U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,568,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I agree 100% with Pittsburgh, except it should be Northeast instead of East Coast, for previously stated reasons. Pittsburgh is thoroughly Appalachian, as Appalachia's only metropolis, unless you count Knoxville, which I don't.

Edit- add Richmond, which is Mid-Atlantic with Southern influences and always has been.
Without getting into a intense discussion of Pittsburgh, I see the city as Northeastern/East Coast in the following ways: It's within the political borders of the Northeast, it has a huge % of Italians, large % of Jews along with other demographic trends that mirror the Northeast, the layout of the city is reflective of the Northeast with narrow roads and paved buggy streets with extreme structural density in areas, 1/3 of our population lived in the row house neighborhoods at the cities peak, we are over 50% Roman Catholic, Pittsburgh's conversion to education, health care, and technology mimes the conversion of the East Coast, many neighborhood give me that East Coast vibe (as well as Appalachian), additionally, Pittsburghers undoubtedly align themselves with the Northeast

Now, Pittsburgh is sufficiently Appalachia as well in the following ways: large Scots-Irish population, economic ties to coal, more social conservative that the East Coast (and friendlier though its hard for me to believe), topography, Victorian style housing, Appalachian vibe when you drive down some street on the side of a mountain.

We also have a Midwest influence in that the Pittsburgh accent is closer to Midland speech than Eastern (regardless of the fact that we say "hoagie" and such), and there are parts (though few) of the city that show a Midwest architectural influence.

Last edited by ainulinale; 01-04-2009 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,457,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think Houston has just a little bit of a Southwestern influence.
Also, because of the strong Black American population and how many other races still have strong ties there, I would say Chicago has a slight Southern influence as well.
Houston has Gulf Coast, Southern, East Coast, Midwestern, Southwestern, and Texan influences.

I agree about Chicago. You could say the same for L.A. (slight Southern influence due to black population), which I don't think was on the list.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 33,438,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
That's interesting. I've never heard anyone say Las Vegas has a Midwest influence. What leads you to such a conclusion?

See as an example...

Transplanted LV Residents...Where did you come from?

Midwest is actually a bit of a misnomer as it actually an east half thing but perhaps best epitomized as midwestern.

You can actually see it at things like zoning meetings where the Californians run square into the midwestern views on property rights and such. But it strongly underlies the culture. The Libertarian Nevadan is in there as well but gets buried under the deluge of Californians and midwest/south/easterners.

Polyregional might be the term.

And all this fails to mention the Mexicans which are actually the largest single cultural group.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,910,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Las Vegas and Phoenix. Southwest will do. West adds no value. Actually little commonality with Denver.

Phoenix: Southwest
Las Vegas: Southwest with West Coast conflicting with Midwest influences

Phoenix actually has a touch of that conflict as well - but not as strong. I would also buy Las Vegas as simply southwest...but as soon as you note the west coast influence you need to add the midwest influence. And they do conflict in Las Vegas.
There is absolutely nothing Midwestern about Las Vegas.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,910,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Houston has Gulf Coast, Southern, East Coast, Midwest, Southwestern, and Texan influences.

I agree about Chicago. You could say the same for L.A. (slight Southern influence due to black population), which I don't think was on the list.
Houston has no Midwestern influences. It is Southern with Southwestern influences.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:07 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,457,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Houston has no Midwestern influences. It is Southern with Southwestern influences.
Thanks for telling me about the city I was born and live in and backing your statement up with proof to dispel me of my erroneous notions.

Any Southwestern influence is slight. Gulf Coast and other influences are much more prevalent.

Last edited by houstoner; 01-04-2009 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Houston has Gulf Coast, Southern, East Coast, Midwestern, Southwestern, and Texan influences.
I assume you're joking. If not, I'm sure NYC has Mongolian influences, but I won't categorize it as Mongolian considering that the influence has to be sufficiently notable. By claiming that a black presence equates to Southern influences, then every city in the union would therefore have a Southern influence. If that's the case then we'd be reduced to comparing city influence on a relative basis, and therefore would still not consider most cities Southern as Southern cities have a profoundly greater Southern influence.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for telling me about the city I was born and live in and backing your statement up with proof to dispel me of my erroneous notions.
No offense, but you didn't support your claims either. I am very interested as to how a city such as Houston has any Northeastern influence at all...

Old 01-04-2009, 03:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 33,438,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
There is absolutely nothing Midwestern about Las Vegas.

I live here. I provided evidence. I offer testimony. You?

Ever been off the strip?

Old 01-04-2009, 04:08 PM

18,644 posts, read 27,082,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I assume you're joking. If not, I'm sure NYC has Mongolian influences, but I won't categorize it as Mongolian considering that the influence has to be sufficiently notable. By claiming that a black presence equates to Southern influences, then every city in the union would therefore have a Southern influence. If that's the case then we'd be reduced to comparing city influence on a relative basis, and therefore would still not consider most cities Southern as Southern cities have a profoundly greater Southern influence.
Well I don't know about LA. But I do know that Chicago (which has a stronger presence of Black Americans than LA) with it's thriving blues scene, it's underrated bbq scene, it's history and connection with the South, and the type of arts and atmosphere that blacks brought with them during the great migration to Chicago is still evident. Detroit to a lesser extent as well.

As far as Houston, I don't know about East Coast (houstoner will explain this one as he knows the city much more than either you or I), but it is Gulf Coast, Southern, Texan, and Southwestern.

DFW is Southern, Texan, Southwestern, Great Plains, and a little Midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or