Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:45 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy404 View Post
Can we not use the word guido so freely? You mostly likely wouldn't keep saying the n word so is it logical to use a nother racial slur?
But, isn't it ok to be racist as long as it's not towards "African Americans"?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 AM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm fairly new to this forum, but I bet this has been said many time before -- forgive me for repeating it if I am. People don't like Texas because many Texans are arrogant jerks. I know that's a stereotype, and I've met some nice, humble Texans. But far too many of them are loudmouth louts who go on and on about how Texas is the absolute best plot of soil this side of heaven. Well, I've been to Texas. Not all of it, but parts of it. It's not all that.
Many Texans have to justify Texas' "greatness" by downgrading other places. As an Oklahoman this gets old hearing their insults of our state when they generally don't know what they are talking about.

It's a shame that people have to downgrade other places (even Texas) because they can't appreciate anything due to their own ignorance.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Ironically, there was a thread the other day discussing statistics regarding national migration patterns. There was a chart linked that showed that Texas has the lowest rate of out-migration in the country. In other words, no other state has as many native-born residents as Texas does. So who is provincial in this equation?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 AM

181 posts, read 849,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Texas is far from the most misunderstood state.

I don't see anything more unusual about Texas' sterotypes compared to reality than any other state.
Let me put it this way.....

Illinois is one of the most redneck-filled states. We can agree on that. It is objective fact. Nothing against illinois! Chicago is great. But anyone who's spent any time whatsover in Illinois (not just southern!) knows it's filled with...er...low-class whites. I'm talking nascar-watching, bush-voting types, with bad grammar and hick accents.

Now - does anyone talk about that? Nope. The whole image is Chicago.

But people forget about Dallas/Houston/Austin/SA/EP when they talk about TX. It's like they focus all on certain areas.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:15 AM

327 posts, read 1,050,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
To be completely fair, New Jersey isn't just one big industrial wasteland with high crime.

It's one big industrial wasteland with high crime and a few heavily, heavily taxed nice suburbs.

seriously???..threads like this are made because of people like you...ignorant people

Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 AM

181 posts, read 849,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Ironically, there was a thread the other day discussing statistics regarding national migration patterns. There was a chart linked that showed that Texas has the lowest rate of out-migration in the country. In other words, no other state has as many native-born residents as Texas does. So who is provincial in this equation?

It's the economy, stupid.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
It's the economy, stupid.
The motives behind the lack of out-migration are irrelevant in this context.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Let me put it this way.....

Illinois is one of the most redneck-filled states. We can agree on that. It is objective fact. Nothing against illinois! Chicago is great. But anyone who's spent any time whatsover in Illinois (not just southern!) knows it's filled with...er...low-class whites. I'm talking nascar-watching, bush-voting types, with bad grammar and hick accents.

Now - does anyone talk about that? Nope. The whole image is Chicago.

But people forget about Dallas/Houston/Austin/SA/EP when they talk about TX. It's like they focus all on certain areas.

I'm not from Illinois, but for you to state that "Illinois is one of the most redneck-filled states" as "objective fact" is going too far. "Objective fact" means that this is not your opinion, but has been proven to be the case. Really - and can you show me where this has been proven to be the case?
One shouldn't really make statements as fact, that are only opinions and nothing more. I've done a fair amount of traveling, and I think it's safe to say that every state has rednecks. I'm sure some states have more rednecks than others, but to single out Illinois only shows your bias.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
if anything, certain texan cities are misunderstood. it's not really the state as a whole.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm fairly new to this forum, but I bet this has been said many time before -- forgive me for repeating it if I am. People don't like Texas because many Texans are arrogant jerks. I know that's a stereotype, and I've met some nice, humble Texans. But far too many of them are loudmouth louts who go on and on about how Texas is the absolute best plot of soil this side of heaven. Well, I've been to Texas. Not all of it, but parts of it. It's not all that.
Well, it is! Geez! How can you expect us to live in such an amazing and beautiful state and not keep it to ourselves You haven't lived yet, until you've visited the GREATEST state ever....TEXAS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.