U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2009, 10:48 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,908,610 times

Advertisements

I love the ocean! As real estate prices decline there should be some opportunities for people to move to perhaps their dream location.

Maine has some nice coast but water is always cold for swimming and winters of course are freezing. Prices are moderate. Its not crowded-little traffic.

Long Island- In winter this was almost empty as I went to the eastern tip. It didn't look as attractive as other coastal areas, but had some nice beach. Summer is packed like sardines. Taxes are high.

Cape Cod -pretty not too far from cities but expensive, high taxes and cold winters. Still a very pleasant place.

Maryland, VA or NC - I have little personal experience with this area.

Florida has the meanest drivers - it also is the most hurricane prone. Its gotten so crowded in south fla but the real estate crash may mildly lighten the population. Lots of things to do.

Alabama - Mississippi in general almost as hurricane prone as Florida, a bit too redneck and humid for my taste but cheaper than Florida.

Texas - Galveston fair amount of crime- lots of traffic to and fro Houston and no escape routes - also almost as hurricane prone as Florida. Galveston has the nicest old buildings in Texas but some slums too.

South Texas - so far this is my favorite. I am now in Rockport 24 miles north of Corpus Christi. Very friendly fast growing and lots of birds and wildlife. People come here from all over so not really too redneck or gossipy. Some bargains in land. Less huricane prone than anything east but more risk than... Cal. No state income tax. Rockport has barrier islands which offer some hurricane protection and lots of fish, but in parts of it there are less waves- some like the sound.

Deep South Texas - scenic and friendly somewhat like South Texas but much more of a Mexican flavor - hot summers warm winters. Isolated from the rest of the state/world. Little traffic or pollution.

California- went to college there. Some really pretty oceanviews both south and north,however even with the real estate decline too expensive and too crowded. Way up in northern cal its cheaper -quieter - but not so sunny. I don't worry too much about earthquakes right on the water - perhaps I should.

Oregon and Washington- pretty coast and much of it is uncrowded, prices are high but not sky high. Winters dreary not sure its ever great for swimming. Progressive atmosphere. Much of it, but not all, is far from cities. This is still one of my top choices.

Living on the coast is so nice -relaxing and if you're in a place where the wind blows in from the sea like it does 95% of the time in Rockport, there is no air pollution ( Rockport doesn't have any anyway). The disadvantage is anything you leave out that contains metal rusts - stainless steel, galvanized metal -- it all rusts!

Anyone else have opinions? I'm certain some of you have more knowledge and experience with many of these areas. Those who have not been creamed by this recession may be able to invest or live on the coast and thus I hope this post is timely.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,908,610 times
I can't believe no one is interested in this - oh well

Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,284,543 times
Good topic. Granted I've never been to many of the places you listed, but I'll throw my hat into the ring for the Jersey Shore, esp., Long Beach Island. Classic seaside towns, all tacky enough to be charming, with the great surf a mile out in the Atlantic. Jeezus that area was cool. Miss the shore, especially on Jan. 6.

The real estate prices, at least in 2007, were exorbitant. I suppose the credit and housing crash have made their mark, but still outside of reality for most.

Lake Michigan beaches, esp. on the Michigan side, are quite unique. The dunes are often bigger than anything on the ocean and the water temperature in August can make them feel like a salt-free spa. Nice resort towns too.

BTW: not a huge fan of Florida beaches, though I know many are nice. The ones that allow cars to drive on the beach are akin to a fly on an ice cream cone.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 AM

10,408 posts, read 13,957,719 times
I love living by the ocean and its a big reason I live in San Diego. I grew up in Northern CA and spent a lot of time along the coast as a kid up there. It's very tranquil and beautiful b/c the the vast majority of the coast is not developed like it is in Southern CA. All the big redwood forests, huge cliffs, huge waves, driftwood, tidepools, etc..all make it a beautiful place to visit. The only thing that sucks is the weather is cool and foggy year round, it rarely goes above 70 along the Northern CA coast and it can rain A LOT farther north. But the weather kind of adds to the feel and look of the area. Mendocino and Fort Bragg are probably my two favorite Northern CA coastal towns.

The Central CA coast is also really nice, its warmer and sunnier than the Northern CA coast but still cooler than Southern Ca. Santa Cruz, Monterey/Carmel area, Big Sure, Morro Bay, and Pismo Beach are some of my favorite coastal towns along the Central Coast. The Big Sur area and coast around there is pretty amazing too. I remember many times being high up above the ocean on a bluff/hillside and there would be a low layer of fog below you so dense you couldn't see the ocean, kind of felt like you were high up above the clouds. There is some really awesome scenery in that area. The water is too cold to swim in and it doesn't get very warm but the scenery more than makes up for that.

The Southern CA is much warmer and sunnier than the rest of CA's coast and its the only part of the state where the water gets warm enough to swim in during summer. The coast is very nice although it is VERY developed compared to the rest of the state. It's basically the stereotypical CA beach image many people think of; sun, palm trees, surfers, volleyball, etc... Southern CA has a much stronger surf and beach culture than the rest of the state. Santa Monica, La Jolla, Del Mar, Malibu, and Laguna Beach are probably my favorite beach towns. La Jolla and Laguna Beach I think have the best beaches in SoCal and are two of the most scenic towns along the coast. I live 8 blocks from the ocean here and can see it down my street.

Hawaii is definitely my favorite place for beaches b/c it combines the warm water and white sand of Florida with the rugged, beautiful landscape of CA's coast. The water is very clear and warm here and the surf is great. There are many great places to snorkel too and many other water activities. Hawaii has the best weather IMO, I love the warm, humid tropical year round weather. It's not too warm and humid like FL either and the trade winds always keep it comfortable enough. The scenery, food, people, and culture are all one of a kind too.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 PM

463 posts, read 973,136 times
I'm most familiar with the beaches of New Jersey and will always have fond memories of them!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:52 PM

5,408 posts, read 9,456,504 times
You have some good suggestions.

Portland and Southern Maine are BEAUTIFUL. the water barely ever gets warm enough to swim in, but it's beautiful and quiet there. Around Portland and just further North are some of the most remotely settled coastal areas in the U.S. (Outside of Alaska of course). If you like Quiet, they're perfect.

My personal favorite is Newport Rhode Island (and the area from Newport East to the Cape Cod Canal... only 30 or so miles). It's a beautiful area with great beaches, historic architecture. It's been a vacation resort since before the guilded era so the Vanderbilt's, Carnagie's, etc all have/had massive estates along the shoreline (just google newport mansions). The city itself has a historic downtown (used to be an old working waterfront) that's alive with nightlife, restaurants, galleries, shops, etc. To me, anyway, there's no place more fun in the summer time than Newport RI.

There are others, but that's it for now.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 PM

12,878 posts, read 19,580,584 times
Apparently SC and GA have no coastline on your atlas. Too bad, because there are some great spots on the coasts of these two states:

In SC, I love the beach communities of:

Litchfield Beach
Pawleys Island
Isle of Palms
Sullivan's Island
Kiawah Island
Seabrook Island
Hilton Head Island

In GA:

Tybee Island
St Simons Island

Old 01-06-2009, 12:59 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,237,664 times
I'd go with:
Atlantic: Savannah Georgia or Wilmington, NC.
Gulf: Used to be Galveston. Now, maybe the very funky Cedar Key, Florida.
Pacific: Eureka, California
Inland: Duluth, Minnesota. Most lakeshore cities in Michigan and Wisconsin are nice.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:00 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,785,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You have some good suggestions.

Portland and Southern Maine are BEAUTIFUL. the water barely ever gets warm enough to swim in, but it's beautiful and quiet there. Around Portland and just further North are some of the most remotely settled coastal areas in the U.S. (Outside of Alaska of course). If you like Quiet, they're perfect.

My personal favorite is Newport Rhode Island (and the area from Newport East to the Cape Cod Canal... only 30 or so miles). It's a beautiful area with great beaches, historic architecture. It's been a vacation resort since before the guilded era so the Vanderbilt's, Carnagie's, etc all have/had massive estates along the shoreline (just google newport mansions). The city itself has a historic downtown (used to be an old working waterfront) that's alive with nightlife, restaurants, galleries, shops, etc. To me, anyway, there's no place more fun in the summer time than Newport RI.

There are others, but that's it for now.
I really like Bar Habor. That's a nice village-y type of small town on the coast. I went in the late fall, so it was pretty deserted, but still pretty nice considering it was empty and cold. I can imagine it's a lot nicer in the summer. You can also stop by L.L Bean It's also not far from the Village Candle factory (my favorite candle brand) Lots of places for me to go to in Maine when I'm vacationing there.

I'm from Long Island, so I'm bound to give positive feedback about there. You have long boardwalk areas right on the ocean (Jones Beach, plus other places), small village towns right on the water, and then you have the north shore beaches which have cliffs where you can see out to CT. North shore beaches are a lot quieter and private, and the water is warmer up there.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:40 PM

124 posts, read 281,712 times
North Carolina has some of the prettiest beaches on the east coast, but they are prone to hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.