Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:55 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times

Advertisements

If you are looking in the Denver area, I suggest expanding your search to the many school districts in the suburbs surrounding Denver. Cherry Creek School District appears to be well-funded, as is probably Douglas County. Littleton is closing some elementary schools because of drop in student numbers. A bunch of school districts had bond issues on the recent ballots, and you may want to look at which ones got approved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
because it's too easy for people to send thier kids anywhere they want.
I should be allowed to send my kid any school he/she wants or that I feel is best for my child. Milwaukee needs teachers like it needs cops and mps from what I hear pays more b/c they have to, to get teachers to teach in mps, not all schools are dangerous but a lot are.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I would imagine whether or not the district passed its referendum this last election will have a strong indirect impact in the coming years.

Places where the referendum was passed:
Minneapolis
Robbinsdale
Inver Grove Heights
Elk River
St. Louis Park

Places where it wasn't passed:
Osseo
Buffalo
South St. Paul
Rockford
St. Francis

source: Minneapolis voters OK school levy; other results mixed (http://www.startribune.com/politics/local/33874254.html?page=1&c=y - broken link)

I also read somewhere that since St. Cloud failed to pass a couple of their referendum's it is going to be in a lot of trouble and may be forced to close one of its high schools.
Maybe yes, maybe no, it depends on what the referendum was covering. Robbinsdale is closing 3 schools. Inver Grove Heights referendum was a replacement of their current one-if costs increase they will still have to make cuts, etc. Minneapolis is still in financial trouble even with their referendum passing. Then, if you look at the cuts the state is proposing, many, many school districts are going to be having some major issues. The ones that survive in good shape are the districts that are doing well now because they either have a large corporate tax base to help or a large population of citizens that support the district and step up to the plate as needed when schools ask for money.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:53 AM

227 posts, read 1,044,181 times
We have several districts in COS. From reading previous posts on City-data you may come across several threads discussing this. Even within a so-so district there could be an awesome school. In general, the 3 districts perceived as being tops are Academy District 20 (North Colorado Springs), Lewis-Palmer District 38 (Monument) and Cheyenne Mountain District 12 (South Colorado Springs). District 20 residents recently allowed a mill levy override to pass in the election which allowed additional funds into the district without a tax increase. Part of these funds were used to give teachers additional pay (in the form of a 1% annual bonus in the May 2009 paycheck). Similar mill levy overrides were on the ballots for other neighboring COS districts but did not pass in the election.

We are in D20 and I have not heard anything about drastic budgetary cuts....although, that type of stuff is typically done in February/March timeframe. In general, teachers who are looking for jobs tend to look at websites during Spring Break. That would be last week of March 2009.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Maybe yes, maybe no, it depends on what the referendum was covering. Robbinsdale is closing 3 schools. Inver Grove Heights referendum was a replacement of their current one-if costs increase they will still have to make cuts, etc. Minneapolis is still in financial trouble even with their referendum passing. Then, if you look at the cuts the state is proposing, many, many school districts are going to be having some major issues. The ones that survive in good shape are the districts that are doing well now because they either have a large corporate tax base to help or a large population of citizens that support the district and step up to the plate as needed when schools ask for money.
The Minneapolis referendum that passed was a pretty substantial increase in per-student funding. Teacher jobs in the Metro area have always been extremely competitive and will likely continue to be a hard field to crack into in the next year or two. Compounding this - with the current economy/ recession, I don't think anyone's retiring no matter what their age.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,124,581 times
I am an educator and Amery is right on the nose--there are several other posts about this. Additionally, FFC8 passed a mill levy also and the first thing on the list is teacher salaries. There are other threads that list each and every school district website so you can search for jobs and check pay scales. No school district will give you credit for more than 8 years experience. Overall, the pikes peak area has great schools. Of course we also have neighborhoods that vary socio-economically which of course impacts the schools. If you need a title I school so you can take advantage of the CO Lift program (pay of student loans), we have several of those.
Please check other posts for those websites and come spring break (last week in March) check jobs and feel free to post again to ask "what type of school is this?" when you see a job posting.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Also, see the answers you got on the COS forum. There is an index on this forum that has links to threads about teaching. I could not agree more with Dreaming, you need to look all over, not just in the city. St. Vrain Valley in Longmont just approved a bond, among others. I don't know if that will translate into more teachers; they were really in need of more money just to sustain their programs. Jefferson County is the largest district in Colorado. Boulder Valley and Adams 12 are also good districts.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:14 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,124,581 times
What other cities are you looking at? If you don't mind me asking...
You shouldn't have any problems getting a teaching job here.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:03 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Open enrollment and charter schools are ruining public education. Inner city schools in the city of Milwaukee are actively recruiting working professionals and recent college graduates. Check out Milwaukee Teaching Fellows for more info.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:20 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Yep, MPS is not considered a good school system. I don't know if that has to do w/the teachers, the kids or the parents. I suspect it has more to do w/the kids & the parents. But, since I don't have kids, what do I know? I'm just going by what I hear & read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.