U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,237 posts, read 6,567,907 times
Reputation: 843

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Come on man! Kenosha, WI and Rockford, IL both have large Italian communities--as does San Francisco and New Orleans. Would you consider these cities to be Northeastern as well?
Are you even reading my posts, or do you just like to write without thinking?

If anyone has a systematic problem with the logic, then please address it in an intelligible way.

Not one of you who has a serious problem with the categorizations has proposed a reason for making a change, let alone a reasonable system for categorizing cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2009, 01:26 PM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,455,793 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
At least I don't post idiotic things like Houston being Northeastern, which someone still hasn't explained.
Talk about reading what people post. Did I write that? No. With I wrote was "East Coast influences," using the same criteria and word order/choice you did in your original post. Yet I have to explain my categorizations, but you don't. Interesting. Nor did I suggest that all blacks are southern regardless of where they are born. Again, I used the same criteria as laid out in your original post. I've read some of your subsequent posts, and I don't think I really get what you're trying to accomplish here. You choose a city based on its Italian population, then turn around and say that's not why you chose it. Maybe Cleveland has a large Italian population today, but Chicago had a larger population in the past. Isn't historical influence just as important, if not more so? Even if that population is no longer there in as great numbers, the influence could still be felt. One of the problems here is you don't define your terms. You use hazy terms like "influences" and expect it to mean something, but when it doesn't add up to what you know, I guess it becomes meaningless to you. I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,237 posts, read 6,567,907 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Yet I have to explain my categorizations, but you don't.
First of all, I'm not even referring to you in this post. Secondly, explaining why you dissent is part of the discussion on this thread. Simply saying: your wrong Houston has East Coast, Midwest, Southwestern, etc. influences without any explanation is absurd since most us can agree on the general categorizations, but most of us cannot see how Houston has significant East Coast influences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Interesting. Nor did I suggest that all blacks are southern regardless of where they are born. Again, I used the same criteria as laid out in your original post.
Well actually, when I disagreed that blacks are a reason for categorizing a city as southern, someone suggested that my argument with Italians was along the same logic. Thus, I was arguing that demographics alone weren't sufficient for labeling something "southern" or "northeastern." But, I did miss your point, and for that I'm sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I've read some of your subsequent posts, and I don't think I really get what you're trying to accomplish here. You choose a city based on its Italian population, then turn around and say that's not why you chose it.
No I did not. I'm looking at what is classically defined as the Northeast (state borders) and saying that Italians are unusually high in this area and unusually low in every other area; therefore, this continuous area of demographic trend is enough to describe a general characteristic of the area. The term general is used because areas like New Orleans have about 9%. Additionally, as I said before, it is my opinion that one similarity to the Northeast does not constitute categorizing something as Northeastern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Maybe Cleveland has a large Italian population today, but Chicago had a larger population in the past. Isn't historical influence just as important, if not more so? Even if that population is no longer there in as great numbers, the influence could still be felt.
Chicago never had the percentage that Northeast has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
One of the problems here is you don't define your terms. You use hazy terms like "influences" and expect it to mean something, but when it doesn't add up to what you know, I guess it becomes meaningless to you. I don't get it.
I'm not writing a novel here. I'm not going to explain all the influences that a go into every particular city. That will come out in discussion...and if you have a problem with it we can discuss it. So please give me your reasons for dissenting and we can draw our own conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 02:19 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,620,923 times
Reputation: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Are you even reading my posts, or do you just like to write without thinking?

If anyone has a systematic problem with the logic, then please address it in an intelligible way.

Not one of you who has a serious problem with the categorizations has proposed a reason for making a change, let alone a reasonable system for categorizing cities.
OK. No need to be an insufferable a-hole. I didn't see where you were coming from earlier. Some of your posts are quite wordy and nuanced. I don't have any disagreement with the earlier categorizations. I was just reacting to that one post about Italians=Northeast. Now I see where you're coming from.

Quote:
Chicago never had the percentage that Northeast has.
Actually it has. But we just agreed that this is a minor point so why debate it even further?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 04:18 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,197,500 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
every city in the country has a lot of blacks
Ever been to a city in the Northwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,237 posts, read 6,567,907 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Ever been to a city in the Northwest?
Seattle, which is 10%
LA is about 11%

I figure if blacks can be so influential in LA, maybe they could be in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 05:30 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,908,197 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Thanks for telling me about the city I was born and live in and backing your statement up with proof to dispel me of my erroneous notions.

Any Southwestern influence is slight. Gulf Coast and other influences are much more prevalent.
Tell me one way in which Houston is Midwestern. I'd like to hear about it. Tell me how it is so much like Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 05:37 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,908,197 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
See as an example...

Transplanted LV Residents...Where did you come from?

Midwest is actually a bit of a misnomer as it actually an east half thing but perhaps best epitomized as midwestern.

You can actually see it at things like zoning meetings where the Californians run square into the midwestern views on property rights and such. But it strongly underlies the culture. The Libertarian Nevadan is in there as well but gets buried under the deluge of Californians and midwest/south/easterners.

Polyregional might be the term.

And all this fails to mention the Mexicans which are actually the largest single cultural group.
East half? You need to look up the definition of the Midwest: it's North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan: and yes I have to been to Vegas, in no way is it even remotely Midwestern. Las Vegas is nowhere remotely near this area. Las Vegas, while very unique, is Southwestern and has much more in common with Southern California and Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,691,036 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Seattle, which is 10%
LA is about 11%

I figure if blacks can be so influential in LA, maybe they could be in Seattle.
Look at the surrounding area of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,237 posts, read 6,567,907 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Look at the surrounding area of LA.
And see what? LA county is 11% black...what am I supposed to be seeing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top