U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:04 AM

181 posts, read 789,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Of all the stereotypes, I always find this the most disturbing about New Jersey. As a state, NJ is quite safe. It's very suburban. Crime in NJ is highly concentrated in isolated pockets. For the most part, if you don't want to get shot in NJ, don't sell heroin or join a gang & everything will be alright. If you don't want to get mugged, don't walk around the ghetto late at night.

Statements like yours only solidify the fact that you don't know what you are talking about.
No you missed my point. I deliberately stated a false stereotype about NJ - I know that NJ is nice for the most part (family originally from there before TX).

But like it or not, the image a lot of people have of NJ is a crime infested industrial wasteland with no culture or beauty.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 AM

2,650 posts, read 5,161,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
No you missed my point. I deliberately stated a false stereotype about NJ - I know that NJ is nice for the most part (family originally from there before TX).

But like it or not, the image a lot of people have of NJ is a crime infested industrial wasteland with no culture or beauty.

Yes, I understand. That's why I was referencing "coldwine" & not you.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:54 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,804,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
On the other hand, Texans are (in)famously known to have a very, very high opinion of their state, arguably near-delusional in many cases. You can't pretend like that little albatross doesn't exist.
let it be known that a Texan like me is far from delusional. The things I know are great about my state are things that are in fact...great. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't so.

The only people who seem to be bothered by Texans' pride are those who aren't particularly proud of their own state...well, that's your problem.

Generally speaking, our pride in our state is a very healthy one, and hardly confrontational. a lot of us love to talk about our home, but won't resort to putting down another state unless we feel that someone has disrespected the Lone Star land.

But people from here are actually really sweet and this is in fact a very welcoming place where we encourage people from all over the world to visit or call this their home. Share in our joy.

Texans do not take themselves as seriously as you all think we do.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:07 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,771,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
let it be known that a Texan like me is far from delusional. The things I know are great about my state are things that are in fact...great. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't so.

The only people who seem to be bothered by Texans' pride are those who aren't particularly proud of their own state...well, that's your problem.

Generally speaking, our pride in our state is a very healthy one, and hardly confrontational. a lot of us love to talk about our home, but won't resort to putting down another state unless we feel that someone has disrespected the Lone Star land.

But people from here are actually really sweet and this is in fact a very welcoming place where we encourage people from all over the world to visit or call this their home. Share in our joy.

Texans do not take themselves as seriously as you all think we do.
I think this is good place for me to cut and paste a post of mine from a long time ago regarding Texans and their pride:
=====================

i do know EVERYONE isn't like this. see, here's the thing, and it's probably something a native texan isn't even aware of. it's not just the people. you see the "texas, it's a whole 'nuther country" mentality - EVERYWHERE. Billboards, businesses, TV! i remember calling my husband from houston or wherever and telling him "OMG - You can't drive 2 miles without something screaming TEXAS! in your face!" - businesses, "Bubba Ford - a big ford dealership for BIG Texas because you know, EVERYTHING is big in TEXAS!". Go a store with souvenirs and you'll see the theme on all over the darn place. You even have the slogan on license plates!!

I have a friend, native Texan, moved to NJ for work. She had a Texas flag hanging outside her house, and told me of an incident where a friend of her son insulted Texas to his face (stupid kid stuff) - he came home, told my friend, and she was LIVID. She explained to her son that he's NEVER to let anyone insult Texas like that, because "We're Texans!" (nevermind her son was born in NJ, lol). She went to the principal over it!! OMG! She's extreme, I know, but I seriously couldn't imagine this scene over ANY other state. BTW, she's back in Texas after 18 or so years and is happy, happy happy!

I have another friend in OH (native Texan) who has a Texas themed bathroom, LOL.

My old boss is a native Texan and I asked him about this after I returned from a business trip, and he completely understood what I was saying and he said the only thing he could think of was this started and propagated throughout time b/c Texas was once its own country. Otherwise, he's clueless, LOL.

I do think it's nice that Texans have pride in their state, I have pride in mine (and feel this state is SEVERLY misunderstood, much like some Texans feel about Texas), but no other place is as "in your face" about it.

Do you somewhat agree or am I overanalyzing? LOL

==================

Old 01-06-2009, 06:28 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,454,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I think this is good place for me to cut and paste a post of mine from a long time ago regarding Texans and their pride:
=====================

i do know EVERYONE isn't like this. see, here's the thing, and it's probably something a native texan isn't even aware of. it's not just the people. you see the "texas, it's a whole 'nuther country" mentality - EVERYWHERE. Billboards, businesses, TV! i remember calling my husband from houston or wherever and telling him "OMG - You can't drive 2 miles without something screaming TEXAS! in your face!" - businesses, "Bubba Ford - a big ford dealership for BIG Texas because you know, EVERYTHING is big in TEXAS!". Go a store with souvenirs and you'll see the theme on all over the darn place. You even have the slogan on license plates!!

I have a friend, native Texan, moved to NJ for work. She had a Texas flag hanging outside her house, and told me of an incident where a friend of her son insulted Texas to his face (stupid kid stuff) - he came home, told my friend, and she was LIVID. She explained to her son that he's NEVER to let anyone insult Texas like that, because "We're Texans!" (nevermind her son was born in NJ, lol). She went to the principal over it!! OMG! She's extreme, I know, but I seriously couldn't imagine this scene over ANY other state. BTW, she's back in Texas after 18 or so years and is happy, happy happy!

I have another friend in OH (native Texan) who has a Texas themed bathroom, LOL.

My old boss is a native Texan and I asked him about this after I returned from a business trip, and he completely understood what I was saying and he said the only thing he could think of was this started and propagated throughout time b/c Texas was once its own country. Otherwise, he's clueless, LOL.

I do think it's nice that Texans have pride in their state, I have pride in mine (and feel this state is SEVERLY misunderstood, much like some Texans feel about Texas), but no other place is as "in your face" about it.

Do you somewhat agree or am I overanalyzing? LOL

==================
It's hard to explain Texas pride to someone who isn't used to it and didn't grow up with it. The closest analogy I can come up with is that it's like we've created our own race or ethnicity called "Texan," and we're dang proud of it. We celebrate our Texas pride like some folks in the Northeast celebrate their Irish or Italian pride... we just do it all year long.

But Nairobi is right in that we really don't take it as seriously as outsiders do. It's kind of a tongue-in-cheek joke of a thing 90% of the time. Okay, maybe 85% of the time.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:40 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,771,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Of all the stereotypes, I always find this the most disturbing about New Jersey. As a state, NJ is quite safe. It's very suburban. Crime in NJ is highly concentrated in isolated pockets. For the most part, if you don't want to get shot in NJ, don't sell heroin or join a gang & everything will be alright. If you don't want to get mugged, don't walk around the ghetto late at night.

Statements like yours only solidify the fact that you don't know what you are talking about.
I agree. I posted in another thread that my county of 500K had a murder rate of........*1*. Point 2 per 100K. Practically unheard of. It is extremely easy to avoid crime here - don't go to bad parts of Newark, Paterson and Camden.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:05 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,043,147 times
To the OP. You forgot another saying.
You can ALWAYS tell a Texan. You just can't tell them MUCH!!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 AM

23,094 posts, read 35,044,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Many Texans have to justify Texas' "greatness" by downgrading other places. As an Oklahoman this gets old hearing their insults of our state when they generally don't know what they are talking about.

It's a shame that people have to downgrade other places (even Texas) because they can't appreciate anything due to their own ignorance.
Amen...Atlanta gets its' share of scorn from the Texans on here...their efforts to denigrate us are pretty comical at times. Thing is, I think that Dallas and Houston are perfectly nice cities, but many Texans have a perverse idea of where they rank on the US city 'food chain'...I mean, a thread that is titled, "When did LA and Houston become the most diverse and cosmopolitan cities?" LMAO.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:57 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Amen...Atlanta gets its' share of scorn from the Texans on here...their efforts to denigrate us are pretty comical at times. Thing is, I think that Dallas and Houston are perfectly nice cities, but many Texans have a perverse idea of where they rank on the US city 'food chain'...I mean, a thread that is titled, "When did LA and Houston become the most diverse and cosmopolitan cities?" LMAO.
You really can't label all us based off one poster.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:17 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,804,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
If my memory serves me correctly, in past posts, Atlantans/Georgians have also directed disrespectful remarks towards Texas when it wasn't even called for. It works both ways, so you can't sit there and try to make Texans out to be some big bullies when you all act the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or