Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:50 AM

303 posts, read 752,571 times

Advertisements

i hate when people call my city Jersey City the 6th borough. i hate it wit ha passion i never grew up in NYC. i grew up in Jersey it has its own distinction from NY. im tired that Jersey is always in the shadow od NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:53 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,062 times
stuff like the windy city and the big apple are so cheesy...its fine for writing to make it sound exciting but never say i want to live in "the big apple"
i rarely/if ever here people call it nyc...i just write it cause im lazy
no one where im from says cali/MIA/hotlanta
but i think people say Jersey
and everyone calls it LA

Old 01-14-2009, 04:07 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
This may be a little off target but for years Atlanta's transit system was simply called MARTA by Atlantans. Now the big influx of newcomers into the area have decided they will call it the MARTA. Insisting on adding the . For some reason this really irks me.

But then I realize it actually does kinda make sense to add THE to it considering it stands for (Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority). So I guess I can accept it but it still kinda bothers me that it's mostly people from far outside Atlanta that have come alone and made this change. .

Old 01-15-2009, 03:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy404 View Post
People from California, does it bother you when people call it "Cali" in place of California or "L-A" in place of Los Angeles. How about San Fran?
I get a little annoyed nowadays when I hear "Cali," but "San Fran" drives me crazy! No one from here calls it that! I don't know why that seems to be the East Coast favorite to call it. San Francisco or SF. That's it. If you're local, then its also "The City." And "Frisco" is fine if you're from here and you're at least somewhat hood, but its more commonly used by outsiders who think they're in the know or something. I have heard more people from San Jose use "Frisco" than I ever have heard SF residents. Never really was a fan of "the 'Sco" either. That one always sounded kinda lame to me.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I get a little annoyed nowadays when I hear "Cali," but "San Fran" drives me crazy! No one from here calls it that! I don't know why that seems to be the East Coast favorite to call it. San Francisco or SF. That's it. If you're local, then its also "The City." And "Frisco" is fine if you're from here and you're at least somewhat hood, but its more commonly used by outsiders who think they're in the know or something. I have heard more people from San Jose use "Frisco" than I ever have heard SF residents. Never really was a fan of "the 'Sco" either. That one always sounded kinda lame to me.

Speaking of nicknames for San Francisco, how about good old Michael Savage (i.e., Savage Nation) who calls San Francisco "San Fransicko" or sometimes "San Franpsycho"? Despite his badmouthing of the city, he happens to live there (transplanted New Yorker) and broadcasts his usually obnoxious, mean-spirited rhetoric from Embarcadero Center. Despite his stated hatred of liberals and the Bay Area generally, he remains there. Hmm..maybe the place isn't so bad after all.....

Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
No, people who pretend to be in the know are the jerks who bite your head off with "DID YOU JUST SAY 'FRISCO' OMG NOBODY SAYS THAT!!!"

Old 01-23-2009, 10:51 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
How about the way everyone calls Pennsylvania P.A.? Locals do, tourists do, it is very common.

How many other states do that? Immagine people saying "I'm from F.L.", or I'm from T.N.

Kinda funny, and I don't understand why we do this in Pennsylvania.

Doesn't really bother me though.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:30 AM

350 posts, read 1,117,620 times
I was scolded years ago by my native San Franciscan aunt that we never say "frisco", it's San Francisco or The City. It's always been a pet peeve of mine when people say "goin to Frisco this weekend". Ugh. Don't like Cali either. Fresnans are very particiular about what you call them. An Auto industry (I think), billboard called us "Fresnoids" and they got so many complaints they had to change the billboards.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Speaking of nicknames for San Francisco, how about good old Michael Savage (i.e., Savage Nation) who calls San Francisco "San Fransicko" or sometimes "San Franpsycho"? Despite his badmouthing of the city, he happens to live there (transplanted New Yorker) and broadcasts his usually obnoxious, mean-spirited rhetoric from Embarcadero Center. Despite his stated hatred of liberals and the Bay Area generally, he remains there. Hmm..maybe the place isn't so bad after all.....
Savage is a jerk, and those names don't really bother me, especially coming from him. But what an absolute moron he is, or anyone like him for that matter, for choosing to live in an area he has nothing but negative criticism for. He's either lying or retarded. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
No, people who pretend to be in the know are the jerks who bite your head off with "DID YOU JUST SAY 'FRISCO' OMG NOBODY SAYS THAT!!!"
That's very true too.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
That's very true too.
It's such a contentious issue that I think most people just stay away from it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.