U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in a gated community?
Yes, if I could afford it. 89 35.04%
No, I like traditional neighborhoods. 140 55.12%
I'm not sure.. 25 9.84%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 06:34 AM

989 posts, read 5,420,425 times

Advertisements

Question! Would you live in a gated community? -Why Or Why Not?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 06:47 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,909,074 times
Not all gated communities are the same, but I still voted no.
I tend to dislike several things about them.
They feel, to me, like I am being kept in rather than undesirables are being kept out. It's as if the homeowner is in some sort of fortress, like going back to feudalism. On top of that, I don't think they especially stop a determined criminal; also weirdos and whatnot can still enter (or live in) a gated community.
Finally, I don't care for the automobile-oriented style of gated communities.
I do not care for front-loaded garages or having to get into a car for every single little errand.
I prefer a traditional neighborhood with alleyways and a community center and all that good stuff.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:53 AM

3,570 posts, read 7,930,308 times
I agree with cil, traditional is the way to go for me. When I drive by some gated communities I get the feeling that I'm not good enough to go through the gates to "those" houses.

Criminals are masterminds. If they want something bad enough they will find a way to get it.

When we lived in Florida we rented an apartment in a gated community. We rented through the internet so didn't know about the gate. It did add a level of security to the area we lived in, but it would stay open long enough that people could wait and zoom through when someone else was going in. People wouldn't stop and question them. So it didn't offer much security...and I know it was a pain to order a pizza! My two cents.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:26 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,458,273 times
No. I just am not that paranoid. If I was, I would seriously reconsider moving to that area in the first place.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:48 AM

2,072 posts, read 11,077,623 times
I did once - but never again. You have too many restrictions, it's loud and not neighborhood friendly. Also, being in a gated building, you have a false sense of security. Cars will get stolen, breakins - if someone wants to get in,they will.

Last edited by Paula Lynn; 03-06-2007 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-06-2007, 08:10 AM

5,019 posts, read 12,738,933 times
I voted "no" for two reasons:

1. I like old houses with lots-o character. Most gated communities are too new for my taste and

2. This is a bit embarassing, but I'm in a blurting mood this morning: I see gated-community living as something old people do.

Did I just say that? I'm old, but I'm not that old. Perhaps when I'm 92 or so.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:12 AM

1,025 posts, read 3,764,788 times
Gate? I want a 24-hour doorman!

A proper doorman restricts access as effciently as any nightclub bouncer, will accept dry cleaning and package deliveries when I'm away, keep an eye on my luggage till I get it all downstairs, watch my shopping bags till I get them all into the elevator, accept food deliveries, tell people I'm not in when I am (but do not wish to be disturbed), greet me cheerfully and hand me my newspapers in the morning.

Let's see a gate do that.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:47 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I voted "no" for two reasons:

1. I like old houses with lots-o character. Most gated communities are too new for my taste and

2. This is a bit embarassing, but I'm in a blurting mood this morning: I see gated-community living as something old people do.

Did I just say that? I'm old, but I'm not that old. Perhaps when I'm 92 or so.

Hey, I've known some pretty feisty old people.

Gated communities are for weenies.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:13 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,092,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Not all gated communities are the same, but I still voted no.
I tend to dislike several things about them.
They feel, to me, like I am being kept in rather than undesirables are being kept out. It's as if the homeowner is in some sort of fortress, like going back to feudalism. On top of that, I don't think they especially stop a determined criminal; also weirdos and whatnot can still enter (or live in) a gated community.
Finally, I don't care for the automobile-oriented style of gated communities.
I do not care for front-loaded garages or having to get into a car for every single little errand.
I prefer a traditional neighborhood with alleyways and a community center and all that good stuff.
I agree with all of the above, plus gated communities usually equal homeowners associations and cookie cutter homes. While I know they (both HOA and cookie cutter houses) are ever so poular down south, I hate them. That is one of the reasons I never bought a home when I lived there.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:20 AM

2,814 posts, read 12,072,235 times
I would live in a gated community no problem. If you buy a home in such a neighborhood, you're going to expect strict HOA rules and regulations, etc. If I were that wealthy and I wanted to live in a place with a lot of other equally wealthy people, you bet, I'd buy a home in a gated community with a guard at the gate.
I had a doctor buddy in Las Vegas who had a palatial property in a gated community and the house was stunning. So was the neighborhood. It was a million dollar home a gorgeous neighborhood (though the front yards were awfully tiny). Even if it's a false sense of security, you still feel somewhat insulated from the outside world. And though it's true that bad folks can still get in if they want to, it's much more difficult. The guard at this community would stop all cars without a special sticker and take the name, license plate number, make of the vehicle, and would ask where that car was headed. He would also call the specific resident for permission. If he couldn't get ahold of that person, the non-resident car did not come through the gate. That's pretty good security in my book.
I never have lived in such a neighborhood and the closest I ever had to that was in Las Vegas where my neighborhood had only one way in, and one way out. Few people came into the neighborhood because they couldn't find their way out again. I liked that.
But I wouldn't trade my current home now on acreage in a fairly upscale area with the world's best neighbors for a gated community at this point. I love where I live and I like that I can do as I please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or