U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,526,771 times

Advertisements

I did overlook Georgia and South Carolina. They don't have as warm winters as Rockport though and wonder if there is year round swimming. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,388,203 times
Long Island-being a native the most impressive thing is the size of the beaches but since we only have 2 or 3 months of beach weather everyone flocks there during the summer months. If you know where to go though you can find great spots. The North Shore beaches are great too and much more quiet.

Galveston-Yuck...the water is brown....very unappealing.

Florida-Best beaches anywhere. The tropical feel is just awesome!

Never been to the extreme South Texas beaches but I am going too for sure. The weather is every bit as warm if not warmer then Florida in the winter too

Old 01-13-2009, 09:24 AM

23,067 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I did overlook Georgia and South Carolina. They don't have as warm winters as Rockport though and wonder if there is year round swimming. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
I presume you mean Rockport, TX, not MA.
Yes, you would have to go to south FL to have year round swimming on the east coast. The gulf is definitely warmer in the winter.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:52 PM

1,125 posts, read 4,102,893 times
i grew up in watch hill rhode island. - classic long island sound new england beach community

but other great areas include:

Mystic, CT
Narragansett RI
Newport RI

watch hill in westerly ri
http://www.rhode-island-luxury-homes.com/WHLight1.jpg (broken link)

narragansett

Old 01-13-2009, 03:20 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,321,803 times
Annapolis; nicest in the Mid-Atlantic coast

Old 01-21-2009, 06:22 PM

113 posts, read 495,900 times

Kailua, Oahu! Awesome little town on the windward side of Oahu, separated by 20 minutes and the 3000 ft Koolau Mountains from Honolulu...

Lanikai Beach & Kailua Beach are considered two of the top beaches on Earth...

Old 01-21-2009, 07:44 PM

718 posts, read 2,117,042 times
MA - Nantucket, Marthas Vineyard, Cape Cod
RI - Newport, Naragansett, Watch Hill
CT - Greenwich, Darien, Westport, Fairfield, Mystic
NY - North Fork, Hamptons, Montauk
NJ - Deal, Spring Lake, Sea Girt, Bay Head, Mantoloking, Barnegat Light, Cape May
NC - Cape Hatteras towns
FL - St. Augustine, Jupiter Island, Palm Beach, Florida Keys
CA - Carmel, La Jolla, Laguna Beach
HI - Lahaina

Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,982,771 times
The problem with Oregon beaches is that the water is too friggin' COLD to enjoy. My feet have literally cramped up from walking along the shore. So while I love the ocean and the beach, I usually enjoy them in California. I'm particularly fond of Pismo Beach.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:56 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,448,737 times
I like Grand Haven, Michigan. Haven't been everywhere, but I like it better than places I've been in along the Atlantic and Gulf. I'm a little biased, though.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I love the ocean! As real estate prices decline there should be some opportunities for people to move to perhaps their dream location.

Maine has some nice coast but water is always cold for swimming and winters of course are freezing. Prices are moderate. Its not crowded-little traffic.

Long Island- In winter this was almost empty as I went to the eastern tip. It didn't look as attractive as other coastal areas, but had some nice beach. Summer is packed like sardines. Taxes are high.

Cape Cod -pretty not too far from cities but expensive, high taxes and cold winters. Still a very pleasant place.

Maryland, VA or NC - I have little personal experience with this area.

Florida has the meanest drivers - it also is the most hurricane prone. Its gotten so crowded in south fla but the real estate crash may mildly lighten the population. Lots of things to do.

Alabama - Mississippi in general almost as hurricane prone as Florida, a bit too redneck and humid for my taste but cheaper than Florida.

Texas - Galveston fair amount of crime- lots of traffic to and fro Houston and no escape routes - also almost as hurricane prone as Florida. Galveston has the nicest old buildings in Texas but some slums too.

South Texas - so far this is my favorite. I am now in Rockport 24 miles north of Corpus Christi. Very friendly fast growing and lots of birds and wildlife. People come here from all over so not really too redneck or gossipy. Some bargains in land. Less huricane prone than anything east but more risk than... Cal. No state income tax. Rockport has barrier islands which offer some hurricane protection and lots of fish, but in parts of it there are less waves- some like the sound.

Deep South Texas - scenic and friendly somewhat like South Texas but much more of a Mexican flavor - hot summers warm winters. Isolated from the rest of the state/world. Little traffic or pollution.

California- went to college there. Some really pretty oceanviews both south and north,however even with the real estate decline too expensive and too crowded. Way up in northern cal its cheaper -quieter - but not so sunny. I don't worry too much about earthquakes right on the water - perhaps I should.

Oregon and Washington- pretty coast and much of it is uncrowded, prices are high but not sky high. Winters dreary not sure its ever great for swimming. Progressive atmosphere. Much of it, but not all, is far from cities. This is still one of my top choices.

Living on the coast is so nice -relaxing and if you're in a place where the wind blows in from the sea like it does 95% of the time in Rockport, there is no air pollution ( Rockport doesn't have any anyway). The disadvantage is anything you leave out that contains metal rusts - stainless steel, galvanized metal -- it all rusts!

Anyone else have opinions? I'm certain some of you have more knowledge and experience with many of these areas. Those who have not been creamed by this recession may be able to invest or live on the coast and thus I hope this post is timely.
I am glad you found Rockport, Texas. From reading your post I get the impression you will like the all year round warm weather and it sounds pretty quiet and peaceful.

Suprisingly much of the Texas coast is almost never mentioned (outside of Galveston anyway) and does not seem to be a major vacation area. I actually hear more about the small Mississippi and Alabama coasts which are beautiful.

HOWEVER I am a little miffed about your description of Long Island LOL.
I would suggest you visit us but not in the winter lol.

You would find the island is 115 miles long and is suprisingly diverse. The western beaches on the Atlantic include Coney Island, the Rockaways, Long Beach etc are mostly built up with boardwalks and are well known . As you move east however the ocean beaches are mostly parkland; Point Lookout, Jones Beach state park, the Babylon and Oyster Bay beaches, Gilgo Beach, Captree, Robert Moses, Fire Island National Seashore, Smith Point. And then you come to the Hamptons! All of this is just the South Shore!

The North Shore which is broken up by many bays and harbors, has its own beaches such as Sunken Meadow, Crab Meadow and Wildwood. Unlike the wide sandy beaches of the South shore, the North shore tends to be hilly and rocky. Totally different atmosphere just 20 miles away! Small villages and harbor ports, many dating from colonial times dot the area.

We also like you in Rockport have quiet bay beaches. Many of them are essentially small town beaches just for the locals. Go to one of these town beaches on the Great South Bay or maybe take the ferry to Fire Island and you will not believe you are only 30 or 50 miles away from Midtown Manhattan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.