U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:42 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,188,103 times

Advertisements

Carmel, California
Westbrook, Connecticut
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 01:54 PM

505 posts, read 1,225,071 times
I really like Cape Cod as a whole, although some of the towns have spoiled some of their beauty and charm by becoming WAY too focused on tourists. The coast of Maine, as others have said, is also very pretty, as are the coastal area of Rhode Island around Narragansett Bay. I have been to Mystic, CT, as well and enjoyed it.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:54 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,524,964 times
What are those Connecticut towns like? Are taxes high like most Eastern states?

Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 18,016 times
if you want warm and nice beach states that aren't too isolated, stick to:
florida
california
north carolina
alabama pan handle near florida

anything west of alabama/lousiana in the gulf region tends to be over industrialized and/or very isolated and disconnected.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 PM

Patriot maybe you should have read the entire thread and you can learn something about the country you claim to be so patriotic about.

Where I live - Rockport Texas there is NO industry none - and right north of town there is the Aransas National Wildlife Reserve. One can go pretty far north before any industry can be found.

We are not isolated either - my house which is 5 miles south of Rockport is 25 miles north of Corpus Christi - no traffic either. Thanks anyway was trying to find out more about CT

Old 01-23-2009, 11:40 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,395,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I like Grand Haven, Michigan. Haven't been everywhere, but I like it better than places I've been in along the Atlantic and Gulf. I'm a little biased, though.

Isn't the middle picture South Haven?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:26 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,483,871 times
I've always been partial to Avalon, CA, and Friday Harbor, WA. Both beautiful island towns on the Pacific Ocean. Avalon has a laid back Mediterranean feel, and Friday Harbor has a unique, sleepy/foggy feel.

Avalon:

Friday Harbor:

Morro Bay is also pretty amazing.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:20 AM

3,956 posts, read 2,815,309 times
Matagorda, Texas.

www.matagordatexas.com

Old 01-24-2009, 10:30 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,045,996 times
If you don't want to worry about hurricanes, places like Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, and Seattle are nice. The only problem is the water is cold, especially the further north you go. SoCal's not as bad, but even they feel like Rhode Island at the warmest.

The South has warmer water, but obviously hurricanes. Maryland might be nice because the hurricanes aren't as bad and the winters aren't as cold as New England. Savannah, Georgia is good too because hurricanes bypass Savannah and hit the Carolinas instead. Places in Florida, South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas are good; don't get me wrong. But be expecting hurricanes. It's a trade-off because you get the benefit of warmer water too.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:06 PM

The incidence of hurricane differs widely even among southern places. Galveston has less hurricanes than Florida but deep south tex much fewer than Galv. In my area we have what are called Barrier Islands. These islands make for shallow bays so there is no great water surge. My house was constructed well and is right on the water and its been through 3 hurricanes and the only damage was dropping a vase the day before while bringing it inside and some plants next to the water got too much salt and died.

I like hurricanes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.