U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2009, 10:54 AM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,131 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Reputation: 6423

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Let me put it this way.....

Illinois is one of the most redneck-filled states. We can agree on that. It is objective fact. Nothing against illinois! Chicago is great. But anyone who's spent any time whatsover in Illinois (not just southern!) knows it's filled with...er...low-class whites. I'm talking nascar-watching, bush-voting types, with bad grammar and hick accents.

Now - does anyone talk about that? Nope. The whole image is Chicago.

But people forget about Dallas/Houston/Austin/SA/EP when they talk about TX. It's like they focus all on certain areas.
You have a point about Texas - perhaps because there are so many big cities people do not concentrate on any single one.

I am not from Illinois so I do not understand why you think that state's rural and small town population is so much more "rednecked-filled" than any other. Maybe you have first hand experience? Your statement, however, about rednecks (ie working class people) is pretty off the wall and rather unfair.

One should respect other people's opinions even if you do not agree with it. Just because you do not like Nascar, does not mean other people who do all have "bad grammar and hick accents"!

 
Old 01-05-2009, 11:42 AM
 
181 posts, read 789,522 times
Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I'm not from Illinois, but for you to state that "Illinois is one of the most redneck-filled states" as "objective fact" is going too far. "Objective fact" means that this is not your opinion, but has been proven to be the case. Really - and can you show me where this has been proven to be the case?
One shouldn't really make statements as fact, that are only opinions and nothing more. I've done a fair amount of traveling, and I think it's safe to say that every state has rednecks. I'm sure some states have more rednecks than others, but to single out Illinois only shows your bias.
I was being facetious, just to make a point. Sorry!

And I singled out IL because that was the person I was responding to. I like IL!
 
Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 AM
 
181 posts, read 789,522 times
Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You have a point about Texas - perhaps because there are so many big cities people do not concentrate on any single one.

I am not from Illinois so I do not understand why you think that state's rural and small town population is so much more "rednecked-filled" than any other. Maybe you have first hand experience? Your statement, however, about rednecks (ie working class people) is pretty off the wall and rather unfair.

One should respect other people's opinions even if you do not agree with it. Just because you do not like Nascar, does not mean other people who do all have "bad grammar and hick accents"!
Sorry, wasn't trying to denigrate lifestyles, just trying to show that certain perceptions stick to some states and not others, but unfairly so.
 
Old 01-05-2009, 11:46 AM
 
181 posts, read 789,522 times
Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
The motives behind the lack of out-migration are irrelevant in this context.
I disagree, because provinciality is an attitude, not a function of how many of a state's residents have moved out of state. If a state has a really good economy, naturally people won't tend to move out, but people in TX I find have a really good understanding of the rest of the country, whereas people from the Northeast (CA isn't so bad in this regard) have no conception of anywhere else except what they see on TV.

Like, I'm sure America has less outmigration than Afghanistan (for good reason), but surely people from America are less provincial than Afghans. TX is like America - it's so culturally distinct (most people from outside TX don't realize this) and so good economically people tend to stay, but that doesn't mean we don't recognize there are other important areas. Northeastern people on the other hand tend to think they're the center of the universe. Ironically, a lot of these people are flooding TX to escape hard economic times up there!
 
Old 01-05-2009, 11:51 AM
 
1,992 posts, read 6,033,969 times
Reputation: 805
On the other hand, Texans are (in)famously known to have a very, very high opinion of their state, arguably near-delusional in many cases. You can't pretend like that little albatross doesn't exist.
 
Old 01-05-2009, 11:55 AM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,451,166 times
Reputation: 1942
Don't feed the troll, people. I mean, come on. He just joined yesterday and comes out guns blazin' with all these Texas posts? Smells mighty suspicious...
 
Old 01-05-2009, 01:07 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,131 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Sorry, wasn't trying to denigrate lifestyles, just trying to show that certain perceptions stick to some states and not others, but unfairly so.
Ok I get you.
 
Old 01-05-2009, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,671,383 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Don't feed the troll, people. I mean, come on. He just joined yesterday and comes out guns blazin' with all these Texas posts? Smells mighty suspicious...
Everyone that says something good or positive about Texas you think they're a troll.
 
Old 01-05-2009, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Alpharetta, GA (North Atlanta Metro)
64 posts, read 66,606 times
Reputation: 37
I think George W. Bush plays a large part in why people dislike Texas without giving it a fair chance. In many peoples' minds the collapse of the economy, war on Iraq, lack of goverment response to Hurricane Katrina, rise in gas prices, all are directly linked to George Bush. George Bush has something like a 20% approval rating. Though he was born in CT he advertises the fact that he is a "Texan" and speaks with a noticable accent so the combination of many americans disliking him and him "being from" Texas results in people disliking Texas as well.
 
Old 01-05-2009, 01:34 PM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,451,166 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Everyone that says something good or positive about Texas you think they're a troll.
Yeah, okay. I think he's a troll based on the fact that he just joined yesterday and every post so far has been about Texas. He's just here to stir the pot. That's what trolls do. If it looks like a duck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top