U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:08 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times

Advertisements

Seattle, Washington, Portland, Oregon, San Francisco, California, New York, New York, Boston, Masschusetts, Chicago, Illinois, Washington District of Columbia,

Certain college towns throughout the country such as Berkeley, California, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Olympia, Washington, Burlington, Vermont, Santa Cruz, California. However, some college towns are not that intellectual.

But it all depends on the neighborhood youre in for these cities and town, especially in New York, Chicago, Boston, and Washington District of Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,147,451 times
Central Connecticut State University published this last last year of America's most literate cities:
Central Connecticut State University (CCSU): America's Most Literate Cities 2009

Old 04-29-2010, 06:06 PM

404 posts, read 910,044 times
Woohooo. Go Seattle. Haha.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:22 PM

221 posts, read 256,635 times
Hyde Park, Chicago is highly intellectual. You have access to one of the nation's largest libraries (U of C library), there are several museums in the neighborhood (Oriental Institute, Smart Museum of Art), a world-class university, independent cafes and bookstores, fascinating architecture (Gothic, Prairie School, modern) and history (Obama lived there, Harold Washington lived there, Muhammad Ali supposedly lived there).

Old 08-01-2014, 12:28 PM

556 posts, read 631,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Not sure reading books indicates intellectualism
ding ding ding

Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,289 times
I'd second Minneapolis.

But in terms of left-field answers that haven't been mentioned, the OP may consider visiting Louisville, KY; Providence, RI; Durham, NC; Boulder, CO; or Pittsburgh, PA.

Though, as someone who'd at least like to think of himself as an intellectual, I'd prefer diversity over bookishness. I strongly believe that you can learn something from everyone, no matter what level of formal education they have, what they do for a living, what they read, or if they can read at all. We're all trying to make sense out of this world, and we all do so in different ways.

If you really want to learn more about, really, anything, live in the most diverse place possible, not where everyone is like yourself.

Sorry for getting preachy.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:10 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
Someone pointed out earlier in this thread that being a bookworm does not always add up to being intellectual, and I tend to agree. Of course, intellectualism and being well-read are pretty much inherently synonymous, but intellectualism involves a lot more than just reading tons of books. It also involves the arts, in all it's various forms.

That said, the most intellectually rich city I've ever been to would have to be Ithaca, NY. As for big cities, it depends on the neighborhood. I haven't been to Greenwich Village in NYC since the mid-80's, but back then, for sure that had to be one of the most intellectually stimulating places in America. North Beach in SF is another.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:30 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,916,314 times
Regions:
New England
Pacific Northwest

Old 08-02-2014, 12:51 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Regions:
New England
Pacific Northwest
Really?!?! Go outside of Portland or Seattle proper and you're in seriously rough redneck country. Like, I'm talking folks with lit-up neon crosses in their yards. Once in Spokane, I saw a Courtney Love look-alike pushing a stroller down the sidewalk while wearing as camo-print teddy. And that's not even as scary as small towns in rural Western Washington. Though, I'm sure most are good people, I'm not sure if that's what the OP has in mind.

The Pacific Northwest, outside Portland and Seattle city limits, is seriously a freaky place. Deodorant optional.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:28 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,225,310 times
Ithaca
Boston
San Francisco
Portland, OR
Seattle
Chapel Hill
Ann Arbor

These cities immediately come to mind for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.