U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 09:59 AM

898 posts, read 1,338,930 times

Advertisements

I'm Salvadoran and my wife is black. We both grew up in L.A. and the one time we lived elsewhere, in the California central coast, my wife was treated badly by the locals (the Mexican locals) so we moved back to L.A. Has anyone else had bad experiences in different parts of the country? Which parts? Where did you end up feeling welcomed?
I doubt we will ever move out of L.A. again but, just in case we ever do, I'd like to know what areas to look for and which ones to stay away from.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 11:37 AM

893 posts, read 2,551,682 times
My dads girlfriend is Chinese and he's Trinidadian. They live in Queens, NYC.
My mom is Puerto Rican and my dad is Trinidadian and they lived in Nassau County, Long Island untill they got a divorce and my mom married a Jamaican and they still live in Nassau County. Never got looked at differently, being mixed is normal here.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 PM

59,345 posts, read 84,151,749 times
Here's a good thread to check out:http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...l-couples.html

Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 PM

398 posts, read 1,180,072 times
My husband is half Puerto Rican, half caucasian and I am caucasian. We live in a small mountain town in Colorado and I haven't noticed any unusual treament or stares. I'm also not very sensitive to it, so if people are staring I probably would wonder why!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 PM

4 posts, read 8,549 times
SF Bay Area

sooo diverse , youll see alot of white/asian couples ...hispanic/black couples

it doesnt matter

Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,196,005 times
I know its a big move, but im not familiar with the west coast at all.
I only go by my experiences when helping out on a move so you can take in whatever i say with salt and pepper.

Around me, there's a place a couple towns north of newark called Montclair where it seems like it's meant for interracial couples. I mean im white and my wife is black and we used to always go there and hang out on dates and with friends because of its great diversity there. There is so much to do and its close to New york city and it has a friendly atmosphere, it seems like i was stupid not to move there when we got married. But it was to expensive to own a home there, and renting there was a little bit hard to do since all the good deals were only one bedroom.

But good luck and hope you find what you're looking for.

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 01-02-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-02-2009, 05:07 PM

8,030 posts, read 7,794,809 times
Any big city in the US.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:22 PM

59,345 posts, read 84,151,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I know its a big move, but im not familiar with the west coast at all.
I only go by my experiences when helping out on a move so you can take in whatever i say with salt and pepper.

Around me, there's a place a couple towns north of newark called Montclair where it seems like it's meant for interracial couples. I mean im white and my wife is black and we used to always go there and hang out on dates and with friends because of its great diversity there. There is so much to do and its close to New york city and it has a friendly atmosphere, it seems like i was stupid not to move there when we got married. But it was to expensive to own a home there, and renting there was a little bit hard to do since all the good deals were only one bedroom.

But good luck and hope you find what you're looking for.
I believe Montclair was voted on lists that it was the best city for interracial couples. Others that usually get noticed are Minneapolis, Columbus OH, Denver, the Washington DC area, Madison WI, Portland OR, Seattle, the Bay Area and most major college towns too. In NY State, I would say Ithaca is a good city for interracial couples. Syracuse on our East side, there seems to be quite a few and that could be due to it's proximity to Syracuse University and Le Moyne College. I'm sure NYC and other communities in the state have areas where it is more common as well.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:35 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,618,398 times
Quote:
My husband is half Puerto Rican, half caucasian and I am caucasian. We live in a small mountain town in Colorado and I haven't noticed any unusual treament or stares. I'm also not very sensitive to it, so if people are staring I probably would wonder why!
Maybe you don't get unusual stares or treatment because your husband has a White appearence, though maybe I am wrong and your husband is the typical Brown looking Hispanic. I personally noticed that many people who are half Hispanic and half White tend to look more White, my girlfriend being one of them. She is half Colombian, a quarter German, and a quarter Swede and nobody confuses us for an interracial couple when we are out together.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
I'm so into White Men and my teenage daughter and my 8 yr old. Right now I'm with a White/Indian guy and I'm trying to find another place besides Louisville,Ky that's used to seeing interracial couples. I myself also in need of a place that may accept Section 8 as well. I'm originally from New Orleans, La and myself is mixed and my daughters can be models. I myself is into Bodybuilding and definitely can kick ass, if opportunity knocks. I just want to find a place by the water with lots of activities myself and my daughters can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or