U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:57 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,454,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think Washington beats Texas when it comes to beauty though but very slightly. I am a sucker for those trees in those 10,000 foot Mountains. Sorry.

I think New York is very diverse geographically. What I wish Texas had was those 10,000 foot mountains instead of only 8,000. Because Texas doesn't have an option for people to stay in state to ski. That's the only thing Texas really lacks.

BTW, geologically, Texas doesn't have a desert. It does have a steppe.
I think El Paso lies in the Chihuanuan desert or how ever you spell that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,454,505 times
my vote goes to CA and TX.

New Mexico is different too, you have the plains in the east, the mountains and pines up in the north with spanish old villages and the desert in the south with palm trees

Old 01-04-2009, 08:10 AM

133 posts, read 423,800 times
While geography definitely plays a role when choosing states, I guess what I had in mind was really the different "feel" or lifestyle differences within one state. For example a state like NY has NYC and the upscale suburbs of Westchester County, which is a world apart from some of the small towns in upstate, NY. You really have two regions in one state (PA has this as well).

I guess if it were just geography we're talking about then it gives state with large land mass an easy edge. Does that make any sense?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,762,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Sure, many people would say Austin. I've never been to SF, so I wouldn't know but people say it reminds them of SF.
i'll ask again, where in WA have you been?

Austin is nothing like SF. (I've been to both)

Old 01-04-2009, 08:48 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,451,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I don't know how to respond to you.....Texas is not as diverse when in comes to geography and climate. .....Washington has ocean beaches, huge mountain ranges, a rain forest, rolling prarie, arid desert, heavily urbanized areas and rural farmland. Texas is pratically a stain compared to the majesty of Washington State. For some reason it will not let me post more than 3 pictures, so this is just a small sampling.
I'm not saying either state has more variety than the other, I don't really care, but Texas is extremely diverse from one side to the other when it comes to geography and climate. It is a very, very large state and covers a lot of land. It has all the things you mention WA has, or equivalents. For example, in place of the rain forest, we have the Piney Woods. Where I live in Houston it is extremely humid, while West Texas is arid. It snows in North Texas and the Panhandle, but snow is very, very rare in South/Southeast Texas... and it goes on like that.

TPWD Kids: Texas Regions

Last edited by houstoner; 01-04-2009 at 08:58 AM..

Old 01-04-2009, 02:41 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,034,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I'm not saying either state has more variety than the other, I don't really care, but Texas is extremely diverse from one side to the other when it comes to geography and climate. It is a very, very large state and covers a lot of land. It has all the things you mention WA has, or equivalents. For example, in place of the rain forest, we have the Piney Woods. Where I live in Houston it is extremely humid, while West Texas is arid. It snows in North Texas and the Panhandle, but snow is very, very rare in South/Southeast Texas... and it goes on like that.

TPWD Kids: Texas Regions
So Texas has an equivalent to the Cascade mountain range?

Old 01-04-2009, 02:53 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,753,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawny08 View Post
While geography definitely plays a role when choosing states, I guess what I had in mind was really the different "feel" or lifestyle differences within one state. For example a state like NY has NYC and the upscale suburbs of Westchester County, which is a world apart from some of the small towns in upstate, NY. You really have two regions in one state (PA has this as well).

I guess if it were just geography we're talking about then it gives state with large land mass an easy edge. Does that make any sense?
If you're talking about different feel (alot of FLA haters are gonna kill me for this) then we can DEFINATELY add FLA to that list, as a matter of fact FLA would be in the top 5 IMHO. But if you're just talking about Geographically ONLY then FLA definately not.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:01 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,034,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Sure, many people would say Austin. I've never been to SF, so I wouldn't know but people say it reminds them of SF.
Austin and SF are about as far apart as two cities could get...other than the abundance of hipsters and the strong tech industry, those two cities are nothing alike.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:04 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,753,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I don't know how to respond to you.....Texas is not as diverse when in comes to geography and climate. .....Washington has ocean beaches, huge mountain ranges, a rain forest, rolling prarie, arid desert, heavily urbanized areas and rural farmland. Texas is pratically a stain compared to the majesty of Washington State. For some reason it will not let me post more than 3 pictures, so this is just a small sampling.

The Palouse area in eastern Washington:

Desert bluffs in eastern Washington

The Pacific Ocean
Yes washington state is an AWESOME state. But in diversity Texas ownz. And also the poster just asked about geographic diversity not really beauty. The only state that can compare to TX is CA. TX also has rural farmland, big cities, rolling praries, rolling hills, cotton fields, arid desert, beaches, mountain ranges, aquifers, and caves, it may not have rain forest but, it makes up for that with woodlands swamps and bayous in the eastern part of the state.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:09 PM

64 posts, read 66,620 times
NJ should be mentioned. Since it's so small it can't possibly have more geographical diversity than TX, CA, or NY but it still has a great deal when considering it's size. The urbanized northeastern portion of the state that offers direct access to NYC. The rural northwestern part of the state that is very much like PA and has some mountains and a lot of rolling green land. Central Jersey has some of the richest suburbs in the country, the state capital, Princeton University, and the northern portion of the shore. Southern Jersey has the shore, Philadelphia suburbs, the pine barrens, and some urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or