U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On a Scale From 1-10, How Rooted In Your Area Are You?
1 (Not Rooted) 5 7.81%
2 5 7.81%
3 (Lightly Rooted) 5 7.81%
4 6 9.38%
5 (Moderately Rooted) 10 15.63%
6 2 3.13%
7 (Highly Rooted) 9 14.06%
8 4 6.25%
9 (Extremely Rooted) 12 18.75%
10 6 9.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:16 AM

23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times

Advertisements

1 not rooted, meaning i'll pack up my car with everything i can put into it and be gone without many goodbyes to say. Just a question of when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 11:25 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,584,513 times
1 not rooted. This is my 6th state. I moved from San Diego to Philly to DC metro within the past 2 years. I did these last 3 moves with my toddler. My family lives cross country, but not near me. No one would notice if I left or moved into their town tomarrow. I will be here for at least 1.5 years so I'm trying to make friends and get more attached here. I could really use a home base. Out of the 6, San Diego is where I have most friends, most community and thus feels most like home to me- can't afford it or get a job there tho'.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 AM

5,019 posts, read 12,738,933 times
I voted "lightly rooted" #3 since we own a home in our community and my partner has a good stable job here. We also have a nice group of friends.

However, we are both very open to living in other areas when the time is right!

Old 01-03-2009, 11:58 AM

5,849 posts, read 15,935,833 times
I'm deeply rooted here in north Alabama. My parents are buried here...my brother lives 5 houses away...my husband's parents live down the street...my daughter is halfway between us and her grandparents, and she has a new baby.

However, my parents were both from the same small town in western North Carolina, and most of my relatives still live in that area.

Sometimes I wish I could just pick up and move someplace new and different. Run off to the beach, or move to a big city. We did live in Atlanta for a few years with no relatives.

But it is really nice having in-laws, nieces and nephews close by. My kids went to my elementary school and high school. 1 of their teachers was a high school classmate of mine, and many of their friends' parents were in high school at the same time as I and my husband. My lawyer, plumber, and banker were just ahead or behind us in high school...my accountant is the son of my parents Sunday school teacher...and so on.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM

311 posts, read 453,921 times
I'm extremely rooted. everyone I know lives here. and I'm here for generations etc.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:02 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
I clicked #2. I left my home state 53 years ago, and never returned there to live, nor had any desire to, but family still lives there. However, it is possible I will never go back there again.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:25 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,225,310 times
I voted "10".

My father's family settled in Henderson County, KY in the very early 1800s on a land grant from George Washington. My great-grandfather (x5, I think) fought alongside the General and was even fairly close to him, according to records.

My mother's family also settled in Henderson Co. in the early-mid 1800s.

I still have family spread throughout the Henderson, Webster, Hopkins, and Daviess County areas (they're clustered in a "T" shape) and was even born in Hopkins Co. I am an 8th-generation western Kentuckian, but now live in central Kentucky and have absolutely no desire to return to the west.

In fact, I have no desire to stay in Ky. in general, unless it's in extreme northern Kentucky. My first pick is Houston, TX, and I know I will land there eventually. I just have to find a decent $30K/yr. job first, and with a lot of recent college grads in this tough economy, I'm up against some tough competition.

I feel quasi-shameful that I voted "10" yet have the desire to get out of Ky. I have tried and prayed so hard to find a compelling reason to stay here, or at least be happy here in the meanwhile. But, I have never fit in with the people and culture of rural Kentucky (and rural is 95% of Kentucky, you know.) I've looked very much into L.A., Seattle, Fort Worth, Atlanta, and Chicago, but for some strange reason I can't put my fingers on I always find something great and desirable about Houston (i.e. people I meet, things I read on C-D, etc.) that keep my interest perked in that city. I can at least try it out.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 PM

4,893 posts, read 7,653,336 times
I chose 10 for Massillon/Canton because that's "home." (I think I'd be a 3 for Youngstown--where I'm currently living) My paternal grandparents moved to the Canton/Massillon area in the early 1950's. My mother's maternal grandparents also moved to the area in 1950. My mom's paternal grandparents have been in the area for generations.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:36 PM

880 posts, read 2,529,379 times
I put a 2. Just not into the socially conservative aspects of Georgia. Now when I lived in Fayette Conty near Atlanta, I would give that a negative 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or