U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in a gated community?
Yes, if I could afford it. 89 35.04%
No, I like traditional neighborhoods. 140 55.12%
I'm not sure.. 25 9.84%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:57 AM

607 posts, read 3,309,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I'm getting the impression that "gated" doesn't necessarily mean literally having a gate at the entrance to the community, right? Sounds like some define gated as an over-regulated, prescriptive place with private recreational facilities and perhaps private security where like-minded people can make and enforce their own rules.

Different strokes!
you got it................ and they won't let you check you oil in your own driveway either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 12:01 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,922,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
I grew up in a gated community in the sixties and seventies. It was just outside of New York City. I could see the Empire State building from my bedroom window It was one of the first gated communities in New York.

Actually it was a residential U.S. Army fort. We had M.P.s driving around 24 hours a day and if you didn't have a military I.D. you couldn't come onto the base.

Now my neighborhood is a city park. My old house is now an office building for the Parks Dept. of N.Y.C............................... go figure.
Dennis
Can you share any more about your former gated community?
Was it really Army?
It's fascinating to me to see how much a place can change.
Denver's former Lowry airforce base is now a residential community--but not gated.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:36 PM

607 posts, read 3,309,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Dennis
Can you share any more about your former gated community?
Was it really Army?
It's fascinating to me to see how much a place can change.
Denver's former Lowry airforce base is now a residential community--but not gated.
It's called Fort Totten and it is a peninsula under the Throgs Neck Bridge. It is a beautiful piece of land and was used for mostly residential but there were some small offices there. During the Vietnam War the reserve units used it for training. Besides that it was just a lot of familys and kids running around playing baseball and fishing in the Long Island sound.

Now, it is still gated and being used by the City of New York as a park and offices and no one is allowed to drive in there unless you work in one of the offices. People walk around and look at the old officers' quarters and they have tours of the "old fort" that was built for the civil war. It's pretty cool. I think there is one just like it in San Francisco under the Golden Gate Bridge.

It' pretty eyrie though walking around in a neighborhood of 30 room houses that no one lives in any more. No cars... no kids running around.... no one walking dogs or working in their garden. Just tourists and seagulls. It's like The Twilight Zone............But it's still gated.

www.forttotten.org

Old 05-26-2007, 03:12 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,373,749 times
From what I have read, gated communities really aren't that much less likely to stop burglaries and such as non-gated communities at least partially due to the fact that people in gated enclaves let their guard down. So even if you live in a gated community you have to follow good security practices because, well, I have known a lot of rich kids in SoCal who were drug addicts and it is those insiders who will often break into your place or car even behind a gate.

A gated community that isn't guard gated is absolutely worthless. Just an arm on an island isn't going to stop bad guys from getting in.

However, it is true that gated communities are good for equity due to the psychological component. People are feeling more out of control in their cities and suburbs so they resort to gated communities. There is also more control exercised over the predilections of residences so that lawns get mowed, you don't have garish house paint and the neighborhood in general is well kept up. In a non-HOA environment that is something you just pray for.

I would definitely live in one, but it would have to fit quite a number of criteria before I would pull the trigger on it. A lot of guard gated areas have Potemkin security. I'm not going to pay for that.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:57 PM

185 posts, read 900,948 times
i voted no becuase I want to do what I want to do in my house.

a local gated community will not allow for children to have swing/jungle gyms in their backyard. That's fun that I want my daughter to have growing up.

most gated communities have limitations on numbers of pets. my 5 cats stay indoors. they don't bother anyone. so it's no one's business if i want to have 5 pets, in my opionion but gated communities diss agree

i don't want to be required to keep my driveway empty of all vehicles. sure i park in the garage, but if i'm working on something, i might want to leave my car out a few nights.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:44 AM

111 posts, read 180,745 times
Cool Yes.. I Do And I Looovvvveeee It!!!

I live in a Gated Golf Community in a Coastal Florida City and I LOVE it! I have lived in a gated communities all my life and feel it's the only way to live. Of course if you think I'm braggin' maybe I am a little but If you've been to South West Florida you would see that mostly all there is are gated communities. There are two types of gated communities. The ones with just a gate and a pin-pad and the Good ones with a guard at the gate and security driving thru the community. The only down fall is HOA (Home Owners Association) fees are VERY HIGH! ($6,500 per Quarter(3 months) )

PS. This Post inspired me to drive up the entrance and Take a picture. If you notice the gaurd was not too happy (they don't like it when you take picture of the entrance.). He when I went to go back in he ask what it was for... I told him it was a picture for my family up north .(hahaha sucka)

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g150/shilt86/TheEntranceToMyHome.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-09-2007, 12:19 PM

81 posts, read 296,934 times
If I could afford it, sure why not?

Old 06-09-2007, 02:26 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,285,699 times
Quote:
($6,500 per Quarter(3 months) )
What is the name of that gated community? I only pay a couple hundred each month and my community is on the higher-end of most gated communities in the Valley.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:11 PM

2,744 posts, read 2,840,730 times
Yes and no.

I agree with many of the negatives that were stated on these first two pages of comments.

However....

If a gated community adds shared community resources, say like an Olympic Sized Pool, a Recreation center for parties, tennis courts, and even a mini general store for say, milk... that could be a very appealing thing.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:52 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,460,697 times
No way. I voted no, but I don't like traditional neighborhoods either. I want to move way out in the country on at least 5 acres. That is living to me.

I live near the gated community on the link below.

White Bluff

So much for gates. They broke up a huge meth ring in a fancy-dancy house up there. So sad!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or