U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:06 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,765,094 times

Advertisements

[quote=tahiti;6860849]I think this is good place for me to cut and paste a post of mine from a long time ago regarding Texans and their pride:
=====================

i do know EVERYONE isn't like this. see, here's the thing, and it's probably something a native texan isn't even aware of. it's not just the people. you see the "texas, it's a whole 'nuther country" mentality - EVERYWHERE. Billboards, businesses, TV! i remember calling my husband from houston or wherever and telling him "OMG - You can't drive 2 miles without something screaming TEXAS! in your face!" - businesses, "Bubba Ford - a big ford dealership for BIG Texas because you know, EVERYTHING is big in TEXAS!". Go a store with souvenirs and you'll see the theme on all over the darn place. You even have the slogan on license plates!!

I have a friend, native Texan, moved to NJ for work. She had a Texas flag hanging outside her house, and told me of an incident where a friend of her son insulted Texas to his face (stupid kid stuff) - he came home, told my friend, and she was LIVID. She explained to her son that he's NEVER to let anyone insult Texas like that, because "We're Texans!" (nevermind her son was born in NJ, lol). She went to the principal over it!! OMG! She's extreme, I know, but I seriously couldn't imagine this scene over ANY other state. BTW, she's back in Texas after 18 or so years and is happy, happy happy!

I have another friend in OH (native Texan) who has a Texas themed bathroom, LOL.

My old boss is a native Texan and I asked him about this after I returned from a business trip, and he completely understood what I was saying and he said the only thing he could think of was this started and propagated throughout time b/c Texas was once its own country. Otherwise, he's clueless, LOL.

I do think it's nice that Texans have pride in their state, I have pride in mine (and feel this state is SEVERLY misunderstood, much like some Texans feel about Texas), but no other place is as "in your face" about it.

Do you somewhat agree or am I overanalyzing? LOL

==================[/quo
Wow that was extreme. But once again NO ONE has awnsered my question, about how new yorkers, bostonians, and chicogoans, and northeners in general do the samething and it's never talked about. I've also seen New Yorkers get into a fight over there city, and someone disrespecting it. New Yorkers are in your face about N'Y'C. It's like NY is end all be all. Yet wen Texans do the same thing it's just an overexaggerated stereotype of "dumb ole texans and there redneck pride" New Yorkers always get a free pass. And Bostonians and there sports teams. It seems so biased.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:17 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,765,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Amen...Atlanta gets its' share of scorn from the Texans on here...their efforts to denigrate us are pretty comical at times. Thing is, I think that Dallas and Houston are perfectly nice cities, but many Texans have a perverse idea of where they rank on the US city 'food chain'...I mean, a thread that is titled, "When did LA and Houston become the most diverse and cosmopolitan cities?" LMAO.
Everyone does it. New Yorkers do it alot to. I've also heard Atlantians downgrade FL numerous times. The thing is when texans do it it seems to be put out there ore for all to see. When somone else does it it's almost like it never happened. And have you heard some of the NY'ERS and Chicagoans. They diss EVERY SUNBELT CITY, including ATL. They do non-stop. They NEVER show love to ATL. Havent you heard them talking about how ATL is a sprawling mess? But it seems like im the only person noticing these things. Are there no Atlantians boosting there own city? Atlanta IS a GREAT city, but i've heard people from there always talk about the OLYMPICS and COKE and what not and really boost there city, and theres NOTHING wrong with that, except when Texas does it. Everybody talks down once in a while.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 PM

492 posts, read 869,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Ironically, there was a thread the other day discussing statistics regarding national migration patterns. There was a chart linked that showed that Texas has the lowest rate of out-migration in the country. In other words, no other state has as many native-born residents as Texas does. So who is provincial in this equation?
Ah... in NY they just call them Puerto Ricans.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 PM

23,109 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Everyone does it. New Yorkers do it alot to. I've also heard Atlantians downgrade FL numerous times. The thing is when texans do it it seems to be put out there ore for all to see. When somone else does it it's almost like it never happened. And have you heard some of the NY'ERS and Chicagoans. They diss EVERY SUNBELT CITY, including ATL. They do non-stop. They NEVER show love to ATL. Havent you heard them talking about how ATL is a sprawling mess? But it seems like im the only person noticing these things. Are there no Atlantians boosting there own city? Atlanta IS a GREAT city, but i've heard people from there always talk about the OLYMPICS and COKE and what not and really boost there city, and theres NOTHING wrong with that, except when Texas does it. Everybody talks down once in a while.
No, I notice it, too...how could one not?...it's relentless! And I challenge any of you Aggies to find a post where I have denigrated TX or its' cities; on the contrary, I have thoroughly enjoyed my times there. And yes, if there's any part of the country that I have been critical of it's south FL...but at least my opinions are grounded in the fact that I actually lived there for 7 years...unlike the armchair critics on here that have so much to say based on so little knowledge and personal experience.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Everyone does it. New Yorkers do it alot to.

Everybody talks down once in a while.
Reminds me of some New Yawkers moved to Texas during the great rust belt migration of the 70's. When I told them I had driven thru NYC... to get to the other side... was headed for Boston, they collectively enforced that there wasn't anything on the other side.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:14 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,911,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
Reminds me of some New Yawkers moved to Texas during the great rust belt migration of the 70's. When I told them I had driven thru NYC... to get to the other side... was headed for Boston, they collectively enforced that there wasn't anything on the other side.
If your going to make something up at least think about it first before you post. Most New Yorkers collectively love what is on the other side. It is called New England.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If your going to make something up at least think about it first before you post. Most New Yorkers collectively love what is on the other side. It is called New England.
Will do. Was there, was real. The people from upstate New York, Plattsburgh. So you don't really need to imply I made this up.

So, obviously you speak for most but not all New Yorkers. Collectively or individually. Sorry to disappoint.

Thanx

Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 PM

18,638 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No, I notice it, too...how could one not?...it's relentless! And I challenge any of you Aggies to find a post where I have denigrated TX or its' cities; on the contrary, I have thoroughly enjoyed my times there. And yes, if there's any part of the country that I have been critical of it's south FL...but at least my opinions are grounded in the fact that I actually lived there for 7 years...unlike the armchair critics on here that have so much to say based on so little knowledge and personal experience.
Are you referring to all Texans as Aggies? You know you're wrong for that.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:29 PM

23,109 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Are you referring to all Texans as Aggies? You know you're wrong for that.
Yeah, but I promise I won't be offended if you call me a Bulldog

Old 01-06-2009, 07:33 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,911,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
Will do. Was there, was real. The people from upstate New York, Plattsburgh. So you don't really need to imply I made this up.

So, obviously you speak for most but not all New Yorkers. Collectively or individually.

Thanx
You remembered for more than 30 years during the "great rust belt migration" that New Yawkers collectively enforced (18 million people at the time) that was nothing on the other side. I think I have good reason to be skeptical.

I would add you said "driving through NYC" giving the impression that it was NYC people (not a few in upstate Plattsburgh) who said that. I think that this is false, most city people I know love New England (except maybe on this board lol). In fact New Englanders might say they love it too much!

Finally if you do not want anyone to question you like this - try simply to avoid attacking someone's city or state in the future unneccessarily. It works out fine that way.

Thanx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or