U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 AM

5 posts, read 20,106 times

Advertisements

1. South Dakota - Absolute beauty of many parts of the state. Culture is friendly, honest, hard working.
2. Minnesota - Really down-to-earth and friendly culture. Clean. But cold. Good sports teams.
3. Illinois - Chicago's highways revamped and much better than in the past. Still too much congestion for me. Many positive attributes including a bit milder weather than WI/SD/MN. Southern style friendly in southern parts of state, and midwestern culture in northern state.
4. Wisconsin - Beauty, lakes, forests, especially the farther north you travel. Midwestern culture of friendly, honest, and kind people. Madison is liberal, artsy, cultured, college town feel. Milwaukee area doesn't know there are people in the rest of the state. Winter weather is the downfall.
5. Iowa - Like the others above. Seems hotter and more humid than WI summers.
6. Indiana - A bit more southern culture. Lower paying jobs than WI/MN/IL.
7. North Dakota - Great people, too cold.
8. Michigan - Jobs? Pay?
9. Ohio - Columbus is nice, diverse, lots to do. Some of the culture is bible-belt south of Columbus. Everything seems govt' run, and govt' run poorly at that. Too many free-rides for big business where I lived. Tax structure problems, state system money problems. Really poor animal shelter regulations and puppy mill problems.
10. Missouri - not enough info to rate
11. Nebraska - not enough info to rate
12. Kansas - not enough info to rate
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,112,011 times
I have enjoyed reading this thread and the posts.

Got a question though for some of you Midwesterners....?

I have noticed that some in the "eastern Midwest" do not think of the "Plains states" as in the same Midwest as themselves. I hasten to add I am NOT trying to stir up any controversy, but just truly curious! For instance, I have talked to a few in Indiana and Ohio who really don't think of Kansas or Nebraska as truly Midwestern. At least by their own definition.

Personally, I always thought that Kansas and Nebraska were the two quintensential Midwestern states. But then again, I am from Texas so perhaps that influences my opinion. That is to say, the proximity to them...?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 20,106 times
Hi TexasReb,
I'm in WI. Great comment! When I think midwest I'd never include Ohio or Kansas, but would include Nebraska. I guess I'm thinking of the 'midwestern culture' when making my own assumptions as to what is midwestern. Ohio has a more southern feel, not midwest to me. I've lived in both. Indiana definitely feels midwest north of Indianapolis. My co-workers in Columbus, Ohio called a pen, an aynk pin - a vacuum is called a sweeper, Grandparents are called Ma-Maw and Pa-paw. But here in WI we sound practically Canadian, its all 'a boat' the vowels der, ey.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:01 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3lon View Post
Hi TexasReb,
I'm in WI. Great comment! When I think midwest I'd never include Ohio or Kansas, but would include Nebraska. I guess I'm thinking of the 'midwestern culture' when making my own assumptions as to what is midwestern. Ohio has a more southern feel, not midwest to me. I've lived in both. Indiana definitely feels midwest north of Indianapolis. My co-workers in Columbus, Ohio called a pen, an aynk pin - a vacuum is called a sweeper, Grandparents are called Ma-Maw and Pa-paw. But here in WI we sound practically Canadian, its all 'a boat' the vowels der, ey.
Hi in turn M3lon...and thanks for your nice and informative reply.

I had to chuckle just a bit when I read that you exclude Ohio and Kansas. NOT in a critical way I assure you...but just that my own experiences in the Midwest were from those two states! LOL My ex-wife (my kids' mother) was from Kansas and a former lady friend was from Ohio!

I always loved the trips up there to visit their respective homes and families, and really came to appreciate "Midwestern culture and history." If I ever had to leave Texas? And any other place in the South was not an option? Then, outside of my native state/region, some rural area/small town in the southern Midwest would be where I would go.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:28 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
Quote:
Hi TexasReb,
Ohio a more southern feel? Are you kidding me? North of Indy is where it has to feel Midwest? Maybe you are referring to the Upper Midwest...but south of Indianapolis is still definitely the Midwest. Ohio is very Midwestern with some Northeastern influence and a small bit of Southern influence in the extreme Southern portions of the state (below Cincinnati). Kansas is every bit as Midwestern as Nebraska, don't understand why you think it shouldn't be included.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Hey, that was kinda fun. Now, a bonus ranking for the South:

1) North Carolina
2) Tennessee
3) South Carolina
4) Kentucky
5) Texas
6) Mississippi
7) Alabama
8) Georgia
9) Virginia
10) Florida
11) Arkansas
12) West Virginia
13) Louisiana
Oklahoma probably belongs on the South list too. THis should be for a different thread called "Rank The Southern States" though.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
1. South Dakota - Absolute beauty of many parts of the state. Culture is friendly, honest, hard working.
2. Minnesota - Really down-to-earth and friendly culture. Clean. But cold. Good sports teams.
3. Illinois - Chicago's highways revamped and much better than in the past. Still too much congestion for me. Many positive attributes including a bit milder weather than WI/SD/MN. Southern style friendly in southern parts of state, and midwestern culture in northern state.
4. Wisconsin - Beauty, lakes, forests, especially the farther north you travel. Midwestern culture of friendly, honest, and kind people. Madison is liberal, artsy, cultured, college town feel. Milwaukee area doesn't know there are people in the rest of the state. Winter weather is the downfall.
5. Iowa - Like the others above. Seems hotter and more humid than WI summers.
6. Indiana - A bit more southern culture. Lower paying jobs than WI/MN/IL.
7. North Dakota - Great people, too cold.
8. Michigan - Jobs? Pay?
9. Ohio - Columbus is nice, diverse, lots to do. Some of the culture is bible-belt south of Columbus. Everything seems govt' run, and govt' run poorly at that. Too many free-rides for big business where I lived. Tax structure problems, state system money problems. Really poor animal shelter regulations and puppy mill problems.
10. Missouri - not enough info to rate
11. Nebraska - not enough info to rate
12. Kansas - not enough info to rate
Most of Illinois is Midwestern culture. Even Southern Illinois while it has Southern influences still has the Midwestern culture. Most of Indiana's culture is Midwestern except in the extreme Southern parts of the state around the Ohio River. Same with Illinois.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:23 AM

4,265 posts, read 5,477,295 times
1) IL (Chicago is my favorite Midwestern city, plus I like the diversity of the state and the mix of cosmopolitan, mid-sized cities and rural)
2) WI (I love Madison and think the state is very pretty)
3) MN (Twin cities, pretty in the North)
4) MI (Beautiful landscape, although some of the cities are very depressed)
5) IA
6) MO (St. Louis)
7) IN
8) ND/SD/NE/KS (all not that different to me, but if I had to choose a winner here, I'd choose NE)
9) OH (I've been to and through OH a lot, and I've just never had good experiences in this state)

Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,833,631 times
Anybody that thinks SD or NE has no scenery needs to do more research as the sand hills, buttes, badlands, loess hills,thousands of lanks, many rivers (including top rafting rivers), mount rushmore and the black hills are very neat areas to visit.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:32 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,448,737 times
A little off topic, but I recently discovered a song that Midwesterners might appreciate. It's for all those long-disrespected "flyover states"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkEvL...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.