U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in a gated community?
Yes, if I could afford it. 89 35.04%
No, I like traditional neighborhoods. 140 55.12%
I'm not sure.. 25 9.84%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:22 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,817,519 times

Advertisements

That should have been $52/month. OK my New Year's resolution really HAS to be to type more slowly. I keep dropping off words. Sometimes imprtant words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 10:33 AM

55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
i would not. they give a false sense of security. just lost 2 young friends, they were brother and sister, murdered in their own place. easy to get in a gated community, many are built in marginal areas but are hyped as "safe" bek they have security.
not so.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:42 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,462,842 times
I'm lazy and like convenience. Gated communities have advantages and disadvantages. It's generally pretty safe for the kids to play. Since everyone everywhere complains of traffic, I can only assume the entire US population drive like knobs. My travels tend to confirm the theory. In my neighborhood, there are no gates but people tend to use residential neighborhoods as freeways and drive way too fast. This is a problem in all city neighborhoods from what I'm hearing. I'm actually more afraid my kid will be hit by a car than I am of exposure to crime. Gated communities take that worry away. Other than that, I can't see any advantage. Most traditional neighborhoods are fairly safe crime-wise and are generally more convenient. Gated communities may have a private park to play in but they don't have things like hardware stores. They tend to be far from where anyone works. About the only people who work in gated communities are the security personnel and odds are that they don't live nearby. It seems sort of insane to me. To me, gated communities are just too much of a pain.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:47 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,286,390 times
I live in a guard gated community. I really could care less either way. At times I feel gated neighborhoods in Mission Viejo is one of the dumbest things since it was ranked one of the safest cities in the nation. I mean, who are we seriously trying to keep out, maybe its those crazy driving soccer moms? Well, I bought in the neighborhood because it was the house we wanted, not the gate. In general I never notice the association. I like how clean the streets are and stuff, but I would just as well live outside of the gate also.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:39 PM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I'm not even sure that I've ever seen a gated community, with the exception of some primarily elderly neighbourhoods in Florida...

Are there any gated communities in New Hampshire? I've never heard of such a thing, and I've never seen one anywhere in New England...

But to answer the question, there's no way I'd ever live in one.
Not too many up in the North. Gated communities tend are much more popular in the Sunbelt, where communities tend to be more "third-worldish"--large disparities between the haves and have-nots, social distinctions are given greater importance among the people, and greater crime rates exist. I'm thinking gated communities probably originated in third-world countries, e.g., South Africa, South America.

Not my cup of tea, either.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:49 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,864,128 times
Yeah, I don't think I've ever been in one either.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:51 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,817,519 times
"I mean, who are we seriously trying to keep out, maybe its those crazy driving soccer moms?"

Great line! Definitely deserves a rep point.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:07 PM

718 posts, read 2,484,267 times
Gated Communities mean different things in different area's. Where i grew up in Pleasanton, Ca if you lived in a gated community it meant you had some real money. some times its just a sign of prestige, a gated community with a golf course. other times a gate can really mean secruity. For example in the city of stockton, ca you can move into a gated community with homes going for 400,000$. middle and upper middle class people that need to live in stockton for what ever reason need this gate and private security to keep out issues such as gang violence, car thefts, home invasions, etc.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:47 AM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Gated Communities mean different things in different area's. Where i grew up in Pleasanton, Ca if you lived in a gated community it meant you had some real money. some times its just a sign of prestige, a gated community with a golf course. other times a gate can really mean secruity. For example in the city of stockton, ca you can move into a gated community with homes going for 400,000$. middle and upper middle class people that need to live in stockton for what ever reason need this gate and private security to keep out issues such as gang violence, car thefts, home invasions, etc.
Well, we have gang violence, car thefts and home invasions here in the Twin Cities, but we don't need no stinkin' gates!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:50 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times
I live in a gated community, and I LOVE it. Keeps the undesireables out and the sense of community in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or