U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 03:41 PM

814 posts, read 937,215 times

Advertisements

I'm white and my girlfriend is Mexican. The only time I can ever remember getting what I perceived as rather weird attention was at a gas station in rural Arkansas. It didn't feel dangerous or anything, a few local yahoos just seemed to be taking a special interest in our existence...I imagine teenage boys in that part of the country have not seen too many latina women.

Other than that nobody really bats an eye (ftr she lives in DC and myself in Pittsburgh, so much of our time is spent between those two cities). She has gotten good-natured ribbing from family and friends back home in El Paso about dating a gringo, but even there I have never felt that anyone was being judgmental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 04:38 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,699,047 times
Mom's white, dad's black. Lived in DC had no problem, now live in Phoenix and have had no problem. I'm mixed, bf is white live in La and no problems. I'm just guessing any big city will do except for some midwestern cities like cities in Ohio, ect. i've heard people getting multipul stares there.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:48 PM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
I'm no longer married to my kids' dad, but he's African American and I'm Caucasian. My adult kids are all biracial. I raised them as a single mom in northeast Texas and dated basically whoever I wanted when I was single. I remarried ten years ago - to a Caucasian guy.

My biracial kids have lived all over the place - from Texas to Idaho to Guam to Virginia to Colorado, England, Korea, you name it. They are grown and are married to - the whitest man in the world (from Iowa), a man who is half Italian, 1/4 Puerto Rican and 1/4 Panamanian, a Korean woman and a woman from Taiwan (actually my youngest son isn't married yet but he's in a serious relationship with a woman from Taiwan).

No significant issues to report from any locale. Everybody's happy and well adjusted and the married kids are raising their own multiracial kids who also seem very well adjusted.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:31 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,871,041 times
I live in Toledo, OH and am not in an inter-racial relationship but there are a lot here and they have been here for a long time.

My grandfather and grandmother divorced in the 1970s and my grandfather married a white woman (I am black) and I have a bi-racial uncle as a result. I have a cousin married to a Vietnamese man. I have a cousin who is black married to a white woman, they have been married over 15 years now. There is just a lot of mixing here.

FWIW, my husband is from Chicago and we lived in metro Atlanta until recently for over 15 years. He says Toledo is the "land of the bi-racial" as he has never seen so many "mixed" kids and adults before until he came here.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:26 PM

235 posts, read 183,524 times
Any place is that is a good place to live....is also a good place for multi-racial couples. If others don't like it, or occasionally stare (I find that hard to fathom these days)....so what. You'd actually only want to live where others may dictate according to stares?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:48 AM

2,761 posts, read 1,101,143 times
I'm white and my wife is Chinese from Taiwan. We live in Taiwan. Lived previously in Pittsburgh with no problems whatsoever.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:15 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Any big city in the US.
Agreed. I'm Caucasian and my wife is a native Korean. We've never encountered an issue where we live (Colorado Springs) or anywhere else in the country.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:16 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
Arab/Asian mix here.

Currently in Houston. Previously was in Dallas and LA.

Never had any problems being interracial in any of those cities.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:21 PM

14 posts, read 17,502 times
I am a Venezuelan guy dating a white girl (European) living in Atlanta, not a great city to be in if you look ethnic/foreign and are dating a white girl.

Must ask, are there any cities in the USA that would be good for couples where the woman is white and the man is more ethnic/brown looking?

Old 09-18-2015, 06:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,193,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomandecker View Post
Must ask, are there any cities in the USA that would be good for couples where the woman is white and the man is more ethnic/brown looking?
I'm a white woman, and my fiancé is Indian. We've had absolutely zero issues here in Minneapolis, and it's never been a concern because interracial couples aren't uncommon or an issue here. I'm pretty sure it's not an issue anywhere.

Really, I think it's more of a generational thing and not so much regional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or