Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:20 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,187 times

Advertisements

Travis County (Austin) voted against prop. 2 by a decent margin in 2005.
Los Angeles County voted for prop. 8 three years later.
Hmmm. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 02:58 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
And what is this supposed to mean?
It means even the minorities are conservative (which if you haven't noticed minorities tend to be more liberal)
But the African American community in Fort Worth for example, would more religious then those in Philly. There differences, and while they may be registered democrat individual there is no doubt in my mind they are very conservative in some aspects. The Southern African Americans in general are more conservative. I have a pretty liberal African American friend who was telling me how conservative his grandfather was and how he did not like barrack, and so forth. I know his grandfather didn't vote for McCain but who he voted for or if he voted at all I forget.
The Asian community would be another example, the Asian community of Dallas Fort Worth tends to be much more conservative then the rest. This is due to Several reasons, Dallas Fort Worth had a huge South Asian, Korean, and Vietnamese population with large amounts of Chinese, Laotians, Khmers, and filipinos as well.
The South Asians tend to vote more conservative in the area because they are business owners in general.
The Vietnamese, Laotians, and Khmers are mostly here due to the Fall of Indochina, and because they are generally anti-communist (as they did flee from them) they hold loyal to the strongly anti communist republicans.
The Koreans in Dallas Fort Worth are also amongst the most religious Asians I've seen, there have tons of churches all over the metropolitan area. Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, Presbyterian, you name it...They are very church orientated of what I understand as a group. The Chinese and filipino also tend to be somewhat religious, as they're various Chinese churches as well. While the Filipinos tend to integrate into normal churches although they're a few.
The Hispanics are similar to the African Americans. Although they are strongly catholic. They like the African Americans tend to be very socially conservative. Keep in mind there they're a few wealthy Hispanics as well. My (mexican)Mother still works for example, and she had a patient who was mexican. Her patient isn't that fluent in english, so they talked in spanish. And to her suprise her patient, just like herself, wanted McCain to win.
So The Hispanic community is more of a toss up in the whole nation together politically, but you get the idea that even the minorities in this area are more conservative.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:26 PM

181 posts, read 849,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
Travis County (Austin) voted against prop. 2 by a decent margin in 2005.
Los Angeles County voted for prop. 8 three years later.
Hmmm. . .
good one

A lot of the "liberalness" of SoCal is hispanics - very socially conservative!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
All the talk about TX becoming more like CA has gotten me thinking....

EP, Austin, Houston, Dallas, SA are all more liberal than SD, and L.A. is pretty liberal (about like Austin), but soCal is generally "conservative" especially by California standards, and compared to Bay Area.

Inland Empire is conservative, about like the areas in the Dallas metro outside of Dallas proper (Dallas proper is actually more liberal than L.A., with about 75% going for Kerry in '04). The OC is conservative too.

So which area is more liberal? The combined TX cities or all of SoCal?
This is a retread thread that I believe the OP posted several months ago under a different name & is so absurd. Evidently you feel some deep down desire to proclaim that Texas is more liberal than California [which is a total joke

Every county in California voted for Obama except Orange county [where it was close] and inland farm counties in the Central Valley. California voted for Obama by 24 points [the highest of any state]. Los Angeles county has been a Democratic stronghold for decades [ie the 15-seat city council is one Republican\ one Green & 13 Democrats - how's that compared to Houston or Dallas?].

Again, I am puzzled that you continue to post incorrect information about a subject that is laughable

Old 01-07-2009, 05:14 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post

Every county in California voted for Obama except Orange county [where it was close] and inland farm counties in the Central Valley. California voted for Obama by 24 points [the highest of any state].
That's not exactly true. Many mountain areas (such as my county) also voted for McCain. Like most States, Obama won the urban areas and lost the rural ones (except for Orange County). California is a liberal state overall, but there are deeply conservative areas. California is less about partisan politics and more about individual issues (we elected Reagan as governor). Republicans can still win in the State, provided that they can toe the line enough to satisfy the die-hard liberals (and speak in a literate manner).

Old 01-07-2009, 05:17 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Actually yes, most major cities (city proper) are more liberal then southern California as a whole (not excluding any city.
In the 2004 election only Los Angeles County and some 2 other smaller county went Democrat, and while all the Texas counties (minus El Paso and Austin) went Republican like OC and San Diego(meaning all but 3 counties went republican) . The Big liberal stronghold in California is the Bay Area, not Southern California which would tend to be more of a battle ground.
El Paso, Austin, and Dallas are very liberal cities (city proper), and Houston and San Antonio to a lesser degree as well. Fort Worth remains pretty conservatives, even regarding minorities.
Are you sure about that? Not what this shows: President Map - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

Move the little handle on the left side to '04, then click on Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
It means even the minorities are conservative (which if you haven't noticed minorities tend to be more liberal)
But the African American community in Fort Worth for example, would more religious then those in Philly. There differences, and while they may be registered democrat individual there is no doubt in my mind they are very conservative in some aspects. The Southern African Americans in general are more conservative. I have a pretty liberal African American friend who was telling me how conservative his grandfather was and how he did not like barrack, and so forth. I know his grandfather didn't vote for McCain but who he voted for or if he voted at all I forget.
The Asian community would be another example, the Asian community of Dallas Fort Worth tends to be much more conservative then the rest. This is due to Several reasons, Dallas Fort Worth had a huge South Asian, Korean, and Vietnamese population with large amounts of Chinese, Laotians, Khmers, and filipinos as well.
The South Asians tend to vote more conservative in the area because they are business owners in general.
The Vietnamese, Laotians, and Khmers are mostly here due to the Fall of Indochina, and because they are generally anti-communist (as they did flee from them) they hold loyal to the strongly anti communist republicans.
The Koreans in Dallas Fort Worth are also amongst the most religious Asians I've seen, there have tons of churches all over the metropolitan area. Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, Presbyterian, you name it...They are very church orientated of what I understand as a group. The Chinese and filipino also tend to be somewhat religious, as they're various Chinese churches as well. While the Filipinos tend to integrate into normal churches although they're a few.
The Hispanics are similar to the African Americans. Although they are strongly catholic. They like the African Americans tend to be very socially conservative. Keep in mind there they're a few wealthy Hispanics as well. My (mexican)Mother still works for example, and she had a patient who was mexican. Her patient isn't that fluent in english, so they talked in spanish. And to her suprise her patient, just like herself, wanted McCain to win.
So The Hispanic community is more of a toss up in the whole nation together politically, but you get the idea that even the minorities in this area are more conservative.
Interesting. The larger Asian community in Houston tend to vote for liberal than conservative. I guess we got different Asians . I think in general, the Houston area is more liberal than the DFW area, but Austin is the most liberal major Texas city. Harris County was able to go Blue in 2008, despite the amount of suburbs in it (basically place Collin County in Harris County, and you have the West Harris County). Fort Bend County almost went Obama, and I believe he only lost it by 1%.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:19 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
That's not exactly true. Many mountain areas (such as my county) also voted for McCain. Like most States, Obama won the urban areas and lost the rural ones (except for Orange County). California is a liberal state overall, but there are deeply conservative areas. California is less about partisan politics and more about individual issues (we elected Reagan as governor). Republicans can still win in the State, provided that they can toe the line enough to satisfy the die-hard liberals (and speak in a literate manner).
Stop it, you are ruining happ's fantasy

Old 01-07-2009, 06:44 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Another dilusional thread by radiodude! SoCal is definitely more liberal than Texas cities. You gotta realize that all of the big cities in Texas, along with all the king's horses and all the king's men, couldn't make Texas go blue this past election. I think it will become a blue state within 20 years as its cities grow and its population becomes more diverse, but it sure isn't that liberal now--despite the liberal urban cores.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:55 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
I think alot of people are mistakenly using "liberal" and "democrat" as the same thing. Southern Cal (mostly LA county) is very democrat, but not neccesarily a overly liberal place. many minorities will vote democrat because of the social services. In my experiences, Texas larger cities are a little more liberal than S Cal cities. I know that will make some people upset, but it is honestly true. The amount of racism that occurs out there is far worse than any large Texas city. Just because the media tries to make it out to be some kind of liberal mecca and texas out to be racist does not make it true.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:51 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I think alot of people are mistakenly using "liberal" and "democrat" as the same thing. Southern Cal (mostly LA county) is very democrat, but not neccesarily a overly liberal place. many minorities will vote democrat because of the social services. In my experiences, Texas larger cities are a little more liberal than S Cal cities. I know that will make some people upset, but it is honestly true. The amount of racism that occurs out there is far worse than any large Texas city. Just because the media tries to make it out to be some kind of liberal mecca and texas out to be racist does not make it true.
I also don't think that racial tolerance is necessarily indicative of being liberal or conservative. For example, I think the racial climate in very red Plano, TX is a lot more favorable than the racial climate in very blue Boston. I definitely think that the cities themselves are liberal in TX, but Southern liberals are a little more moderate than West Coast liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.