Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Sure, behind a computer

That's a joke right? California has great changes in terrain but does not have the extremes of dry desert on one side and southeastern forest on the other side. It doesn't go from Tex Mex to Cajun and soul food. It doesn't go from Mexican and white to black and black.

If anything, California and Texas are close with Texas leading.

And as far as that cactus picture goes, it came straight from a Texas photo site, so that's no fault of my own:
Texas - Photo Album (http://et3016.k12.sd.us/State/photoalbum.htm - broken link)
Are you being serious? I cant tell.

California has forest (including the tallest trees in the world), dont kid yourself. They also have one of the lowest places in the USA, as well as one of the highest. Not only is California far more diverse than TX will probably ever be, but so is its food, thanks to hundreds of different cultures. California also has way more coastline, which is vastly different in San Diego as it is up near Oregon. They have mountains covered in snow, visible at times from Death Valley, the hottest place in the world. TX has decent variety, but dont kid yourself nor fool anyone else into believing that somehow, some crazy way, that TX has more variety than CA. Thats absurd!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Besides deserts and canyons, what does Texas have that NY doesn't? Yes, we have swampy areas in NY too.

Also, does Texas have 4 legit seasons? What about the water situation too?
Yes, in the northern part of the state we have four clearly distinct seasons. There is no water situation! People don't believe that Dallas actually receives the same amount of rain as Chicago.

In addition to deserts and canyons, New York does not have open prairie land, 8,000 ft. mountains, mesas, or barrier islands. Although NYC and downstate have a variety of cultures, the rest of the state is relatively homogeneous. In Texas, there are modern "New South" cities, the Mexican/Tejano cuture near the border, the Deep South culture in East Texas, Cajun culture in SE Texas, German towns in Central Texas, and even Midwestern influence in the Panhandle and North Texas. I think New York is a great state, but it doesn't have the variety that California and Texas have.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Sure, behind a computer

That's a joke right? California has great changes in terrain but does not have the extremes of dry desert on one side and southeastern forest on the other side. It doesn't go from Tex Mex to Cajun and soul food. It doesn't go from Mexican and white to black and black.

If anything, California and Texas are close with Texas leading.

And as far as that cactus picture goes, it came straight from a Texas photo site, so that's no fault of my own:
Texas - Photo Album (http://et3016.k12.sd.us/State/photoalbum.htm - broken link)
Sorry Nairobi - California has the most extreme desert of all - Death Valley! And they don't have southeastern forests but they do have different types of forests including trees that most other states do not have - Redwood, Sequoia, Joshua and Cypress something(?) the oldest trees on earth. A whole bunch of different places follow like Napa Valley, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, the Channel Islands, Big Sur etc. And not to mention a very large and diverse population. No other state comes close IMHO.

But take comfort in something else - no one else has Texans like Texas!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Besides deserts and canyons, what does Texas have that NY doesn't? Yes, we have swampy areas in NY too.

Also, does Texas have 4 legit seasons? What about the water situation too?
some parts do have four seasons. Leaves change colors, it snows, rains,etc.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:40 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Are you being serious? I cant tell.

California has forest (including the tallest trees in the world), dont kid yourself. They also have one of the lowest places in the USA, as well as one of the highest.
Texas has flat marsh land and mountains. What's your point?

Quote:
Not only is California far more diverse than TX will probably ever be, but so is its food, thanks to hundreds of different cultures.
Invasive cultures. As in, not native to the region. Texas' native culture is was diverse before different nationalities came here. Now if we're talking about diversity in international culture then OF COURSE California wins that one, but I wasn't aware that's what we were discussing.

Quote:
California also has way more coastline, which is vastly different in San Diego as it is up near Oregon. They have mountains covered in snow, visible at times from Death Valley, the hottest place in the world.
Right. California is the only place in the world where you can see a snowcapped mountain from the desert

Quote:
TX has decent variety, but dont kid yourself nor fool anyone else into believing that somehow, some crazy way, that TX has more variety than CA. Thats absurd!
Who's kidding?

And let's get something straight: New York state has "decent variety". Texas has the variety of an entire nation. So much so, we still can't decide what region of the country it belongs to...

Old 01-07-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
And let's get something straight: New York state has decent variety. Texas' variety is unmatched.
This is coming from a Texan living in Texas: California is by far more varied than Texas.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
This is coming from a Texan living in Texas: California is by far more varied than Texas.
And this is coming from a Texan living in Texas: "NOT A CHANCE"

Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Texas has flat marsh land and mountains. What's your point?

Invasive cultures. As in, not native to the region. Texas' native culture is was diverse before different nationalities came here. Now if we're talking about diversity in international culture then OF COURSE California wins that one, but I wasn't aware that's what we were discussing.

Right. California is the only place in the world where you can see a snowcapped mountain from the desert

Who's kidding?

And let's get something straight: New York state has "decent variety". Texas has the variety of an entire nation. So much so, we still can't decide what region of the country it belongs to...
Im done arguing with you. All youre gonna do is just keep inflating your TX ego and I dont feel like puking tonight.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im done arguing with you. All youre gonna do is just keep inflating your TX ego and I dont feel like puking tonight.
Fine with me. I would much rather engage in agreeable conversation with every member on here, but you took it there so I went with you.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
And this is coming from a Texan living in Texas: "NOT A CHANCE"
I'm just curious, have you been California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.