Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:07 AM

694 posts, read 2,652,056 times

Advertisements

Mooove along please, in an orderly fashion, plenty of room
under our mega tent. Don't worry folk we'll get to all your money.
Remember the line for miraculous cures forms on the right.
( sorry cash only ) Converts please meet at the pool in the back.
This week only 50 % off all items in our gift shop and don't forget
the donation box for our new mega world church.( located in the gift shop)

well if it works for Disney and McDonalds.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 10:21 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Wow, that is the tackiest place I've ever seen in my life.
Isn't that also true of L.A. and the rest of Southern California? L.A. attracts so many tourists because it's a big theme park thanks to the entertainment industry's influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Sounds about right to me.

Why can't people go to church without all of the tacky hoopla? Can't religion be a solemn, sacred experience anymore? My sister-in-law's Catholic church busted out a drum set when we were there for my niece's First Communion, and it was hard to fight back the laughter. So if Catholics are now subsribing to this tacky brand of religion, I can only imagine how bad it's gotten in those new no holds barred "mega-churches". If there's a God, I guarantee he's not into this schocky cheeseball garbage! Mozart and Bach used to pen symphonies in His honor. The greatest artists and architects in the world made beautiful works in His name. Now He gets dopey theme parks and cheesy no-talent rock bands playing bland, unoriginal music to a bunch of yahoos with their arms in the air. Do you really think God would be pleased with this low culture garbage?
It's hard to find a decent church these days that respects God in their worship.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 AM

193 posts, read 482,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Sounds about right to me.

Why can't people go to church without all of the tacky hoopla? Can't religion be a solemn, sacred experience anymore? My sister-in-law's Catholic church busted out a drum set when we were there for my niece's First Communion, and it was hard to fight back the laughter. So if Catholics are now subsribing to this tacky brand of religion, I can only imagine how bad it's gotten in those new no holds barred "mega-churches". If there's a God, I guarantee he's not into this schocky cheeseball garbage! Mozart and Bach used to pen symphonies in His honor. The greatest artists and architects in the world made beautiful works in His name. Now He gets dopey theme parks and cheesy no-talent rock bands playing bland, unoriginal music to a bunch of yahoos with their arms in the air. Do you really think God would be pleased with this low culture garbage?
Many MANY people go to churches without all the tacky hoopla. And many many people go to churches with the tacky hoopla. There's a church for everyone if you explore. I'm not partial to any religion really, but why judge what others are doing? Focus on yourself, to each their own. Some people believe that God doesn't care where they worship and he's just as happy to have followers sitting in little cafes listening to sermons. Some people believe God wants you to take a horse and buggy to church and sit through a 5 hour service on benches. That's the beauty in sects of Christianity, everyone has their own interpretation of the bible and everyone relates to God in a different way, and spending our time focusing on the differences in Christianity is nothing but counter productive and will not enhance your own spirituality at all. Focus on bettering yourself- not critiquing others.

For the record, I'm not a Christian at this point in my life, but I am a believer in God, so I have no personal bias towards big traditional or large contemporary churches.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why can't people go to pride parades without looking all tacky and weird??? Do you think people like their children being exposed to drag queens and homosexuals making out??? This is how ignorant you sound and exactly why I think so called liberals are hypocrites and close-minded.
While I understand your point about how liberals can be often, your comments seem ignorant and out of left field, and puts you at the same level as the poster you were addressing.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post
While I understand your point about how liberals can be often, your comments seem ignorant and out of left field, and puts you at the same level as the poster you were addressing.
Not it is not ignorant, it is the truth. Liberals are more in your face with their views. Pride parades, protests,etc. It is tacky when your standing naked on a cover protesting in front of KFC, tacky when you see a man walking around in a short skirt with fake boobs, it is tacky when you see women dressed like men with baggy clothes and extremely rude when someone tries to call you stupid and naive because you go to church and praise god. This is what is tacky and ignorant. I don't even consider my self a conservative, but I'd rather be one than a liberal.

You don't go out attacking every single religious person because someone judge you because of your beliefs. I don't ever complain about issues like this, but it becomes a problem when liberals come out and tell use churches are cults and stupid, when they have NO room to talk about anything being tacky and stupid.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Why all the labels? Americans waste so much time putting people in groups and slapping labels on them, and then stereotyping. It's fruitless. Liberals can be in your face about views- ask people living in areas like San Fransisco or Boston. Conservatives can be in your face- ask people living in North Carolina or Louisiana. There's obnoxious people on both sides, and I feel equally so. Walk down the streets of NYC and you have people standing there screaming about Sodom and Gomorrah- how homosexuals and prochoice advocates will end up in the fiery pits of hell. Tacky. One street over you'll find a liberal in underwear screaming about equal rights. Tacky too, in my opinion.

If you spend your life categorizing and making broad assumptions of groups, you'll never actually look at the positives and negatives all of types of people out there. I choose to see people as people, instead of seeing people separated into groups by their political agenda.

If sounds like you're a true conservative, jluke, based on your generalizations- so don't feel shame in that! I will not judge you by the actions of other conservatives. If you were true middle of the road though, you wouldn't spend time out of your day negatively stereotyping just one party.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Why all the labels? Americans waste so much time putting people in groups and slapping labels on them, and then stereotyping. It's fruitless. Liberals can be in your face about views- ask people living in areas like San Fransisco or Boston. Conservatives can be in your face- ask people living in North Carolina or Louisiana. There's obnoxious people on both sides, and I feel equally so. Walk down the streets of NYC and you have people standing there screaming about Sodom and Gomorrah- how homosexuals and prochoice advocates will end up in the fiery pits of hell. Tacky. One street over you'll find a liberal in underwear screaming about equal rights. Tacky too, in my opinion.

If you spend your life categorizing and making broad assumptions of groups, you'll never actually look at the positives and negatives all of types of people out there. I choose to see people as people, instead of seeing people separated into groups by their political agenda.

If sounds like you're a true conservative, jluke, based on your generalizations- so don't feel shame in that! I will not judge you by the actions of other conservatives. If you were true middle of the road though, you wouldn't spend time out of your day negatively stereotyping just one party.
I don't categorize. It's just pathetic that liberals consider themselves open-minded, but yet come on here and judge us church-goers. Like I said I've never complain about these things in RL and a few of my friends are people who don't even believe in god, but I don't care. I'm fine with that, not everyone does, but they don't call me ignorant and stupid for believing in him. How did I stereotype?? I mean Pride parades do happen, homosexuals do exist, so what do you mean stereotyping??

Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
My vote goes to Atlanta
How shocking that this would be your choice.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 PM

Some liberals do that, and it's unfortunate that they do, and I apologize on behalf of them (because as much as I don't like labeling, my views tend to put me on the more liberal side). Fortunately, there are many liberals who accept your faith and Christianity so all I'm asking is that you remember there are people of every color on both sides of the political spectrum. Don't let the ignorant radicals define everyone- because many of us more liberal minded Americans accept and welcome other views. Oh what a world it would be if the world was JUST liberals... I don't care how many liberal beliefs I have, I'm glad there are conservative views to provide diversity and a wide spectrum of beliefs.

ETA- In my opinion, both the democratic party and republication party have both lost sight of their core values, and I think many liberals and many conservatives need to remember what their morals truly are, and start putting their actions where their mouths are.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Some liberals do that, and it's unfortunate that they do, and I apologize on behalf of them (because as much as I don't like labeling, my views tend to put me on the more liberal side). Fortunately, there are many liberals who accept your faith and Christianity so all I'm asking is that you remember there are people of every color on both sides of the political spectrum. Don't let the ignorant radicals define everyone- because many of us accept and welcome other views. Oh what a world it would be if the world was JUST liberals... I don't care how many liberal beliefs I have, I'm glad there are conservative views to provide diversity and a wide spectrum of beliefs.
I was mainly addressing the ones who aren't as open-minded as they think they are. In the rl, I would be considered liberal, but I don't consider myself that. I'm just in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.