U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:06 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,158,177 times

Advertisements

I would say Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, and Boston. Many college towns will also fit the description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 AM

62 posts, read 158,162 times
Thanks so much to all of you for your posts!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:32 AM

2,241 posts, read 4,813,751 times
Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, DC, Atlanta, LA, SF, Seattle--the major college towns.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:11 AM

2,410 posts, read 2,513,135 times
This may or may not be what you are looking for:

Top 10 Most Literate U.S. Cities | LiveScience

Old 01-11-2009, 05:23 AM

14 posts, read 26,556 times
Chapel Hill NC - probably already on your list...
Williamsburg here in Brooklyn

Old 01-11-2009, 05:25 AM

14 posts, read 26,556 times
Chapel Hill NC
Williamsburg here in Brooklyn

Old 01-11-2009, 07:08 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,997,412 times
A highly intellectual population is also a socially inept population.
Friendliness quotient drops precipitously and rudeness and self absorption skyrockets.
Cambridge, MA is one of the least friendly places on earth. People bump into you and don't apologize. It's as if they think the world around them is populated with mannequins.

FYI, I live in Boston.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:26 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 228,172 times
Default San Francisco?

Help! I need advice fast... I just heard news that I might be offered a full-time position as a live-in youth counselor in San Francisco... Big decisions make me really nervous, and I have never lived in a large city before... I literally just moved to Philadelphia with my partner (we are living with her father and renting out the upstairs in his house), and am overwhelmed here... I have not been sure whether or not I have wanted to stay here, which is why I have been applied to other jobs around the country.

The main thing that is important to me is that I live in a place where I can live out my values and interests. With out providing a huge list of what's important to me, to sum it all up, it's trees and parks... healthy living. I care about quality of life, and I want to live somewhere with intelligent, educated people who are creative and environment-friendly where people recycle, exercise, and create.

I am interested in building a life for myself, and I want to have fun while I'm young... what matters to me is kayaking and camping. I would also love to hike and maybe raft!

I guess it would be worth mentioning that I expect food to be affordable (I enjoy organic food), there to be an abundance of alanon meetings, parks & trees, and reasonably priced opportunities for recreational interests such as the ones stated above, including concerts and other outdoor activities such as flea markets.

I am frugal... I am also a minimalist. I live a rich inner life, but try to make things as simple as I can on the outside. I have heard SF can be expensive, it would be awesome if someone can give me a breakdown of just general prices of organic staples (ie, milk, eggs, spinach) and average prices for kayaking and public transportation.

To say the least, this is a HUGE decision for me, and I want to learn all I can (with OUT being overwhelmed) about San Francisco.

I am wondering if you can tell me what you know about San Francisco, your personal experience, and whether or not you think I would like it? I would like to know all the pros and cons, and if you have experience with Philadelphia, or even Burlington, Vermont, how San Francisco is similar and different to these two locations.

Please be brief and do not overwhelm me with too much info or a bunch of details. I am a big-picture person, and would just like the general gyst. Your feedback will be very valuable in helping me to decide help me decide whether SF is right for me!

Thanks, much!

Old 04-23-2010, 05:39 PM

13,856 posts, read 13,853,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Good lord, you are so unbelievably and predictably dull. I can't imagine the misery of living in a world so completely driven by the ephemeral 'market' that one would treat as suspect the appreciation of art and literature.

Perhaps if you paid a bit more attention to such 'intellectually lightweight' pursuits as literature, your posts would be a bit more coherent and less of a chore to read. For all of your supposed knowledge (or, rather, blind worship) of the financial world (which I find suspect), you cannot write your way out of a paper bag.
Being intelligent in economics is a real intelligence. It takes skills in math and human relations. And I think there are many intelligent individuals who are too busy to read. Likewise if you're an adult who spends all your time reading children's books and romance novels you're probably not intellectual. So I think the reaction to the person's post is over-the-top and unfair.

Still I do think hsw is perhaps confusing intelligent with intellectual. It's true a person who reads a lot may not be an intellectual, but a person who doesn't read much is unlikely to be an intellectual. Being an intellectual I think does mean being well-read in topics that require thought and intelligence. A businessman, even a brilliant one, is not automatically an intellectual. If he or she is well-read or published in some field than they may be an intellectual.

Anyway Oregon and Ohio seem to be states with strong interests in libraries. Clackamas County, Oregon apparently approved a pro-library tax increase even though they usually dislike tax increases. So possibly Oregon City, Oregon or Portland itself could be high. Eugene looks quite educated. Not sure on a good choice for Ohio, but Cincinnati is on that one list.

Multnomah County Library seeks permanent funding | OregonLive.com

Old 04-23-2010, 06:00 PM

1,890 posts, read 4,064,488 times
Based upon my experiences: Portland, Seattle, Boston, NYC, D.C., SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.