank you for your time and advice!!! My main concern is if I will be able to make money doing Holistic Health Couseling in either place? Im worried that tourism might be an issue for me in florida, and that Houston might not be open to a Holistic aproach to nutrition. Also, where ever I do decide to go to school I am commiting to at least 5 years, and because thats going to be the ages 25-30 for me I am afraid that I will not be able to live in Houston for that amount of time. On the flip side, I am also concerned that I will miss the feel of a Big city, living in Florida. If anyone can help me out or give their opinion I would really appreciate it. I feel like im making the biggest deccision of my life, and all of my friends and family either don't ant me to go, or think i should go to Florida because it's more familar to them. Soooooo....im really hoping I get get some good suggestions. Also I know everyone seems to be tired of hearing about Houston, so I apologize for bringing it up.......again!!! But I guess it's wort talking about!!! HAHA

Old 01-05-2009, 10:03 AM

181 posts, read 849,244 times
This whole thread is weakly executed flame. Houston would be segregated but redneck Ft. Lauderdale would not be? ROFL

Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,625 times
Can Houston ever be mentioned on this forum without somebody getting overly defensive about it? Jesus, I didn't even see anybody attacking it yet. Chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.