U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 10:33 PM

20,847 posts, read 35,942,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
You left out Missouri and Illinois
I just caught that
It's fixed now
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 AM
HKB

220 posts, read 708,991 times
Best to Worst:

1) South Dakota. Love the transition between the Plains and the start of the West. You can almost see it when you cross the Missouri river. Black Hills are beautiful, and I like the business-friendly attitude this state has.

2) Minnesota. My home state. I like how it has a relatively thriving major metropolitan area (by Midwest standards anyway) that is very clean and liveable. Parts of the state are extremely scenic. Missed being #1 only because there tend to be a few too many passive-aggressive types here, and also they have an embarrassing history of electing some real unqualified/incompetent politicians (Franken, Dayton, Coleman, Ventura, etc...)

3) Iowa. Very underrated state. Beautiful rolling hills. Good universities. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of economic opportunity there, so they have somewhat of a "Brain Drain" problem.

4) North Dakota. The weather and geographical isolation keep it from ranking higher.

5) Missouri. Very scenic state. I haven't been there since I was 18, but I have fond memories of vacationing there.

6) Indiana. Kind of bland, but nice enough (extreme NW Indiana excluded).

7) Nebraska. Meh.

8) Kansas. (see above).

9) Wisconsin. Very scenic. Would be higher, but too many weird people call WI home. The Packer obsession, condoned drinking culture, and high property taxes are all major turnoffs for me.

10) Illinois. I've never cared for this state. Too dominated by Chicagoland. A history of corrupt politics (which continues to this day). Some real crappy towns (East St. Louis, Cairo, etc...).

11) Ohio. Too many Rustbelt areas. Bland scenery.

12) Michigan. High unemployment. Decaying cities.

Last edited by HKB; 01-10-2009 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-10-2009, 11:40 AM

3,323 posts, read 9,569,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKB View Post
Best to Worst:

1) South Dakota. Love the transition between the Plains and the start of the West. You can almost see it when you cross the Missouri river. Black Hills are beautiful, and I like the business-friendly attitude this state has.

2) Minnesota. My home state. I like how it has a relatively thriving major metropolitan area (by Midwest standards anyway) that is very clean and liveable. Parts of the state are extremely scenic. Missed being #1 only because there tend to be a few too many passive-aggressive types here, and also they have an embarrassing history of electing some real unqualified/incompetent politicians (Franken, Dayton, Coleman, Ventura, etc...)

3) Iowa. Very underrated state. Beautiful rolling hills. Good universities. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of economic opportunity there, so they have somewhat of a "Brain Drain" problem.

4) North Dakota. The weather and geographical isolation keep it from ranking higher.

5) Missouri. Very scenic state. I haven't been there since I was 18, but I have fond memories of vacationing there.

6) Indiana. Kind of bland, but nice enough (extreme NW Indiana excluded).

7) Nebraska. Meh.

8) Kansas. (see above).

9) Wisconsin. Very scenic. Would be higher, but too many weird people call WI home. The Packer obsession, condoned drinking culture, and high property taxes are all major turnoffs for me.

10) Illinois. I've never cared for this state. Too dominated by Chicagoland. A history of corrupt politics (which continues to this day). Some real crappy towns (East St. Louis, Cairo, etc...).

11) Ohio. Too many Rustbelt areas. Bland scenery.

12) Michigan. High unemployment. Decaying cities.
I guessing you've never been to Ohio or Michigan then........

Old 01-10-2009, 11:57 AM
HKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I guessing you've never been to Ohio or Michigan then........
Wrong. I've been to every state on that list except Kansas (I was only on the Missouri side of Kansas City ). I will say that I've spent more time in Ohio than I have in Michigan though.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:16 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,569,145 times
Well, i don't think the scenery in Eastern Ohio is bland at all...........west of Cleveland, yes it's bland and mostly flat, but i think many areas of Northeast and Southeast Ohio are beautiful.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:20 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,005,214 times
Here's my list, I'm sure some will dislike it but it's my 2 cents as for which provides the best "livelihood".

#1 Illinois - NOT my personal #1 but still have to rank it #1 because Chicago is still the capital of the midwest.
#2 Minnesota - you got the Twin Cities, the Great Lakes but also land o 10,000 lakes lots of scenary, boundary waters, good people.
#3 Ohio - quite a few major cities, good and affordable educational system, just a drive to the East Coast.
#4 Missouri - so-called the "gate-way" to the West, it is centrally located with 2 major cities and the Ozarks further South.
#5 Wisconsin - affordable condos right on the lakes where the Chicago natives like to adopt as 2nd home, summerfest, BEER!
#6 Iowa - I see a lot going for this little state in the future, particularly the growth of businesses in Des Moines and its affordable living.
#7 North Dakota/South Dakota - It's hard to rank the two prob a tie, not exactly hip but a good place to raise a family. Might prefer Fargo a lil more than Sioux Falls.
#8. Nebraska - I would say this is a wildcard pick, it could fall anywhere from #5 to #11 for a number of reasons.
#9. Kansas - Really one of the slowest on development but they are putting a lot of work into the E. section of the state Lawrence to KC and who knows perhaps in the end this may be a top midwestern state with a good balance of economics growth and historic and cultural preservation.
#10. Indiana - I have lived there before on and off where I see a flight of Indiana natives leaving their states in a hurry, but in recent years the government has been trying very hard to improve roads and businesses and I see them doing a good job. Ppl are nice as hell here and quite a few top notch colleges.
#11. Michigan - well there is so much going for it but the economy has been hit so hard, likewise with a shift in population particularly the middle and middle-upper class moving out of state instead of staying to improve the state it makes me wonder if it'll pick back up.

Last edited by RangerDuke08; 01-10-2009 at 12:31 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKB View Post
Wrong. I've been to every state on that list except Kansas (I was only on the Missouri side of Kansas City ). I will say that I've spent more time in Ohio than I have in Michigan though.
You point out IL's "crappy towns", but leave out the hundreds of world class ones. And, sad as it is to say, if youre going to point out "crappy" places, look no further than the depressed, dirt poor, crime-ridden Indian Reservations all over the Dakotas.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:36 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,206,342 times
In order

1) Ohio: My favorite Midwestern state and has a little bit of everything. Diverse terrain, people, cities.
2) Minnesota
3) Michigan (except Detroit)
4) Indiana (except Lake County)
5) Illinois
6) Wisconsin
7) Iowa
8) Missouri
9) Nebraska
10)Kansas
11)South Dakota
12)North Dakota

Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,206,342 times
Hey, that was kinda fun. Now, a bonus ranking for the South:

1) North Carolina
2) Tennessee
3) South Carolina
4) Kentucky
5) Texas
6) Mississippi
7) Alabama
8) Georgia
9) Virginia
10) Florida
11) Arkansas
12) West Virginia
13) Louisiana

Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 AM
HKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You point out IL's "crappy towns", but leave out the hundreds of world class ones.
Yeah, sorry. Next time I'll be sure to list the hundreds of nice towns in every state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.