U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:40 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,053,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Yep, that's usually them. It is rather humorous when someone from DC or Miami insists that Pittsburgh is Midwestern. Not that I know everything about the city; but usually they say something like the culture is Midwestern, and then never explain what culture means or in what way our culture is Midwestern.

I agree, I think in most cases natives know best (though not always).
Just curious: what are some examples where the natives DON'T know best what they are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 02:35 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,567,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Just curious: what are some examples where the natives DON'T know best what they are?
There are no general examples because it is not a trend, but individuals' misconceptions. Any type of ignorance about their city can lead to misconceptions, because a city is not simply a group of people, but structure with a history, businesses, economic ties, etc. Thus, such examples must come from individuals themselves.
Additionally, like I previously implied: I never said they don't know who they are. I did say: some don't know what their city is. The individuals in a city don't = the city, but are a piece within it.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,325,746 times
good list!

Although Ive simply never felt a touch of Southern Influence in Baltimore, ever

Id Say DC is a Mid-Atlantic City with very small hints of Southern Influence

Old 01-10-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
good list!
Thanks.

Quote:
Although Ive simply never felt a touch of Southern Influence in Baltimore, ever

Id Say DC is a Mid-Atlantic City with very small hints of Southern Influence
Not to be offensive, but I think that so many years below the Mason-Dixon line should count for something due to the historical southerness of both Baltimore and DC. Also, the demographics are a little different and I've even heard some southern twang in B-More. Though, I don't know as much as you on Balto or DC, so I could very well be wrong.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Thanks.

Not to be offensive, but I think that so many years below the Mason-Dixon line should count for something due to the historical southerness of both Baltimore and DC. Also, the demographics are a little different and I've even heard some southern twang in B-More. Though, I don't know as much as you on Balto or DC, so I could very well be wrong.
not offensive its just i can't feel the 'southernness' ever. I may be able to understand if someone feels DC has some 'southernness'. But Baltimore? Ive never heard this twang though. Unless you're talking about the Baltimore accent, which is not southern. But yea it was under the m/d line, but two things one, it existed way before that line. and two, do you think Cumberland is southern or Frostburg, etc or any western Maryland town (since they're closer to you is why im mentioning w md and they are under the m/d line)? I just really need someone to explain where the southernness lies because i would really like to see it. it would be interesting.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:22 PM

542 posts, read 1,288,936 times
It's there, just not as blatantly obvious as some areas. Do some research and learn about the first 300 years or so of its history.

Never understood why most Marylanders are so ashamed of their Southern roots.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
not offensive its just i can't feel the 'southernness' ever. I may be able to understand if someone feels DC has some 'southernness'. But Baltimore? Ive never heard this twang though. Unless you're talking about the Baltimore accent, which is not southern. But yea it was under the m/d line, but two things one, it existed way before that line. and two, do you think Cumberland is southern or Frostburg, etc or any western Maryland town (since they're closer to you is why im mentioning w md and they are under the m/d line)? I just really need someone to explain where the southernness lies because i would really like to see it. it would be interesting.
Your right, I don't know where this line is. But, I suspect it's much more of a continuum than a solid line.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,197,225 times
Quote:

I have to disagree about the Baltimore accent, which isn't all that different from the Richmond accent, which I used to have, and which my entire family still has. I noticed it the first time I saw a John Waters movie. Finally, people onscreen that talked like me!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
Billiam. I'm not originally from this area so maybe you should know this question better. Is the Salisbury area southern in feel. Never been there before.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Billiam. I'm not originally from this area so maybe you should know this question better. Is the Salisbury area southern in feel. Never been there before.
Basically the entire eastern Shore has a southern feel, so i would say yes. Although Salisbury is a college town (i think, im not really an expert on Salisbury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I have to disagree about the Baltimore accent, which isn't all that different from the Richmond accent, which I used to have, and which my entire family still has. I noticed it the first time I saw a John Waters movie. Finally, people onscreen that talked like me!
Baltimorese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post

Never understood why most Marylanders are so ashamed of their Southern roots.
Excuse you. That's all i will say, you don't even deserve half of what i just said to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or