Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in a gated community?
Yes, if I could afford it. 89 35.04%
No, I like traditional neighborhoods. 140 55.12%
I'm not sure.. 25 9.84%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:55 PM

28 posts, read 146,113 times

Advertisements

Yes you can get a very nice home, not so cookie cutter, in a gated community.
More importantly, homes in gated communities sell for about 15% higher than non gated.
I know as I sell homes for a living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 04:25 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,917,067 times
I've lived in 3 gated communities, two of them weren't bad at all. I don't necessarily care for the one I'm in now, but I'm leaving to move back to CA anyway on June 1st, so it won't really matter. Living in a gated has both pros and cons.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:22 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times
I'm a freedom lover, and being neither fearful nor paranoid, my answer is no. (Caveat--I reserve the right to change my answer if I would be forced to live in Baghdad or Mogadishu :-) )

Old 04-17-2007, 08:30 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,728,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Gowin View Post
I also disagree with the fact that many people who live in gated communities are running in fear from society. Why not help solve the problem of the crime in the community. How about volunteering to be a mentor to a young teen in trouble, or maybe get involved with your local police department to help find ways to combat the crime rate in your city. I recommend joining a church and finding ways to help people in need.... Give back to the community and see things change for the good.... Do not hide cowardly behind wall and gates.... Get out and make a difference.....
Whoa! You are being very judgemental about people who live in gated communities! I happen to live in one. How in the world do you know what every single person who lives behind those gates does? In my community of over 4,000 homes, there happens to be a lot going on behind our gates as well as on the outside of our community. Beleive it or not, we do belong to churches, help others inside as well as outside of our gates, and volunteer. We are not living there just to hide!
I don't know what kind of research you are doing or why, but I think you need to do a little more research and a little less judging of people just because there is a gate in their community.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:11 PM

4 posts, read 15,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Moderator cut: off topic

No one is hiding behind the gates of their subdivision. They're hiding from Moderator cut: personal do-goodie people who want to shove their values down other people's throats.
I am not trying to shove my do-goodie agenda down anyones throat, I just mearly want to shed some light on the subject of fear. Fear of others is why people move to gated communities, residents are highly afraid of others based on biases, race, religion, culture, gender, social/economic status. This fear effects our live so much that they cannot live within society they hide out in gated areas where there is no chance to come to grips or cope with the fear. Or is this the way to cope? I, myself come with sterotypes and biases but, I would rather get to know people on an individual basis in order to breakdown my biases and get along with others so I will not live in fear. Those in hiding continue to live in fear daily of what might come over the wall to get them.....

Old 04-17-2007, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 15,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Whoa! You are being very judgemental about people who live in gated communities! I happen to live in one. How in the world do you know what every single person who lives behind those gates does? In my community of over 4,000 homes, there happens to be a lot going on behind our gates as well as on the outside of our community. Beleive it or not, we do belong to churches, help others inside as well as outside of our gates, and volunteer. We are not living there just to hide!
I don't know what kind of research you are doing or why, but I think you need to do a little more research and a little less judging of people just because there is a gate in their community.
I apologize for the judgemental attitude, I am concerned with the GreenHills Estates in my community of Chowchilla, California. The division is manned 24-hours a day by security guards and has flat tire strips if you even try to enter without permission. Is this really necessary? Our town is small only 13,000 people. I know for a fact that this community does not get involved inside the gates much less outside the gates. There is no commitment to humanity. It's really heartwrenching to see people moving into our community from out of town and never getting involved or stepping out to help with societal woes. Complain, Complain, Complain is all they do. Those are the people I direct this message to.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,543,801 times
I live in a gated community, but it sits way back off the road no guard shack or any of that stuff needed, nothing fancy just two posts, gate, & a lot of fencing to keep all the animals in

Old 04-17-2007, 11:00 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,541,404 times
The people that voted no obviously don't live where they have to worry about somebody running into their house, but as for me and mines, we'll take the gated community. They always seem to sit in their own little world, and the ones I've been to were so peaceful and mild without any disturbance.

The most beautiful ones of all are the gated communities that sit in a forest. Like the kind you see on television.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:14 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,917,067 times
I don't believe any of us who live in gated communities are hiding from anything or are living in fear. Heck, I STILL keep my doors and windows locked! I don't live with a false sense of security. If someone wanted to get into your house badly enough, they will get in - regardless of whether you live in a gated or not! We didn't choose to live in our homes because they were in gated communities. We chose our homes solely because we liked the houses. We were open to either gated or not. It didn't really matter to us.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:44 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,424,364 times
Every bit helps, I mean with that attitude here, why not just leave all your doors open, if something is going to happen, it will anyhow here...that is rather niave thinking, In this world, you should do everything in your power to protect yourself and your family, if your not, then your a stastic waiting to happen here, not fear out of control, it is called using your common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.