Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
1> Minnesota
2> Wisconsin
3> Michigan
4> Ohio...only the hilly southeast and along the lake
Too many tornadoes in the rest. They scare the ______[fill in the blank]
out of me. I wouldn't want to live anywhere that they occur on a frequent
basis.
I know this post is over a year old, but in 2010, Minnesota had more tornados than any other state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
Oops, didn't realize this was an old thread. I wouldn't have added to it!

But, since I did, here are my rankings (only of states that I've been to):

1. Michigan - I'm biased, but our Great Lakes shoreline is amazing.
2. Iowa - I like the farmland and rolling hills
3. Kansas - the high plains are cool. Can't beat that enormous sky
4. Illinois - I am a big fan of Chicago, but I also like the central Illinois farmland
5. Nebraska - interesting scenery. I like the transition from cornfields to sand hills and pastureland
6. Missouri - I've only seen this state in the dark on a long winter road trip. But the roads were smooth.
7. Minnesota - I've only changed planes at the airport in the Twin Cities. The lakes looked nice from above.
8. Indiana - This state does not excite me for some reason. It makes me think of Gary and Fort Wayne.
9. Ohio - Ohio has some nice hill country in the SE and some cool farms, but come on... lets be serious. It's Ohio.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:30 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
1. Michigan (has it all -- lakes, mini-mountains, rivers, greenery, and monster sand dunes! Really a beautiful state that people associate with rust instead of lush)
2. Wisconsin (shudders! Although my enemy, it's a beautiful state from toe to tip, except near Madison and Chicago. Rolling hills and lush greenery throughout combined with lakes is picturesque!)
3. Minnesota (the bluffs along the Mississippi, the lakes, the major hills in the NE, and the Superior shoreline make it one of the best, but the fact that the Western/Southwestern part of the state are SO dull and flat puts it behind two of my rivals!)
4. Missouri (has the Ozarks and two MAJOR rivers, but a lot of it is dull and flat also)
5. Ohio (like the lush environment, the trees, the hills in the East and the rivers, but nothing amazing)
6. Illinois (Chicagoland only, the rest is awful except along the rivers)
7. Iowa (very very very boring on the West half, the East along the Mississippi is beautiful)
8. South Dakota (boring AND beautiful)
9. Indiana (driven through the northern half numerous times....yikes! Hope the Southern half is better!)
10. Nebraska (no offense intended)

Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 AM

125 posts, read 333,535 times
Ohio
Michigan
Minnesota
Illinois (Chicago IS the best city in the Midwest though)
Wisconsin
Indiana
Nebraska
Missouri
Iowa
South Dakota
North Dakota

Old 01-05-2011, 01:07 PM

865 posts, read 1,471,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3lon View Post
Hi TexasReb,
I'm in WI. Great comment! When I think midwest I'd never include Ohio or Kansas, but would include Nebraska. I guess I'm thinking of the 'midwestern culture' when making my own assumptions as to what is midwestern. Ohio has a more southern feel, not midwest to me. I've lived in both. Indiana definitely feels midwest north of Indianapolis. My co-workers in Columbus, Ohio called a pen, an aynk pin - a vacuum is called a sweeper, Grandparents are called Ma-Maw and Pa-paw. But here in WI we sound practically Canadian, its all 'a boat' the vowels der, ey.
I live in Columbus now, and have lived in Ohio my whole life. I have NEVER heard anyone call grandparents "Ma-Maw" and "Pa-Paw." Ohio is not southern.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:14 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
1. Michigan: the natural beauty of the coasts and smaller lakes along with the forests, hills, etc make it much more outstanding than any other state in that area. On the downside, practically all of the big cities in Michigan suck big time and the sprawl can be overwhelming but that is a national disgrace also.
2. Wisconsin: almost as much waterfront/shoreline. A good deal of nice smaller lakes and nice farmland. Milwaukee is tolerable and Madison is pretty nice.
3. Minnesota: again, lots of water and woods. Minneapolis-St. Paul are nice cities and most of the smaller cities are cool.
4. Illinois: One word: Chicago. Other than that-the state sucks.
5. Ohio: nice hills in the eastern/southern portions of the state. Lake Erie waterfront can sometimes be charming.
6. Missouri: nice hills and I actually get a kick out of St. Louis and Kansas City.
7. Iowa: It's clean and nice farmland. The cities are okay.
8. Indiana: I just don't get that place.

Those other states are in the Great Plains; not the midwest.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:52 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
Illinois - mainly because of chicago
Michigan - great scenery and architectural cities
Ohio - same as MI
Minnesota - passion for hockey
Missouri - don't know much about Mo
Wisconsin - proximity to chicago, the beer

Could care less about the rest. (no offense :P)

Old 01-05-2011, 03:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
I'll take WI, then MN, and then Illinois (largely because of Chicago)...

I'm less interested in Indiana, Ohio and Missouri, although St. Louis is nice to visit..

Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 PM

161 posts, read 640,176 times
1. Indiana
2. South Dakota
3. Kansas
4. Michigan
5. Iowa
6. Missouri
7. Nebraska
8. North Dakota
9. Ohio
10. Illinois
11. Minnesota
12. Wisconsin

Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Oops, didn't realize this was an old thread. I wouldn't have added to it!

But, since I did, here are my rankings (only of states that I've been to):

1. Michigan - I'm biased, but our Great Lakes shoreline is amazing.
2. Iowa - I like the farmland and rolling hills
3. Kansas - the high plains are cool. Can't beat that enormous sky
4. Illinois - I am a big fan of Chicago, but I also like the central Illinois farmland
5. Nebraska - interesting scenery. I like the transition from cornfields to sand hills and pastureland
6. Missouri - I've only seen this state in the dark on a long winter road trip. But the roads were smooth.
7. Minnesota - I've only changed planes at the airport in the Twin Cities. The lakes looked nice from above.
8. Indiana - This state does not excite me for some reason. It makes me think of Gary and Fort Wayne.
9. Ohio - Ohio has some nice hill country in the SE and some cool farms, but come on... lets be serious. It's Ohio.
I'd take Ohio and Indiana's economy any day over Michigan's depression-like mess, and our cities that are being invested in over De riot and Flint. But Michigan's countryside is extremely underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.