U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:34 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,158,479 times

Advertisements

We disagree about Atlanta vs. L.A., mission, but I share your hatred of the OC. What pretentious crap. I no longer lived in California when I started hearing people from around the country referring to "the OC". I never heard it referred to as that growing up there. Cali is also dumb, but not quite as obnoxious. L.A. is fine. "Los Angeles" is a lot of syllables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Well one way to spot a tourist is to hear them say "Cali." Nobody in California EVER calls it that. It sounds too "cute" for me. It doesn't terribly bug me though, it just isn't something locals say and sounds so weird to us.

Also, I HATE "The OC" for Orange County. Nobody on planet earth called it that before all those ridiculous shows. Now people have this image of plastic women with bleached blond hair and BMW's when they think of this place. People don't say "The" OC here, but OC has caught on just like L.A. is popular for Los Angeles.

Tourist way: I am so excited to visit the beach in THE OC. (just translate it: The Orange County, sound dumb)
Local way: I am excited to visit the beach in OC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 06:53 PM

463 posts, read 1,368,657 times
I don't mind when people say "Philly". I don't mind "NYC" very much. I'm sometimes annoyed by "Jersey", sometimes not, depending on the context. However, for some reason I hate when people say "Cali", I don't know why.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:44 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,674,652 times
Oddly enough, neither Denver nor Colorado have nicknames that are commonly used. Denver is called "The Queen City", "The Mile High City", a "cowtown", etc, but no one says "I'm going to the cowtown", etc.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:02 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,409,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oddly enough, neither Denver nor Colorado have nicknames that are commonly used. Denver is called "The Queen City", "The Mile High City", a "cowtown", etc, but no one says "I'm going to the cowtown", etc.
I always say DenCO

Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 PM

2,387 posts, read 7,771,254 times
I am a San Francisco native, and "Frisco" was always considered uncool. Cali sounds like something a person on a fake reality show or rap lyric would say.

Any common two letter abbreviation of a city or state is usually fine in written text. Some cities or metros have acronyms like NOLA, NOVA, KCMO, but I would guess that some of these are used just in written text and some are used in speaking also.

Boston gets called "beantown", don't know if they like that or not. "Chi-town" sounds OK for Chicago, kind of goes along with the song Chicago (my kind of town).

My favorite abbreviation for a city is MoTown, obviously Detroit. It's short, simple and for most of the 20th century so appropriate as the epicenter of automobiles. MoTown is feeling the pain these days, no doubt.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:52 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,409,722 times
No one says Beantown.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:57 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,463,621 times
Our mayor here is trying to get people on with calling Albuquerque "The Q" and placing stuff around the city with "The Q" on it. The locals dont like it and its just stupid,

Albuquerque has always been known as "The Duke City" or "Burque" pronounced in Spanish.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:58 PM

550 posts, read 1,974,044 times
Salt Lake Shi**y (self-censorship involved) never really appealed to me.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:17 PM

463 posts, read 1,368,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've always thought of Charlotte when I hear "The Queen City".

Old 01-05-2009, 08:18 AM

8,031 posts, read 16,083,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
No one says Beantown.
Yeah, in fact it's so uncommon out here that I forgot to mention it in my first post.

I would probably equate it to tourists using the "O.C" in California... I've only ever heard outsiders use "beantown."

Actually, I did know an annoying girl in high school who used to say, "I'm going to party in the Bean" in reference to Boston. She never did say, "Beantown" though so I'll chalk it up to the fact that she was an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.