U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

23 year old marketing graduate seeking American city similar to Toronto, Montreal, Sunderland, liberal views, enjoy clubs, deep discussions other than reality television

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,142,941 times

Advertisements

Buffalo sounds good for you. Pretty much sums up what all the thighs you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 PM

193 posts, read 429,923 times
I'm in such a similar situation- only doing the opposite! I'm from a liberal area of CT and am looking to relocate to the South- although politics do not influence my move- I understand I am moving to a more conservative area and though I am mostly a liberal, I know that because I am looking at big cities, I'll find plenty of liberals in the city core to interact with. I'm 22 and relocating my small business to somewhere where the economy is strong and the cost of living is relatively low (I'm so sick of living where it's so expensive!).

I would suggest Boston to you as well, as long as you go into it knowing how expensive it is. Boston is extremely expensive, especially without roommates. It is a wonderful beautiful city and I believe it would have opportunity for you in your career, but just remember the winters are COLD and for me personally, unbearable (I get depressed when it gets so cold for so long), and it is very expensive. And that might be something you can tolerate- and the pros might outweigh the cons. For me they don't, but for many they do. Also, keep in mind there are a ton of young people in boston, and many of them are college students. Many non-college people say this doesn't bother them, but some people say it gets annoying after awhile in all of the clubs and bars. I'm sure if you read more on the Boston forum there will be more insight.

Portland- Portland is very nice and liberal, however I narrowed it out for two reasons. 1. The weather is cold and it rains a lot. 2. I am a liberal, but if you surround me with all people like me, it begins to get on my nerves. For this reason, I decided Portland would not be a match for me, but it might be for you! I hear it's a pretty city with great people- and so if you can handle extreme liberalism (at least, compared to most other US cities) and the weather, then it might be a great option. It's quite expensive too, but not as much so as Boston I believe.

I believe Portland and Boston would be most similar to Toronto so those will be my recommendations for you based on your criteria.

I'm personally strongly considering Austin. I believe the political climate is more varied, which I like, but probably on the more liberal side- which is good for me. The weather of nice (if you prefer warmer during the winter), cost of living is low compared to northern cities, and the people are generally nice people. It's perfect for raising a family in the far future and perfect for me as a young adult who wants to go to bars and unique restaurants. For many people the cons are: It's Texas, it might be too young, and apartments are expensive compared to the rest of the region, but overall for me the pros outweigh the cons.

Sorry to talk about myself so much! My situation and research reminded me of yours though so I figured I would pass on my own thoughts as I'm going through similar questions right now about my own relocation- I've been on these forums for about 2 months now just trying to weigh pros and cons of everywhere- and I've torn the country apart at this point!!!

Chicago, LA, NYC, and SF would also be nice for you job wise, but I'm sure as you know, they are very pricey and each have their own set of negatives. While I love those cities- I ruled them out immediately due to the high prices in them. Some people budget for it though and don't mind having to be more frugal in certain ways to afford these great large cities.

Good luck and please keep us updated!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:47 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,287,209 times
Miami

Old 01-04-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
LOL! What can I say, I break all the rules in the South . Austin sounds sort of interesting since I was born in Galveston and I heard that it's one of the most liberal places in Texas (irony ). Hmmm...I also like how close Syracuse is to Toronto. It's not as close as Buffalo, but still. Um...are the people in Syracuse friendly and social? I've only been to NYC and I have some friends and a former roommate from the NYC area. Some of them were really nice, like the ones from Chinatown and Queens, while others like my roommate were a bit blunt to the point of being very offensive.
Northerners are very blunt! You'll find that in Boston too. I always say- if a northerner dislikes you, they'll say it to your face. If a southerner dislikes you, they'll wait till you walk away.

This was hard for me to adjust to when I briefly lived in Texas for college- I always felt like people were fake. It will be something I need to adjust to when choosing to relocate to the south. Spend a bit of time up north and see if you can handle the northern brashness. I like it! It's real to me, and I find northerners very nice, but I know a lot of people don't get used to it, and I understand why! We're very intense sometimes!

Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,105,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post
Northerners are very blunt! You'll find that in Boston too. I always say- if a northerner dislikes you, they'll say it to your face. If a southerner dislikes you, they'll wait till you walk away.

This was hard for me to adjust to when I briefly lived in Texas for college- I always felt like people were fake. It will be something I need to adjust to when choosing to relocate to the south. Spend a bit of time up north and see if you can handle the northern brashness. I like it! It's real to me, and I find northerners very nice, but I know a lot of people don't get used to it, and I understand why! We're very intense sometimes!
I've never lived in the South though I've traveled there extensively and have friends from the South and family there but I've never really experienced this first hand from people in the South. However, I've experienced it in the Midwest.

People in the Northeast will tell you to your face whether they like you or not. And yes, they are more blunt. Conversely, here in Kansas City you will find that people are pretty damn fake when it comes to interpersonal relationships and you have a tough time telling friends from enemies. I've never seen so much backstabbing in any of the ten states that I've lived as I've seen in the Kansas City area. In other words, insincerity reigns supreme here. Honestly, you don't know whom you can trust here.

To the OP. Bangor, Maine might be another place to consider. The University of Maine is in nearby Orono and you will find plenty of people in your age bracket in that area.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:37 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,762,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
People in central NY are cordial but I've found people in the Buffalo area to be friendlier. Not sure about job opportunities in your field in either area though.

You might try northern New England. People in Vermont are pretty friendly and you may like Burlington because it is so close to Montreal.

And your assessment that Americans are more judgmental than in the cities you've visited outside of the USA is spot on. New Englanders are probably less judgmental than most in the country at least based upon my experiences. The most judgmental have been people in the Midwest and in particular the Kansas City region and Omaha. Avoid both of those areas...
Kansas City has it's issues, for sure, but it isn't nearly as bad as the south. I've lived all over the south, and KC is much less judgmental and fake than what I experienced in some places I'm familiar with down there. I agree that one could do much better than KC, however.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:24 PM

935 posts, read 2,192,946 times
Quote:

LOL, Yeah that's one negative aspect of the South. I'm sort of used to it, but what I meant by blunt is someone for instance walking up to me when I was wearing a tank-top and getting ready to put my t-shirt on over it and saying, "You need to change because you look like a **** with your breasts bursting out like that." Or someone knocking your stuff out of a seat at a restaurant b/c "This is our table and we always sit here!" That only happened to me once in NYC when vacationing there, but they could have simply asked me to move my stuff and I would have obliaged.

The only complaint I heard about Bostonians was when my friend in Montreal and her family were eating at a restaurant and a bunch of Bruins fans walked in before the game. They made fun of the waiter's accent, snapped their fingers demanding service (which Montreal is really slow-paced in comparison to most US cities), and when the Maitre D' asked them to quite down since they were talking really loud they said, "I'M AN AMERICAN! I HAVE MY RIGHTS!" My friend and her family left after that, but I sort of don't blame them I probably would have wanted to say, "You are the reason why most of the world thinks we're arrogant and rude." However, that's the only time I ever heard of anyone dissing Boston and I might check into Boston since my friend that lives in Chinatown worked in Boston for an internship and she seemed to like it. Not to mention I have a friend there as well.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Hmmmm sounds like those are some bad apples from each city! We're not QUITE as polite in the north, but those don't sound like typical New Yorkers or Bostonians.

Definitely visit Boston for a weekend! I think it will impress you more than expected and make the decision a lot easier- somehow I suspect you might end up there!

Good luck, and again, keep us updated!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:57 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,105,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Kansas City has it's issues, for sure, but it isn't nearly as bad as the south. I've lived all over the south, and KC is much less judgmental and fake than what I experienced in some places I'm familiar with down there. I agree that one could do much better than KC, however.
This is an understatement. The people are messed up, especially the women. Fortunately, later this year I'll be saying "fair thee well, get thy lost" to these people and this place. Somebody else can deal with these jerks...

To the OP. If you move to Bawston, be prepared to have room mates. You won't be able to afford an apartment on your own initially unless you have a job lined up prior to arriving. Bostonians are not know for being warm or friendly. I have family and friends there and when visiting the area, to be honest, I've found that aside from my family and friends, they are not always the most pleasant of people. New Yorkers seem friendlier than people in the Boston region.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:14 PM

935 posts, read 2,192,946 times
Quote:
Hmmmm sounds like those are some bad apples from each city! We're not QUITE as polite in the north, but those don't sound like typical New Yorkers or Bostonians.

Definitely visit Boston for a weekend! I think it will impress you more than expected and make the decision a lot easier- somehow I suspect you might end up there!

Good luck, and again, keep us updated!
I was hoping that not everyone was like that . Each situation is different in my opinion. Boston does sound interesting and I agree that I should consider checking it out to see if I like it first before deciding to move there. I moved straight to Seattle before getting a job lined up and ended up moving back home b/c I couldn't stand the anti-social (yet polite) nature of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
This is an understatement. The people are messed up, especially the women. Fortunately, later this year I'll be saying "fair thee well, get thy lost" to these people and this place. Somebody else can deal with these jerks...

To the OP. If you move to Bawston, be prepared to have room mates. You won't be able to afford an apartment on your own initially unless you have a job lined up prior to arriving. Bostonians are not know for being warm or friendly. I have family and friends there and when visiting the area, to be honest, I've found that aside from my family and friends, they are not always the most pleasant of people. New Yorkers seem friendlier than people in the Boston region.
I have a friend that lives there, but most of the people that I know are either settled down where they want to be or the ones that want to move are the kind who are very insecure and would want someone to babysit them, which I could not afford to do. For example, I was going to move to Washington DC, but backed out at the last moment when my potential roommates started talking about sharing one bedroom with a bunch of strangers in China Town instead of each of us getting jobs that can help us afford to live in DC (I had 2 interviews lined up). I dodged a bullet b/c it turns out one of the roommates ended up in NYC where they forbid to pay their rent and said they would rather live in the street than work in fast food.

So, if you're wondering why I seem hesitant about roommates, it's because I have seen people before who ended up getting stuck paying for the entire apartment while their roommate skipped out on it. I also heard not paying for the apartment could not only get you evicted but trash your credit rating, but it could be a rumor. My main plan is to check out the area though and if I do like it I would definitely try to get a job there first before moving and check to see how much it would cost to live there in comparison to how much I would be making. If I can find a reliable roommate then I would consider having one, but most of the friends I have that are reliable are pretty much settled down either in graduate school or with a family.

I'm also looking for an area that has pretty social people in it. I tried living in Seattle and just couldn't stand it b/c while the people were polite, the ones I've met did not seem social and did not really want to make friends. I'm a Communication major working on a Masters in Marketing Communications, so a social area is sort of important for me since I love to learn from other people and get to know new people. Then again, that's why I travel in part b/c I get to stay in hostels and meet interesting people from all over the globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.