U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:07 PM

64 posts, read 66,606 times

Advertisements

People from California, does it bother you when people call it "Cali" in place of California or "L-A" in place of Los Angeles. How about San Fran?

People from New Jersey does it make you mad when people call your state "Jersey" when they've never been there?

Las Vegans does it bother you when people refer to your city as "Vegas" or "Sin City"?

New Yorkers how do you feel when people call New York "N-Y-C" or "The big apple"?

I personally don't like when people from outside the metro area that have never stepped foot in the city refer to Atlanta as "The A-T-L" or "Hotlanta."

What is your take on all of this? Is it disrespectful and annoying or is just common langauge and how we as Americans abbreviate places' names?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 04:10 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,135,929 times
i dont care when ppl call it jersey. i don't even think of it since i said it that way all my life practically.

What kinda annoys me is when people say "O your from Brick City" actin like they know what it's all about when they have know clue why it even has that nick name.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:12 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,144,011 times
The nickname "the OC" bugs me because NO ONE used it when I was growing up in California.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:18 PM

8,001 posts, read 16,052,716 times
Massachusett's nickmame is the "Bay State." ever since gay marriage has been legalized, I've heard people call it the "Gay State" which I find funny, but not even remotely offensive.

I HATE "Taxachusetts" as no one else here uses it and I think it just sounds dumb.

I get a kick out of the labeling of people in MA as "M*******s." Most people from MA don't take it seriously, but I've had people in other states seriously use it as an insult. I just wonder if that's really the best they can do?

Old 01-04-2009, 04:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
I don't mind when people call NY "the big apple." There's really no reason why I should be annoyed by that. It's been called that for a long time by all sorts of people.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:04 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,520,596 times
^^And I have no problem hearing N-Y-C. It's kind of lazy to do that, but hey, those are the city's initials!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:05 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,047,165 times
Even though I want to get out of Massachusetts, I take offense when people that have never lived here stereotype us or insult us. Unless, of course, I agree with them. But it seems like when people insult something about Massachusetts, it happens to be one of the few things I like about Massachusetts.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:05 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,404,592 times
Please don't misspell Philly 'Phili' or 'Philli'. Ugh. Also don't say Penna. No one says that.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:13 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,564,734 times
I like all of our nicknames : Miltown, Brew City, Cream City, The ILL-MIL, Milrockee or Milrock, The City of Festivals, MKE, M'waukee.

I actually prefer it!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:21 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,287,210 times
Well one way to spot a tourist is to hear them say "Cali." Nobody in California EVER calls it that. It sounds too "cute" for me. It doesn't terribly bug me though, it just isn't something locals say and sounds so weird to us.

Also, I HATE "The OC" for Orange County. Nobody on planet earth called it that before all those ridiculous shows. Now people have this image of plastic women with bleached blond hair and BMW's when they think of this place. People don't say "The" OC here, but OC has caught on just like L.A. is popular for Los Angeles.

Tourist way: I am so excited to visit the beach in THE OC. (just translate it: The Orange County, sound dumb)
Local way: I am excited to visit the beach in OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.