Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:30 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,655,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Oh hi, you must be new here. Welcome to City-Data.com
Ha ha, thats hilarious, nice one El Rhino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 PM

6,295 posts, read 11,005,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
When did I claim it was World Class? I just point out the things happening here so people don't think Omaha is some stagnant town in the Plain, besides, whats happening here is something to promote, should Chicago not promote the Chicago Spire? Or should New York not promote the new World Trade Center? By the way, The Kansas City Star, The New York Times, the Chicago Tribune and several other significant News Papers and Magazines have had articles about whats happening in Omaha.
I never claimed you said Omaha is a World Class City. I said people in KC are claiming KC to be a World Class City. They are balmy. But you are indeed claiming that Omaha is something that it has not yet achieved. It may or may not over the next couple of decades.

Don't expect the rest of the country to get as excited about Omaha as some of the people that live there. I don't talk about my own hometown too much because it would probably ruffle a few feathers. It has its good points and bad points and I try not to artificially inflate its self worth just to soothe my own ego. We used to call it "Simsboring" because there was not a lot do there outside of outdoor activities. Fortunately I happen to like outdoor activities... I think I made my point.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:41 PM

721 posts, read 2,600,608 times
Why didn't you mention Omaha Steaks??

Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,669,676 times
Omaha is pretty nice, but every time I go downtown there is hardly anyone outside. Now Boulder has a WAY BETTER downtown going for it and it's far enough away from Denver to have a less than 1 million metro.

Have you been on Pearl Street? AMAZING!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,140,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
Charlotte NC comes to mind. Lots of shops & places to eat. Nice skyline, thriving banking community, and it's growing & growing.
The Charlotte area has around two million people so it doesn't qualify for this thread.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:31 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,726,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Well,I am having fun getting sun burnt in Albuquerque and it feels good, and by the way Albuquerque is growing faster than Omaha but no one cares and I dont promote that.

We are not overshadowed by Phoenix,I dont know a single person that relies on Phoenix for anything and our city dosent either,and maybe to the rest of the country Phoenix might take all the attention but I'm sure people here dont mind. ABQ is very content the way it is and dosent try to be like every other city.ABQ has a lot of character and history and people want to keep it that way.The New Mexican lifestyle is alot different than other states.

ABQ dosent have much of a skyline and most like it like that,I dont but most do,most people dont move to ABQ for the skyline anyways as thats obvious of the growth in the metro area.Some people think if they add skyscrapers they ruin their mountain or mesa views.The people here are not concerned with what another city does and we are not Omaha trying to be Any City,USA.

I know the college world series is played in Omaha but I couldnt even tell you in what month it takes place cause I never hear about it and I dont care too,Ive never watched college baseball before.

I did hear about the mall shooting, so there is 1 time I did hear of it outside of the forum.

I've never heard of the zoo, or the rest that you mentioned.

and if you took my post as a insult you need to not be so sensitive,how can you survive in this messed up corrupt world being so sensitive,I dont know, and I never isulted Omaha,I just said to me its nothing special and thats true.
I agree with everything you said. Both about ABQ and about those who keep trumpeting Omaha. And Louisville.

I think ABQ is a fantastic place, and its downtown is pretty cool. Well, downtown proper is kind of quiet, but some of the smaller neighborhoods that surround downtown are pretty happening, particularly by the university.

I also think that ABQ's beauty is in its spectacular scenery, especially Sandia. For that reason I'm kind of glad that ABQ doesn't have many skyscrapers that would detract from that beautiful view.

And I agree, no one should be as sensitive about their hometowns as some people are in this forum. I swear, just the slightest criticism sets some people off. It's an absurd, childish reaction and is probably a sign of either some psychological problems, or the posters are actually teenagers who haven't learned yet to control their emotions.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:38 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
And I agree, no one should be as sensitive about their hometowns as some people are in this forum. I swear, just the slightest criticism sets some people off. It's an absurd, childish reaction and is probably a sign of either some psychological problems, or the posters are actually teenagers who haven't learned yet to control their emotions.
Well when you live in a city that everyone loves to make the butt of cruel jokes in order to make their own cities feel superior, perhaps you'll be able to empathize with us. I'm by and large Scranton's largest Internet promoter, and I'm damn proud of it. If I can convince just one person that the Electric City isn't the runner-up for "Armpit of America," as it was actually dubbed in the 1990s, then I've done my duty. Those who have spent any amount of time on this forum have probably seen one of my agitating pro-Scranton rants, and I'll continue these rants until the cruel jokes stop. It's not easy being twenty-one years old and having everyone think you're a "loser" for wanting to raise your family in Scranton. I actually had a professor in the Fall semester of 2007 who made a nasty remark about the city of Wilkes-Barre, which is home to my campus, and then followed it with "nobody actually likes this old coal town, do they?" I was the only one to raise my hand, and people snickered at me. I think it's hillarious actually how people in NJ and NY will make fun of us here in PA, yet they are both moving here in record numbers every year. Paradoxical, is it not? Until folks stop treating Scranton as a bunion on the ass of American progress instead of being a former economic powerhouse with some breathtaking architecture and surrounding natural scenery in the beautiful Pocono Mountains, I'm going to continue to irritate everyone with incessant photo tours, essays, rants, etc. Don't like it? Then stop making fun of Scranton, and tell the mainstream media that as well.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 06-09-2008 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 06-10-2008, 07:08 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,173,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well when you live in a city that everyone loves to make the butt of cruel jokes in order to make their own cities feel superior, perhaps you'll be able to empathize with us. I'm by and large Scranton's largest Internet promoter, and I'm damn proud of it. If I can convince just one person that the Electric City isn't the runner-up for "Armpit of America," as it was actually dubbed in the 1990s, then I've done my duty. Those who have spent any amount of time on this forum have probably seen one of my agitating pro-Scranton rants, and I'll continue these rants until the cruel jokes stop. It's not easy being twenty-one years old and having everyone think you're a "loser" for wanting to raise your family in Scranton. I actually had a professor in the Fall semester of 2007 who made a nasty remark about the city of Wilkes-Barre, which is home to my campus, and then followed it with "nobody actually likes this old coal town, do they?" I was the only one to raise my hand, and people snickered at me. I think it's hillarious actually how people in NJ and NY will make fun of us here in PA, yet they are both moving here in record numbers every year. Paradoxical, is it not? Until folks stop treating Scranton as a bunion on the ass of American progress instead of being a former economic powerhouse with some breathtaking architecture and surrounding natural scenery in the beautiful Pocono Mountains, I'm going to continue to irritate everyone with incessant photo tours, essays, rants, etc. Don't like it? Then stop making fun of Scranton, and tell the mainstream media that as well.

In about, oh, probably 3-5 years you will realize that the opinions of people on this board regarding your town are meaningless, and that it is really unneccessary to overly trumpet a town like Scranton.

Every city is going to have some population of people that rip it to shreds. Scranton is no different than Indianapolis, Nashville, Louisville, Jacksonville, Evansville IN, Cincinnati, or any other town. The difference is there are not a lot of people from those towns going over the top on their gloating of their town to build it up in response. Someone wants to rip Indy, that is fine. I generally do not care. Now, if you are a condescending prick about it, that is something else entirely. I do not care if someone from Omaha or Chicago hates Indianapolis. It is no different than my hatred of St. Louis. Everyone has preferences, and you should not get so worked up about other peoples opinions.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:08 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,891,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Oh hi, you must be new here. Welcome to City-Data.com
Ditto. Almost everyone on here likes to boast their homecity as though it's the best possible place for anyone and everyone.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:12 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,891,067 times
Quote:
If I can convince just one person that the Electric City isn't the runner-up for "Armpit of America," as it was actually dubbed in the 1990s, then I've done my duty.
On the bright side, Scranton still looks a lot better than cities like Gary, Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.