U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 01:25 PM

7 posts, read 12,413 times

Advertisements

I have a serious question that I hope some of you will chime in on. My girlfriend and I recently (almost a year now) moved from the Northeast to North Carolina for many reasons including cheaper cost of living, warmer weather and more. In the first couple months living here I had 3 major medical emergencies that set me way back with work and I went from debt free to having a large pile of medical bills from an ambulance ride, hospitals and doctors. I am very allergic to fire ant stings and feel pretty lucky to be alive after the last incident where I barely made it to my epipen before passing out. I have had two previous episodes once while on vacation in florida and another on vacation in south carolina. I am at the point where I will hardly leave the house and the psychological trauma is just killing me. My girlfriend and I LOVE to spend time outdoors hiking, boating, kayaking, biking, etc. so avoiding these evil little creatures is virtually impossible, we always try. Well after spending 30 years in the northeast without a similar incident we are seriously ready to pick up our stuff and move on to someplace where this would no longer be an issue.

So my question is, are there any fire-ant free places to live besides moving back to a snowy cold climate? Has anyone else gone through anything similar?

We haven't completely ruled out going back to the north east but we were hoping we had some other options. I am open to going nearly anywhere that has outdoor activities and water and a relatively reasonable cost of living. We have no kids and don't plan on it so thats not an issue. I would love to hear from people that live in "ant-free" zones. tia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,129,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditbasser View Post
I have a serious question that I hope some of you will chime in on. My girlfriend and I recently (almost a year now) moved from the Northeast to North Carolina for many reasons including cheaper cost of living, warmer weather and more. In the first couple months living here I had 3 major medical emergencies that set me way back with work and I went from debt free to having a large pile of medical bills from an ambulance ride, hospitals and doctors. I am very allergic to fire ant stings and feel pretty lucky to be alive after the last incident where I barely made it to my epipen before passing out. I have had two previous episodes once while on vacation in florida and another on vacation in south carolina. I am at the point where I will hardly leave the house and the psychological trauma is just killing me. My girlfriend and I LOVE to spend time outdoors hiking, boating, kayaking, biking, etc. so avoiding these evil little creatures is virtually impossible, we always try. Well after spending 30 years in the northeast without a similar incident we are seriously ready to pick up our stuff and move on to someplace where this would no longer be an issue.

So my question is, are there any fire-ant free places to live besides moving back to a snowy cold climate? Has anyone else gone through anything similar?

We haven't completely ruled out going back to the north east but we were hoping we had some other options. I am open to going nearly anywhere that has outdoor activities and water and a relatively reasonable cost of living. We have no kids and don't plan on it so thats not an issue. I would love to hear from people that live in "ant-free" zones. tia.

This map might help you a bit:

Imported Fire Ant and Household Insects : Potential United States Range Expansion of the Invasive Fire Ant

As you can see, they are already entrenched (so to speak!) in lower parts of the South from North Carolina into all but the westernmost part of Texas. And from there on, it seems likely they will spread westward thru the lower areas of the Southwestern states and into California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or