U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2007, 08:01 AM

53 posts, read 225,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
Nayo01 You should live anywhere you please with the man you love.
You would think so...however...lots of people aren't as pleased with us being together as we are. I don't mind the stares, head shakes, etc. But when people come right out and make rude comments...that's when it's time to look for a more friendly environment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 08:23 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,781,780 times
I'd say NYC but it's probably too expensive in most of it for young people starting out. There are all sorts in NYC.
I would advise NOT Long Island...it is the most segregated place, even though I see it changing a little.

In the end, it's sad anyone cares who you date. I wish you luck.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:07 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,096,234 times
and we have a great Puerto Rican area here in Philly, also we have a large Latin community

Tierra Colombian is the place for goooooood central american food---having grown up living in Central America for time i need the fix often

New york is good but housing is just ridiculous.

Better in philly, rent is good, jobs are good and we have a decent cultural life--and IRs are welcomed here. I am the source as we are doing well right in the heart of CC

Old 03-09-2007, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 16,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya01 View Post
Hey all,

I'm Naya and i'm Afro-Latina (Haitian and Dominican) and my boyfriend is White (English, Irish and French).

I'm originally from Chicago, IL and he's from Grand Rapids, MI currently we both reside in Michigan. I miss big city life and he's looking for something larger than GR but smaller than Chicago.

Being a part of an inter-racial couple has been hard both living in Chicago which is extremely segregated and GR which has close to no Black/Latino residents.

Where is a city that is used to seeing inter racial couples? Where we won't get stares of hatred, rude comments, etc at just walking down the street holding hands engrossed in one another?

Does anywhere like this exist even?!

We're young. 21 and 23 respectively and we like to be out and about. We're not into the club/bar/rowdy scene. I'm a yuppie and he's a bit of a loner/artist type (oh yeah, somewhere where he can play hockey and I can buy arroz con gaundules and fried chicken a huge plus! lol)

We've no kids and all the time in the world. We're open to moving almost anywhere in the States. We've had some bad experiences visiting southern States though, so probably nowhere down south.

Please help us find somewhere to call home.

Naya
I'm in Michigan too, and in Roseveille, Clinton Towship, Warren and I think Mt Clemens(I'm not sure about MT.C) area all you see is IR couples... I think that's where most IR live. I didn't know people still had a problem with IR couples this day and age because everywhere I go all I see IR couples. Oh....Downtown Detroit Too anywhere around a University. Find a more middle class or upper middle class areas to live close to or in . GR is kinda a backwoods city.

Last edited by OutofMI; 03-09-2007 at 02:01 PM..

Old 03-09-2007, 01:53 PM

hmmm, i guess reporting it doesnt help naya, they think because they dont see the crimes against IRs they arent happening. But they are, all the time, as I have said in the www.splc.org website southern poverty law center

Old 03-09-2007, 02:04 PM

37 posts, read 44,634 times
sad that racism still exists! there are lots of inter racial couples in nj, it's common to see here cause there's nothing wrong with it! people are mean!

Old 03-09-2007, 02:34 PM

pidge? are you a person? then are you mean? Yes, all can be mean, and prejudice. there are people who hate conservatives, who hate christians and jews, who hate blacks and muslims, who hate if someone has a different opinion than they do. I hear it all the time, not sure what area of new jersey you are from, I live right over the border in PA and NJ people are just as mean about things, racial, political, religious etc

people are mean, that means you too right?

Old 03-09-2007, 03:09 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,792,236 times
Thumbs up O' Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya01 View Post
Hey all,

I'm Naya and i'm Afro-Latina (Haitian and Dominican) and my boyfriend is White (English, Irish and French).

I'm originally from Chicago, IL and he's from Grand Rapids, MI currently we both reside in Michigan. I miss big city life and he's looking for something larger than GR but smaller than Chicago.

Being a part of an inter-racial couple has been hard both living in Chicago which is extremely segregated and GR which has close to no Black/Latino residents.

Where is a city that is used to seeing inter racial couples? Where we won't get stares of hatred, rude comments, etc at just walking down the street holding hands engrossed in one another?

Does anywhere like this exist even?!

We're young. 21 and 23 respectively and we like to be out and about. We're not into the club/bar/rowdy scene. I'm a yuppie and he's a bit of a loner/artist type (oh yeah, somewhere where he can play hockey and I can buy arroz con gaundules and fried chicken a huge plus! lol)

We've no kids and all the time in the world. We're open to moving almost anywhere in the States. We've had some bad experiences visiting southern States though, so probably nowhere down south.

Please help us find somewhere to call home.

Naya
Have you two ever thought about Windsor, Ontario? I found it to be one of best neighborhoods for race relations in general. There are many 'IR' couples through-out the city across the river from Detroit. People don't even give it a second thought as to what color-combo you and significant other are! Another plus is that hockey has a strong influence in the area. (Windsor Spitfires...)

I know it's Canada, but i've considered moving there myself at one point in time as i was impressed how racially intertwined the city is. Coming from Detroit, as you can probably understand, it was a big culture shock for me, which was hard to grasp with Detroit and Windsor being a 'hop, skip and a jump away'. It truly is a 'tale of two cities'.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:10 PM

692 posts, read 2,422,687 times
Quote:
You would think so...however...lots of people aren't as pleased with us being together as we are. I don't mind the stares, head shakes, etc. But when people come right out and make rude comments...that's when it's time to look for a more friendly environment.
I hear you.
People can be hypocrites/idoits when it comes to race.
At the end of the day I get into bed with my wife
not with the clueless.

Hang in there kid you and your man will be alright.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:35 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,370,480 times
Come to Northern Virginia. Very diverse, very tolerant and integrated. Interracial couples galore of every possible mixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or