U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:25 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawny08 View Post
When I say variety it refers to how different different places feel within the state.
This is what the question asked. Were not talking about beauty, were talking a different type of feel or atmosphere in different places in one state. Washington does not beat Texas when it comes to this. In Texas we got San Antonio,Galveston,Austin,East Texas,North Texas,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think Washington beats Texas when it comes to beauty though but very slightly. I am a sucker for those trees in those 10,000 foot Mountains. Sorry.

I think New York is very diverse geographically. What I wish Texas had was those 10,000 foot mountains instead of only 8,000. Because Texas doesn't have an option for people to stay in state to ski. That's the only thing Texas really lacks.

BTW, geologically, Texas doesn't have a desert. It does have a steppe.
Correct me if I wrong, but what is this than??

Chihuahuan Desert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,229,952 times
Default California!!

California then TX or NY,No Florida b/c its just to Flat.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,033,497 times
I don't know how to respond to you.....Texas is not as diverse when in comes to geography and climate. .....Washington has ocean beaches, huge mountain ranges, a rain forest, rolling prarie, arid desert, heavily urbanized areas and rural farmland. Texas is pratically a stain compared to the majesty of Washington State. For some reason it will not let me post more than 3 pictures, so this is just a small sampling.

The Palouse area in eastern Washington:

Desert bluffs in eastern Washington

The Pacific Ocean

Old 01-03-2009, 11:53 PM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times
hands down california.i can surf or play in the snow within 1 1/2 hrs drive.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:56 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,004,409 times
Top 2 states Americans want to visit according to a recent poll - California and Colorado both at 17%.

From Colorado you can go from a ghost town to the city, from the plains to a 14er all in one day.

California from the beach to the sierra nevadas to a martini bar all in the same night.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I don't know how to respond to you.....Texas is not as diverse when in comes to geography and climate. .....Washington has ocean beaches, huge mountain ranges, a rain forest, rolling prarie, arid desert, heavily urbanized areas and rural farmland. Texas is pratically a stain compared to the majesty of Washington State. For some reason it will not let me post more than 3 pictures, so this is just a small sampling.

The Palouse area in eastern Washington:

Desert bluffs in eastern Washington

The Pacific Ocean
Ok I'm coming from Mexico and I want to stay somewhere with a strong mexican culture, is there any place like that in Washington for me???

I'm a African American man and I want to stay in a city where I can be successful, but also work with others of my same race and even live in a neighborhood that caters to my type.

I'm from New Orleans and I want to live in a city similar to it. Can I find that in Washington???

Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 AM

7,129 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
This is what the question asked. Were not talking about beauty, were talking a different type of feel or atmosphere in different places in one state. Washington does not beat Texas when it comes to this. In Texas we got San Antonio,Galveston,Austin,East Texas,North Texas,etc.
As a Texan you might well know the difference between San Antonio and Austin and consider them tremendously significant. However most other states , including Washington have more than one city and there will be differences between all of them.

Washington has Tacoma, Seattle, Olympia, Yakima, Spokane and who can forget Walla Walla? Take a look at a detailed map of the bays, islands, rocky cliffs, forests and peninsulas of the Pugent Sound area and tell me if Texas has anything like that. There are also huge National Forests and several large Indian reservations.

And to me the difference between walking the streets of Seattle and climbing Mt Rainier, beach combing the rocky shores of the Pacific and exploring a rainforest or rafting the mighty Columbia river puts Washington ahead of Texas.

Please understand I believe Texas is very diverse (I think I ranked it third). But as someone not from either state I am just trying to be fair.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:51 AM

1,992 posts, read 6,033,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Ok I'm coming from Mexico and I want to stay somewhere with a strong mexican culture, is there any place like that in Washington for me???

I'm a African American man and I want to stay in a city where I can be successful, but also work with others of my same race and even live in a neighborhood that caters to my type.

I'm from New Orleans and I want to live in a city similar to it. Can I find that in Washington???
Washington has completely different demographics than Texas. While there are plenty of Mexicans in Washington, it doesn't border Mexico like Texas does. So no, there won't be any large Hispanic neighborhoods like you'd find in El Paso and San Antonio. What we do have is large Japanese, Chinese, and Southeastern Asian populations.

There are African American neighborhoods in Seattle and Tacoma.

There is no equivalent to New Orleans in Washington....However, if I was a resident of San Francisco, would I find something similar in Texas? Galveston and New Orleans are both coastal gulf towns, so is it really that remarkable that they are similar in feel? Portland and Vancouver both have the same vibe as Seattle, but then again both are also in the PNW.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Washington has completely different demographics than Texas. While there are plenty of Mexicans in Washington, it doesn't border Mexico like Texas does. So no, there won't be any large Hispanic neighborhoods like you'd find in El Paso and San Antonio. What we do have is large Japanese, Chinese, and Southeastern Asian populations.

There are African American neighborhoods in Seattle and Tacoma.

There is no equivalent to New Orleans in Washington....However, if I was a resident of San Francisco, would I find something similar in Texas?
Sure, many people would say Austin. I've never been to SF, so I wouldn't know but people say it reminds them of SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or