U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2007, 09:49 AM

53 posts, read 225,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Leaving the Midwest? too bad.
Possibly. We're still here now. )
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
naya,

where in the South did you guys travel? The south isnt as bad as you might think, unless you are in rural areas(but that is the same up north).

I am from the South, born and bred. As a black male married to a white female, we travel down often. Atlanta, Charleston, Charlotte, Alexandria, Nashville, Austin,Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Miami Savannah, are fine with IR couples--esp your combination, much less for bmwf
Really? We travel a lot all over and we've had our worst experiences in the South. We caught hell in Atlanta. Some old lady said she'd pray for my soul. In Memphis someone called my boyfriend a "slave driver." And of course small towns are horrible. I'm working in Jenison, MI right outside of Grand Rapids and someone called me "a little colored girl" the other day. LOL.

I'm sure you get it worst than I though.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:05 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,096,776 times
fortunately , i have never had those kinds of experiences that you have had in the south, possibly because I am from the South and I know who to avoid and who to befriend--being middle class we dont hang around the areas that people usually say those things.

In the rural areas maybe though. Portland Oregon was scary though, the people openly yelled out the N word at us.

As for Old Kensington(I am not sure where old comes from) Kensington area is still scary- it is a ghetto that is changing to be more gentrified, but I dont think it is a great place to move.

Try City Paper philadelpia, apartment.com philadelphia, Philadelphia weekly, philadelphia Inquirer, Chesnut hill local, apartments cc philadelphia

there arent any apartments in kensington, it is still a ghetto and all the apartments are privately owned

Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
fortunately , i have never had those kinds of experiences that you have had in the south, possibly because I am from the South and I know who to avoid and who to befriend--being middle class we dont hang around the areas that people usually say those things.

In the rural areas maybe though. Portland Oregon was scary though, the people openly yelled out the N word at us.

As for Old Kensington(I am not sure where old comes from) Kensington area is still scary- it is a ghetto that is changing to be more gentrified, but I dont think it is a great place to move.

Try City Paper philadelpia, apartment.com philadelphia, Philadelphia weekly, philadelphia Inquirer, Chesnut hill local, apartments cc philadelphia

there arent any apartments in kensington, it is still a ghetto and all the apartments are privately owned
Yeah, we just pick last minute vacation packages online based upon an attraction we want to see (I.E. Memphis Zoo, lol) and go. Which is probably part of our problem. We've not had too many bad experiences but enough to stick out.

Thanks soo much for that information on Kensington! I don't want to live in the "hood" lmao. Been there, done that as a child. No one said it was a bad area.

Here is a list of neighborhoods I've started to build. How are these areas. And again all of this is greatly appreciated!

Center City
Chestnut Hill
Mt Airy
Manayunk
Lower Northern Liberties
Queen Village
Northern Bella Vista
Lower Fairmount
University City
Society Hill
Old City
Washington Square West

Old 03-06-2007, 10:24 AM

I live in washington sq west, it is a great place for IR couples--med students, singles, young couples. we have nice parks to walk to, antique shops, bars, restaurants, in heart of shopping and arts.

all those areas are good that you listed, you left out two good ones though, Rittenhouse and Art Museum area. and also Fitler Square.

Queen Village is cool
Society Hill is great

Old 03-06-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I live in washington sq west, it is a great place for IR couples--med students, singles, young couples. we have nice parks to walk to, antique shops, bars, restaurants, in heart of shopping and arts.

all those areas are good that you listed, you left out two good ones though, Rittenhouse and Art Museum area. and also Fitler Square.

Queen Village is cool
Society Hill is great

I'm sorry to keep bugging you, lol. I"m having so much trouble finding these areas online. Are they actual cities? Or just the names of areas within cities? Like Philadelphia is the city....Center City is an area within Philadelphia? Sorry if I sound completely idiotic right now.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:43 PM

naya,

Philadelphia is the city and the county.

all those other places are just neighborhoods.

If you go to the places I gave you

Philadelphia City Paper
Philadelphia Weekly
Philadelphia Inquirer
Chestnut Hill Local

and google these names and look for housing, apartments, etc

Old 03-06-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
naya,

Philadelphia is the city and the county.

all those other places are just neighborhoods.

If you go to the places I gave you

Philadelphia City Paper
Philadelphia Weekly
Philadelphia Inquirer
Chestnut Hill Local

and google these names and look for housing, apartments, etc

LOL, yup i've figured it out now. I was deprived of food earlier and not thinking clearly. Again, thanks a bunch.

We've found quite a few places that look nice in Mt. Airy.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:23 PM

mt airy is great, i was a model in the US, devised by a urban planner/named Rouse-to create a pro Interracial community. Mt Airy was a model for integration and IR community. also Columbia Maryland, Hyde Park in Chicago, and Montclair in NJ.

mt airy has a groovy food co-op, good historic homes. I know of a good housing cooperative that a friend used to live--rent is cheap and the people there are amazing. and Mt airy in right near Chestnut Hill that is old money community with good public school, parks, hiking trails, restaurant, shopping galore, community fair. etc Borders and Starbucks along with indie coffee shops and bookstores--great chinese restaurants too and awesome library

Old 03-06-2007, 01:27 PM

www.chestnuthilllocal.com

look in classified section for homes for rent in Mt Airy and CH

chestnut hill estate section apartment are so great, we lived in there for a few years, management is wonderful, apartments and neighbors are nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or