Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

I'd have to say Lexington KY's is almost a joke

There are 3 counties (Rockcastle, Bath, & Menifee) in it which are very rural, slow growing, and have very little commuting ties to Lexington.

By contrasts Garrard County, which has the highest percent of residents that commute to Lexington in the state, is NOT included - it's also one of the state's fasting growing counties by percent. It is not included in ANY CSA, MSA, or Micropolitian Area.

I think Danville and Harrodsburg should be included as well. That would lead to the follow comparison my my Lex CSA vs the official one

Official one: 658,143 residents as of 2007, grew by 56,000 since 2000. Mine: 715,918 residents as of 2007, grew by 61,000 since 2000.

What other cities have under or over extended CSAs, or ones that are just plain confusing??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Boston's extends to Manitoba, or so it seems.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Censusdata, do you have commuting stats on the counties included in Lexington's metro?

Old 01-03-2009, 12:37 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Little Rock's CSA includes Pine Bluff, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Little Rock's CSA includes Pine Bluff, which makes no sense whatsoever.
A lot of people who work in Pine Bluff live in Little Rock and commute. CSA is not determined based on development patterns, but based on commuter patterns. Pine Bluff is not included in Little Rock's MSA.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:55 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Censusdata, do you have commuting stats on the counties included in Lexington's metro?
There are lots of commuting stats on the Kentucky State Data Center page, but most of it is in PDF and is hard to link to. They are linked in bunches as well.

Kentucky State Data Center (http://ksdc.louisville.edu/sdc/commute/commute.htm - broken link)

I would say Cincinnati's and Louisville's CSA's are very good and I wouldn't add or remove any counties

Old 01-03-2009, 07:37 PM

505 posts, read 1,385,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I always thought that Boston's made sense. Its large but I really do believe that the commuting numbers merit it.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:14 AM

263 posts, read 798,456 times
I'm from Los Angeles, and I've always found the extension of new york's CSA to be completely and politically exaggerated. It's all about traffic patterns, not about who actually resides in a particular city. It's a game that statisticians play when it's raining outside and they've got nothing better to do. Just so they can state that Pennsylvania is a suburb of new york city. Silly. new york is not that big, or influential, or all that important- but they want you to believe that. Like a comic book that city is, as well as the people in it. Can't take it, or the whole 'CSA' principle seriously. Where's our money, new york? ...failures...

Old 01-04-2009, 03:10 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
People commute to Boston from even the most extreme parts of that metro area. In fact, there are places not included in the Boston metro (parts of Southern Maine and and Vermont) that have a good number of commuters. I'd say Boston's makes a lot of sense. Good public transit and extensive highways make it so.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Default How would you define a CSA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
People commute to Boston from even the most extreme parts of that metro area. In fact, there are places not included in the Boston metro (parts of Southern Maine and and Vermont) that have a good number of commuters. I'd say Boston's makes a lot of sense. Good public transit and extensive highways make it so.

I'd be interested in numbers on commuters from southern Vermont. I'd guess there might be a few, in fact probably are a few, from southeasternmost VT, but that's a long commute. I'm guessing there aren't a whole lot of commuters to the core of the Boston MSA from southeastern VT, and that they become few and far between from anywhere else in that state. I don't really know, though, so I'd be interested in any concrete numbers anyone might have.

Part of the question of how extended a CSA should be involves pinning down the basic idea of just what a CSA is. The Census Bureau's website discusses the use of commuting statistics to identify close economic and social ties between MSA's, but that does not really define the idea of a CSA specifically, the way an MSA can be roughly, but reasonably accurately, defined as a city and its commuter suburbs.

Using Boston as an example, I live in the Boston MSA, and would agree with the notion that most of the territory within the CSA where Boston is the largest city gives me a sense of being part of an extended local region with some degree of interconnectedness, even if at a level less intense than that of an MSA. I'm not so sure that Concord or Laconia in NH give me the sense of being quite part of the extended local region, but the rest of it works. Providence and Worcester have commuter rail connection to Boston. A couple of indoor arenas in Worcester are venues for concerts attended by people from the Boston area, and seem to be generally viewed as sites for Boston's local rock/pop concert scene. The airports in Providence and Manchester are both secondary airports serving the Boston area--the kinds of airports that have flights with bargain fares. All of this adds up to giving me a sense that these places have a close association with Boston, even though they are part of an extended local area, not exactly true suburbs. Still, that is a very subjective feeling, and I can't quite pin down precise criteria for identifying the appropriate boundaries of a CSA. Any ideas?

Last edited by ogre; 01-04-2009 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.